Jackson Hole Sucks

Old February 4th 04, 04:47 AM
The Real Bev

Default Jackson Hole Sucks

Bob Lee wrote:

Kurt Kniselywrote:

In article , Bob Lee says...

russcosta wrote:

It's odd what people place their trust in. In my (limited compared to
many of yours) backcountry snowpack experience, I've placed trust in
only macro-level observations - season history, recent weather, recent
behavior of snowpack at similar elevation & exposure, obvious wind
effects, test slopes, etc. The chemisty and physics of snow crystal
bonding, no matter how much jargon one uses, doesn't appease the
feeling in my gut enough to make me comfortable skiing a slope I'm
otherwise concerned about.

Hi russ. You're on the right track and doing fine, kid. It doesn't do
to talk it up too much - you can lose track of what's important. Words
are...words.

Do you have something better to talk about?

Janet Jackson's boob?

But no, not really - it's certainly better than the crap on my desk at
work.

Retirement is good, except for the sneaking feeling in the back of the
head that it means shudder old...

... Nothing wrong with a basic understanding at the micro-level.

Absolutely not. I just meant that over-analysis and getting caught up
in terms and words can distract a person from the actual situation - at
least that can happen if you're a simpleton like me. I just liked russ'
"macro-level obs" approach.

For something that has a practical application, I can only listen to so
much detail...but that's just me. Like forest-fire researchers are
important in my line of work, but if I listen to them too long, I can
miss the bottom line and overlook how the wind feels in my face.

Paralysis by analysis. Was it in some Conan movie where Ahnold said
"Enough talk!" and whacked off someone's head? Bev?

Sounds familiar, but I don't have them memorized. HONEST! Well, maybe
a few lines: "I let him go." "Come with me if you want to live." It's
interesting to see how he shrunk gradually over the years -- well,
except for that picture where he had quite a but of subcutaneous fat...
I've only seen the first Conan movie recently, and I think it was in
that one. Why does everybody dump on Grace Jones in the second one? I
thought she was cool.

Lets talk about Munter 3x3, or is the detailed analysis of alpine boot
buckles more to your likeing?

Jeez, carry on by all means - I was just trying to let russ know I
appreciated his thoughts concerning the empirical. I promise I'll sit
quietly.

I am more and more coming to believe that the left brain is over-rated.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 4th 04, 04:49 AM
The Real Bev

Jeff Davis wrote:

In article ,
Kurt Knisely wrote:
Danno always carried a 'lung while skiing, and he died scrambling on Class IV
rock in the middle of the summer. Some guy skiing solo in Cardiff (last yr?),
didn't have one and two Doctors and an EMT dug him out before he lost too many
brain cells (they witnessed the slide). Sometimes I really wonder...when your
time is up, your time is up and so far we've all taken a number.

I was raised by an Uncle who fought his way from Guadalcanal to Okinawa during
the war. He said all you have in life is deciding when and where you die.
That isn't such a bad deal, now that I'm old enough to really think about it.

Did he say that just before he was hit by a cement truck? Sorry, but
many don't even have that.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old February 4th 04, 05:21 AM
The Real Bev

tm wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
Bob Lee wrote:

[...]
Paralysis by analysis. Was it in some Conan movie where Ahnold said
"Enough talk!" and whacked off someone's head? Bev?

Sounds familiar, but I don't have them memorized. HONEST! Well, maybe
a few lines: "I let him go." "Come with me if you want to live." It's
interesting to see how he shrunk gradually over the years -- well,
except for that picture where he had quite a but of subcutaneous fat...
I've only seen the first Conan movie recently, and I think it was in
that one.

I believe you are correct. I got a call into Oliver Stone, the
screenplay writer, but that bitch always makes me wait. See if i ever
give him hairgrowth advice again.

They use you and then they drop you. It was ever thus.

Why does everybody dump on Grace Jones in the second one? I
thought she was cool.

It was just recently called to my attention that Andre the Giant was
in the second one. Dreadful movie, but now i'm going to have to watch
it again.

Then you're a Princess Bride fan too?

From a user-reviewer who hated the movie and thanks god for 'Batman &
Robin' which keeps it from being the absolutely worst movie Ahnold has
ever been in, although I'd have to say his worst was 'The Villain':

"The rest of it is bad joke after bad joke while this group walks along
a paper-thin plot. I am the kind of guy that loves traditional FX and
despises CGI, but even the effects in this one sucked. When Dagoth comes
to life, he turns himself into GODZILLA, and he's so obviously a man
(Andre the Giant of The Princess Bride, a movie miles better than this)
in an unrealistic rubber suit, that it's absolutely laughable, given the
budget this movie had. Even the score was sub-par, it just was a low
rent, badly played version of the masterful CtB soundtrack. The only
thing I liked were the sets, which were pretty well-made, and save the
movie from the 1/10 rating."
Old February 4th 04, 06:10 AM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:
you can lose track of what's important. Words are...words.

It's worse that that... "words are the enemy". Language is too
imprecise, And as soon as you express it, you tied it down to our
language, language skills, and time you had to express it.. Then
there's the other side, the person interpreting. It's like trying to
nail Jello to the wall.

Better to grab a hammer, Jello, and nail and go try it. Try it with
several different flavors of Jello. And several different
hammers. Compare and contrast.

-klaus

Old February 4th 04, 06:12 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
Anybody can ski snow that's standing still, eh?

No.

-klaus

Old February 4th 04, 06:15 AM
klaus

Bob Lee wrote:
Like forest-fire researchers are important in my line of work, but
if I listen to them too long, I can miss the bottom line and
overlook how the wind feels in my face.

This space intentionally left blank

Old February 4th 04, 06:27 AM
klaus

Jeff Davis wrote:
In article ,
klaus wrote:

It's not random. It's cause and effect. See also: Karma.

But causality breaks down at the quantum level and we're left with
probabilities... Oh ****!

Wow.. You hang at the quantum level? I don't.. so cause and effect
works pretty well from my experience.

-klaus

Old February 4th 04, 06:29 AM
klaus

BobPeters wrote:
Careful, Klaus. You're hitting awfully close to home. ;-)

I was wondering how it would be before someone mailed you...

;

uhh, Straayyyynger...

-klaus

Old February 4th 04, 10:53 AM
Terd Fartingmor

On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:31:34 -0700, Bob Lee wrote this
crap:

Do you have something better to talk about?

Janet Jackson's boob?

I saw Jackson's boob during the halftime show. I have yet to see
Jackson's Hole.

This signature is now the ultimate power in the universe

Suggestions for accomodation in Jackson Hole Janet North American Ski Resorts 3 February 22nd 04 05:11 PM
Jackson Hole Switters Snowboarding 3 December 2nd 03 11:46 AM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider North American Ski Resorts 1 November 19th 03 11:27 PM
Jackson Hole WY 2004 Ski rentals and snowmobiling? Spider Alpine Skiing 0 November 17th 03 04:30 PM
Jackson Hole Helen Montfort North American Ski Resorts 3 October 28th 03 03:12 PM