Jackson Hole Sucks

Old February 6th 04, 04:59 PM
russ

Default Jackson Hole doen't really suck

Been getting out much??.. There's been rumblings of a Utah Dirtbag
Roadtrip.

Do I qualify as a Dirtbag if I have more than 1/2 a binding?
Once it stops snowing here...

-rc
Old February 6th 04, 06:47 PM
John Red-Horse

In article ,
wrote:

Do I qualify as a Dirtbag if I have more than 1/2 a binding?

Yes.

Once it stops snowing here...

So we can expect to see you sometime in June? g

cheers,
john

Old February 6th 04, 10:33 PM
Jeff Davis

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
In article , Jeff Davis says...
Aw...come on. Expand your vocabulary. My peer review in Jackson Hole is
going very well. Isn't that the one that counts?

Only if that's the only place you ski. I always though Black Mesa was the
Center of the Universe?

What we need to do is compile a comprehensive history of the snow pack in
any given area throughout the ski season. Then again, a review of the history
of the snow pack can be directly observed by a little digging. Then again,
skiing with someone who has been watching the local snow pack on a daily
basis is the best bet yet. That's why guides make the big money, eh?
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 6th 04, 10:56 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

Retirement is good, except for the sneaking feeling in the back of the
head that it means shudder old...

Getting old beats the alternative, doesn't it? I remember a memoriam in
my Junior High Anual about a dead girl who was going to be, "Young for
Eternity." My dad has this rap about your corpreal existance being
irrelevant after death because there is no physical limitation to your
spirit. Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 6th 04, 11:12 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
John Red-Horse wrote:

I thought that that was precisely Bob's and Russ's point: You don't need
to be able to deconvolve the precise weather history from a specific
snowpit analysis to know that surface hoar, once formed, will be and will
remain a weak layer once buried.

In my back yard it isn't consistently weak everywhere on all aspects. Kanzler
and I were discussing this layer yesterday and he said, "days like this will
help," [resolve the weakness]. We discussed north aspects, and he agreed with
me that a pit was necessary to decide whether a North Shore or No Shadows
decent was an acceptable risk. We have something to watch, and there are a
lot of crash test dummies out there kicking off slides with 3 and 4 foot
crown fractures to this layer, but not all the time, everywhere, on all
aspects.

As a matter of fact, its getting strong enough some places that several
skiers are skiing over deep slabs with impunity, until one unfortunate
late comer gets slid. In my back yard, today. That's what we're seeing.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 6th 04, 11:17 PM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:

The JH skid was trying to say it would sublime and not be a problem...then
someone died--exactly the point klaus and I made. I didn't start the
thermo/chem lab open book exam part of the thread, but when someone sprays
incorrect techo gibberish...

I said it would get better incrimentally, which it is. Yeah, its down there.
But it isn't sliding every where, on all aspects, all the time. That means
its bonding in some places, and history leads one to think it will persist
on north aspects the longest. Be careful of over generalization, its just
as incorrect as calling buried surface hoar depth hoar.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 6th 04, 11:44 PM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

Retirement is good, except for the sneaking feeling in the back of the
head that it means shudder old...

Getting old beats the alternative, doesn't it? I remember a memoriam in
my Junior High Anual about a dead girl who was going to be, "Young for
Eternity."

That's downright creepy. What idiot thought of that? You didn't go to
a religious school, did you?

My dad has this rap about your corpreal existance being
irrelevant after death because there is no physical limitation to your
spirit.

More crockery. I always thought Carl Sagan was kind of dopey, in spite
of how enjoyable 'Cosmos' was, but he stayed honest to the end with no
deathbed conversion.

Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...

I missed the 60s. Raising tinies sure puts a crimp in free-spirithood.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 7th 04, 02:26 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:

Did he say that just before he was hit by a cement truck? Sorry, but
many don't even have that.

Yes. Everybody has that. That has to do with responsibility and
accountability for oneself. My Uncle ended his life in the garage of
his home in Big Horn, Wyoming at the wheel of his idling pickup. He
was 78. I'd hate to have some CNA with a double digit IQ changing my
diapers, so I support his decision to check himself out. We're in part
Native American stock, and thus respect our elders decision to relieve
the tribe of the burden of caring for them.

On that accountability and responsibility note. Every American citizen
who died 11 September 2001 made decisions that lead to their death that
day. A lot of them decided to go to work that day, just like any other.
Some of them decided to fly United or American, for what ever reason.
Every casualty of that day decided when and where they would die.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 02:41 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
klaus wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
Anybody can ski snow that's standing still, eh?

No.

OK. Out of 6 Billion people on the planet, several billion can't ski snow
that's holding still much less moving snow. You're right.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Old February 7th 04, 02:45 AM
Jeff Davis

In article ,
The Real Bev wrote:
Jeff Davis wrote:
Then again, I used to feed him Acid in the '60's...

I missed the 60s. Raising tinies sure puts a crimp in free-spirithood.

I make decisions that move me toward the greatest area of freedom, generally,
given the option.
--
According to John Perry Barlow, "Jeff Davis is a truly gifted trouble-maker."

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM