Skiing colleges

Old March 12th 04, 08:13 PM
Carol Haas

Default Skiing colleges

My daughter is a junior in high school and is looking for colleges to
attend. She's a "middle of the pack" skier on her high school team and
would like to ski recreationally in college. Any suggestions of colleges
where students nordic ski for recreation? She's an excellent student and
is interested in the sciences--chemistry, biology, biochemistry, etc.
We're going to Burlington, Vermont to attend my son's national hockey
champioship at the end of this month, so are especially interested in
colleges in New England at this point, but all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
Carol

Old March 12th 04, 09:06 PM
Jeff Potter

UMich used to have a big XC ski club, with full funding, van, upnorth
house, suits, wax money, gas cards, the works---we got great results,
photos in the papers, praise from the U as being among the best-run club
sports. No college kids wanted to XC ski anymore, despite all these perks
and the fact that you obviously didn't have to ski. It's mostly just a way
to get outside for exercise in the fall---we did paddling, dryland,
whatever. Then to get upnorth on weekends in the winter. We had iceskaters.
Shoers woulda been welcome. Anyone. ZERO INTEREST. No interest in
cheap/free local outdoor rec at the entire UMich. Not in those days
anyway...and of course no one has revived the club.

When I first moved back to MSU-town, I attended an Outing Club meeting to
see what was up: all trips discussed/offered were remote and expensive.
Nothing related to what I would really call "outing." --Just whitewater
(500 miles away, thrill not 'outing') and caving (100's miles away). I
thought college kids we 1.) poor, 2.) smart/curious.

I went to MSU in early 80's---we did some real trips with the Outing Club:
drive a couple hours north in the winter and go paddling on the AuSable
then tent out in the snow (after pulling gear into boonies on sled), then
XC ski all the next day. A heavenly $10 weekend for a college kid.

I dunno if UM has an Outing Club. They had a cool old Voyageurs Club
loghouse by the river that some Nat-Sci students lived in and which offered
a public Sunday dinner.

XC, Outing, Cycling and even Alpine clubs could work together on campuses,
eh? --We used to do a big Ski Swap with the alpine club.

The UM alpine club has always been booming with its exotic, expensive
airplane-based ski outings. I do think they may have occasionally skied or
trained at a ski hill that was "only" 30 miles away. The XC club trained
basically on the huge, gorgeous campus properties around town. No car
needed. And of course the XC club trained and skied on WORLD CLASS trails
as well, since that's what Michigan has everywhere. The alpine club when
skiing locally or in state skied on CRAP. But the butterblondes still loved
it, I gather. Grrrrr....

Man, it still burns me up.

--

Jeff Potter
****

Old March 12th 04, 09:51 PM
ML

Middlebury (VT), UVM, Dartmouth, University of NH. All seem to have
very good teams. UVMs coach of the last 25 years retired at the end of
last season and this year wasn't quite as good but I suspect it's a
learning curve. Dartmouth seems to always have a good team.

MOO,
Matt

Old March 12th 04, 09:52 PM
Chris Cline

--0-271488505-1079131495=:86697

Hi Carol-
Maybe your daughter should check out the University of Utah. They have a good ski team, but they are pretty packed with skiiers from Scandanavia, etc. It sounds like your daughter wouldn't be heading down that track though. What the UofU does have that might interest her is:

A very good program in her interest areas-- the UofU and/or their medical school is aligned with the Huntsman Cancer Center (cutting edge genetic research), a variety of pharmacological research labs (more genetics, biochem, drug development, etc), bioengineering and biosciences (heart valves, neuro repair, etc). Dan Vargo, who posts to this list occasionally, I believe is affiliated with the UofU hospital, and might be able to provide more info about health science related programs. The U also has a good materials science, and chemistry program if your daughter is more engineering and less biologically inclined.

for the fun stuff, there is very good skiing (of all kinds) very close, and a local culture of skiing, trail running, climbing, biking, etc. It's a granola paradise out here. As far as recreational ski racing, we have a great program with good citizen's races, proximity to big races if you want to do them, and a close, homey group of XC skiiers. As far as this goes, check out the website for The Utah Nordic Alliance (www.utahnordic.com)

A bit far away from New England, but think of it this way-- now you would have an excuse to come out here, too!

good luck to your daughter!
Chris Cline
SLC, UT

Carol Haas wrote:
My daughter is a junior in high school and is looking for colleges to
attend. She's a "middle of the pack" skier on her high school team and
would like to ski recreationally in college. Any suggestions of colleges
where students nordic ski for recreation? She's an excellent student and
is interested in the sciences--chemistry, biology, biochemistry, etc.
We're going to Burlington, Vermont to attend my son's national hockey
champioship at the end of this month, so are especially interested in
colleges in New England at this point, but all suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
Carol

Yahoo! Search - Find what youre looking for faster.
--0-271488505-1079131495=:86697

DIVHi Carol-/DIV
DIVMaybe your daughter should check out the University of Utah.  They have a good ski team, but they are pretty packed with skiiers from Scandanavia, etc.  It sounds like your daughter wouldn't be heading down that track though.  What the UofU does have that might interest her is:/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVA very good program in her interest areas-- the UofU and/or their medical school is aligned with the Huntsman Cancer Center (cutting edge genetic research), a variety of pharmacological research labs (more genetics, biochem, drug development, etc), bioengineering and biosciences (heart valves, neuro repair, etc).  Dan Vargo, who posts to this list occasionally, I believe is affiliated with the UofU hospital, and might be able to provide more info about health science related programs.  The U also has a good materials science, and chemistry program if your daughter is more engineering and less biologically inclined./DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVfor the fun stuff, there is very good skiing (of all kinds) very close, and a local culture of skiing, trail running, climbing, biking, etc.  It's a granola paradise out here.  As far as recreational ski racing, we have a great program with good citizen's races, proximity to big races if you want to do them, and a close, homey group of XC skiiers.  As far as this goes, check out the website for The Utah Nordic Alliance (A href="http://www.utahnordic.com"www.utahnordic.com/A)/DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVA bit far away from New England, but think of it this way-- now you would have an excuse to come out here, too!/DIV
DIV
DIV /DIV
DIVgood luck to your daughter!/DIV
DIVChris Cline/DIV
DIVSLC, UT/DIVBRBRBICarol Haas >/I/B wrote:/DIV
BLOCKQUOTE class=replbq style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid"My daughter is a junior in high school and is looking for colleges to BRattend. She's a "middle of the pack" skier on her high school team and BRwould like to ski recreationally in college. Any suggestions of colleges BRwhere students nordic ski for recreation? She's an excellent student and BRis interested in the sciences--chemistry, biology, biochemistry, etc. BRWe're going to Burlington, Vermont to attend my son's national hockey BRchampioship at the end of this month, so are especially interested in BRcolleges in New England at this point, but all suggestions are welcome. BRThanks.BRCarolBRBRBRBRBR/BLOCKQUOTEphr SIZE=1
Do you Yahoo!?br
Yahoo! Search - a href="http://search.yahoo.com/?fr=ad-mailsig-home"Find what youre looking for faster./a
--0-271488505-1079131495=:86697--

Old March 13th 04, 03:01 AM
Jeremy Winick

Carol,

Eastern schools that are not in the NCAA - high competition league
include Cornell and Clarkson in the USCSA (United States Collegiate Ski
Association). Cornell and Clarkson have a history of good coaches and a
range of skiers from quite good and motivated to those who are just out
for fitness and fun. Cornell is obviously the better school, but both
are fairly isolated, so other than academics XC Ski is a good wintertime
activity.

6 years ago when my son was looking for colleges, at first he was
looking for some place where he could continue to ski. He was below the
top, not going to get into the NCAA schools on skiing ability (or make
their teams). Skiing at Division 1 level is a full time committment - no
time for anything much else if you are also a dedicated student
(especially in science and/or engineering). He decided to go to U.
Michigan for mostly academic reasons, and as Jeff Porter noted, there
wasn't an active nordic program there anymore.

Just my two cents worth. You might contact some high school or local
team coaches for their views.

Jeremy Winick
Acton, MA

Carol Haas wrote:
[...]

10 Paul Revere Rd
Acton, MA 01720

Old March 13th 04, 02:19 PM
Derick Fay

I've seen ads for this book on finding a college for nordic
skiers...haven't seen the book.

http://skinnyski.com/notices/archives/oneweek-1.html
Old March 13th 04, 08:58 PM
Lew Lasher

Another New England college that definitely has recreational
cross-country skiing on campus is Colby College in Waterville, Maine.

Not sure, but possibly some of the University of Maine campuses such as
Farmington or, here we go again, Presque Isle (UMPI, which rhymes with
"bumpy") or Fort Kent (UMFK, which doesn't rhyme with anything).

Lew Lasher
Stowe, Vermont and Cambridge, Massachusetts

Old March 14th 04, 11:11 PM
Rob Bradlee

Definitely visit Middlebury - an excellent school with an "outdoorsy"
crowd.

--- Carol Haas wrote:
My daughter is a junior in high school and is looking for colleges to

attend. She's a "middle of the pack" skier on her high school team
and
would like to ski recreationally in college. Any suggestions of
colleges
where students nordic ski for recreation? She's an excellent student
and
is interested in the sciences--chemistry, biology, biochemistry, etc.

We're going to Burlington, Vermont to attend my son's national hockey

champioship at the end of this month, so are especially interested in

colleges in New England at this point, but all suggestions are
welcome.
Thanks.
Carol

=====
Rob Bradlee
Java, C++, Perl, XML, OOAD, Linux, and Unix Training

Old March 19th 04, 04:15 PM
32 degrees

Well ... dang !
How come nobody has mentioned NMU !
Go Wildcats !
Marquette, Michigan - home of the big snow country and Noque !

JK

Old March 19th 04, 05:20 PM
jim farrell

32 degrees wrote:
Well ... dang !
How come nobody has mentioned NMU !
Go Wildcats !
Marquette, Michigan - home of the big snow country and Noque !

JK

And don't forget Michigan Tech, in Houghton MI, the base of the gorgeous
Keeweenaw peninsula. Wild woods past Copper harbor, great place to
MTBike and camp along the shore. Virgin timber. Tech is probably
better academically than NMU, certainly if your daughter is bent in a
scientific way. Great refurbished trails right on campus, a downhill
area just across the canal, and the swedetwon trails just a half hour
away . . .