Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Old August 28th 03, 02:49 PM
Jeremy Mortimer

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Nigel wrote in
:

Lech is still on the same pass as St Anton,St Christoph,Rendl,Zurs. You
can get some great skiing in early December & Lech is one of the few
places that is pretty snow sure . Lech & Zurs is fantastic for
Off-Piste however it will be a little to early for that unless they get
a copuple of huge October/November dumps.

As for Food , you can eat pretty well in Lech, dont expect any McDonalds
kind of places but you can get a cheap Pizza etc. However, it your going
to Lech you may as well lap it all up .The Hotel restaurants are the
best places to eat, the food is top quality , some of the Hotels have
award winning chefs .

You can eat very well on the slopes as well. This place is worth a visit
. "Alter Goldener Berg" http://www.hospiz.com/start.asp

Absolutely - the Hospiz is a fantastic restaurant, and not nearly as
expensive as it looks (for lunch, at any rate). Note that it's not in Lech,
though - it's in St Christoph.

In Lech, it's nice to eat on the terasses of the hotels in Oberlech
(Uberlech? can't remember). Right on the slopes a couple of hundred metres
above the bottom lifts, and facing the sun.

Jeremy
Old August 28th 03, 03:59 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

All this talk about Lech has convinced me it's a good place to go.
So what are the chances of finding reasonable-priced self catering
accommodation there over new year week (27/12 - 3/1)?

I don't fancy St. Anton - from what I hear it's far too noisy for the
likes of us. I've heard Stuben (I think it was) might be good though...

And coming by car, is there any chance we might not be able to get
there?

If they could sort out their web site, maybe I could check some of
these things for myself, but it keeps crashing my browser.

Adrian
--
http://www.nspcc.org.uk/donate-4-free ais@
Adrian Shaw, Adran Cyfrifiadureg, Prifysgol Cymru, aber.
Old August 28th 03, 07:10 PM
Alex Heney

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:41:35 +0200, "Ivan Rafn"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" skrev i en meddelelse
news
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:58:29 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ian Spare" was updset enough to wrote
Of course it's !"£$ing ski station, are you on drugs or what?
Before posting drivel again try and get your brain engaged and sort
out your posting style, ie attibution and don't top post.

More Drivel:
I would call 'Station Oz' a ski station. As it is, a, well ... 'ski
station'
I would call St Anotn a village/town as it is a well... town?

The is Europe, it's rec.skiing.resorts.europe, we call a ski station
somewhere that has access to a ski area, like a train station lets you
ride the train.

Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we would
surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is different in
UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere station?

Why on earth would you want to? They are not mutually exclusive terms.

To me a ski station would be any location with ski lifts which can be
accessed without requiring other lifts. If that happens to be a town,
then it is also a town.

A town is not a definition which has anything to do with skiing.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Which way to Castle Anthrax?

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
Old August 28th 03, 07:14 PM
Alex Heney

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:13:37 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why can't we
move with the technology?

Because it is NOTHING to do with teletypes.

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

I only bottom post, because if you don't you get shouted at. If people
snipped irrelevant text it would not be such a problem, but they don't and I
get ****ed off by having to scroll down through reams of stuff I have read
before to find a 1 line silly comment at the bottom. if it was top posted
life would be much simpler!

Only if you are not interested in the context.

I quite agree that there are too many people who don't snip properly,
but that is actually seen more in top posters than bottom.

If you are actually interested in the context, then top posting is
*much* harder to read, because you have to skip backwards and
forwards.

Old August 29th 03, 08:28 AM
Nigel

Accomodation in that week is the most expensive & of the season & the
most difficult to get . Most of the self catering units get blocked
booked up by the big scandinavian tour company's. ALot of people
especially from Germany just come down for the New Year celebrations.

Persistance is the name of game in getting accomodation in this period.
I would say that 75% of visitors to the Arlberg are regular repeat
visitors like myself, so we are booked in by default until we cancel.
All the hotels & Landlords are looking for customers who will fill there
houses for a complete week or two.

Goodluck

Nigel

Old August 29th 03, 01:07 PM
Ivan Rafn

"Ivan Rafn" Wrote:
Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we would
surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is different in
UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere station?

Thank's for clarification everyone. I will remember to call a Ski Area a
Ski Station from now on.

Old August 29th 03, 01:22 PM
MoonMan

In k, Ivan Rafn typed:
"Ivan Rafn" Wrote:
Hi, I am puzzled too.

Please don't be offended, but in Scandinavia and all cross Europe we
would surely call a town like St. Anton a town. This apparently is
different in UK.
I am curious, how do one differentiate between a town and a mere
station?

Thank's for clarification everyone. I will remember to call a Ski
Area a Ski Station from now on.

But only when in France :-)

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old August 29th 03, 01:36 PM
MoonMan

In , Alex Heney typed:
wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why
can't we move with the technology?

Because it is NOTHING to do with teletypes.

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

the norm with email is to add your comment at the top, this is why OE
defaults to it. it makes life simpler because the text which you have
responded to is always immediatly below what you are typing. this is still
linear text with the most relevant information at the top and older less
relevant information after it, much more logical and much more usable.

Do you not like HTML because it isn't "the way we read"?

obski the snow comes first, then we ski on top of it!

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk

Old August 29th 03, 01:59 PM
Ace

In , Alex Heney typed:
wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why
can't we move with the technology?

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

the norm with email is to add your comment at the top, this is why OE
defaults to it.

a) it's not a universal norm

b) usenet |=email

it makes life simpler because the text which you have
responded to is always immediatly below what you are typing. this is still
linear text with the most relevant information at the top and older less
relevant information after it, much more logical and much more usable.

This may be fine and dandy in a two-way conversation, but usenet just
isn't like that. Somebody might be replying to a thread that's already
ten-deep, and will need to see exactly who said what to whom, in
response to what. This isn't easily done in a top-post stylee.

In internal emails one typically quotes the entirety of each post so
far, so one _could_ read them all, by going to the bottom and working
upwards, but on usenet it's accepted that quoted material is trimmed
to the relevant only.

And there are many occasions, even working in a company where
top-posting email is the rule, that I, and others, have resorted to
putting comments in-line with the previous posting, very much like is
normal on usenet.

Do you not like HTML because it isn't "the way we read"?

Many people use newsreaders that are not HTML-enabled so would be
unable to read it. Usenet is a text-only concept, so it's no good
saying all these peeps should upgrade to the latest Windoze kit,
particularly as many of them will have been around, using textonly
software, since before 'the internet' was born.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Old August 29th 03, 02:29 PM
Adrian D. Shaw

Yn erthygl , sgrifennodd
Ivan Rafn :
Thank's for clarification everyone. I will remember to call a Ski Area a
Ski Station from now on.

I'm from the UK, but that's not a term I'd use. It sounds american
to me, not english. Heh, it's certainly not Welsh! Hmm, gorsaf sgio...
I like that!

Adrian