Beyond beginner board?

Old April 8th 04, 09:13 AM
Dean

Default Beyond beginner board?

I've now been boarding for about a month, probably about 20 hours in total,
mainly on indoor 'real' snow (www.xscape.co.uk). A couple of weeks ago I
bought my own board, a K2 'special' ('the offspring' album cover); bindings
(burton CFX), and boots (VANS Daniel Franke).

I've been trying to get my turns to carve rather than slip, so far with only
limited success; then today, I borrowed another board, not an overly
expensive one, a Salomon. I found my turns to be much more presise. My own
board now seems to just kinda bounce around when turning at any speed.

So I'm after some advice/comments, I'm sure that with limited experience my
tehnical
abilities are still developing, but I think I may well have outgrown this
board. So, what should I be looking for, cost is not a major issue but
obviously I don't wanna just buy a board and find it's no beter than the one
I have. Equally, going out and buying the most expensive pro board is
probably not what I need to do at the moment.

The majority of what I'm doing is indoor snow, I live 10 mins from xscape at
Castleford.

Any ideas?

Old April 8th 04, 12:24 PM
Stephen B

I've been trying to get my turns to carve rather than slip, so far with

only
limited success; then today, I borrowed another board, not an overly
expensive one, a Salomon. I found my turns to be much more presise. My own
board now seems to just kinda bounce around when turning at any speed.

So I'm after some advice/comments, I'm sure that with limited experience

my
tehnical
abilities are still developing, but I think I may well have outgrown this
board. So, what should I be looking for, cost is not a major issue but
obviously I don't wanna just buy a board and find it's no beter than the

one
I have. Equally, going out and buying the most expensive pro board is
probably not what I need to do at the moment.

That's the reason I bought a Salomon Driver my second year riding. It's
significantly stiffer, especially torsionally, than my first board. This
really helps keep the board on edge when carving. I've been riding it for a
few years now and it's served me well.

Old April 10th 04, 08:43 AM
Ian S

I live over in Bradford, not too far from Xscape, but haven't been over yet.
Is it good, wats the crowds like, etc.

Old April 10th 04, 09:14 AM
Dean

I live over in Bradford, not too far from Xscape, but haven't been over
yet.
Is it good, wats the crowds like, etc.

It's variable, sometimes it's great, not very busy and all the jumps, rails
etc are open. Other times it's crowded, there's only one lift working, there
are large queues, beginners keep falling, and the jumps/rails are shut.

That's fine for me, I only live 5 mins away, I take a look first and if it's
crap I go home and come back another day, if it's ok then I go on. It seems
to be best late at night (9pm onwards).

It's not cheap, £20 an hour (less per hour if you want longer). I don't mind
paying that when it good, but it's a lot of money if it's crap. Lions ski
club on sunday morning is cheaper, but the jumps/rails are not open.

Overall:

For skiing I found it great to practise before I went to Romania in Feb, but
it's not really big enough except to practise.

For boarding: it's ok when the jumps/rails are open, but a bit disapointing
when they're not.

Quality of the snow is generally fine, I've heard some people moan that it
can be icy, well I go there a lot and I seldom find it very icy; but you
know, if you go on a mountain you also get ice sometimes as well, so I don't
really see what they're moaning about.

It's not a mountain, but it's probably as good as you're going to get
without it. Unfortunaley I'v haven't yet been to Halifax, so I can't compare
it with the dryslope there.

Dean