Dead skunk

Old September 11th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

Default Dead skunk

VtSkier wrote:

Walt wrote:

I think you've hit the nub of the problem - I'd like to get the little
guy out of there *before* the next phase in the series of aromas
commences. If he was alive and moving I could scare him away like I've
done the last several times a skunk tried to make a den under there - no
need for a live trap, I can actually be annoying enough to chase away a
skunk just with my own devices. But he's not moving - the question is
how to be sure he's actually dead and not just ailing.

A well-placed shotgun blast? You'll be sure.

That's what they thought when they tried to blow up the whale.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

Old September 11th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

Walt wrote:

I think you've hit the nub of the problem - I'd like to get the
little guy out of there *before* the next phase in the series of
aromas commences. If he was alive and moving I could scare him away
like I've done the last several times a skunk tried to make a den
under there - no need for a live trap, I can actually be annoying
enough to chase away a skunk just with my own devices. But he's not
moving - the question is how to be sure he's actually dead and not
just ailing.

A well-placed shotgun blast? You'll be sure.

That's what they thought when they tried to blow up the whale.

There is a matter of scale here.
Old September 11th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

VtSkier wrote:

A well-placed shotgun blast? You'll be sure.

As long as we're getting silly --
I've been holding back my suggestion: a long pole, a longer piece of
garden hose taped to the pole, a funnel that fits into the hose, and a
can of gasoline (all items commonly found about the house, or at least
at Home Depot). If the gasoline doesn't chase him out, then he is dead.

Old September 12th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev

VtSkier wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
VtSkier wrote:
Walt wrote:

I think you've hit the nub of the problem - I'd like to get the
little guy out of there *before* the next phase in the series of
aromas commences. If he was alive and moving I could scare him away
like I've done the last several times a skunk tried to make a den
under there - no need for a live trap, I can actually be annoying
enough to chase away a skunk just with my own devices. But he's not
moving - the question is how to be sure he's actually dead and not
just ailing.

A well-placed shotgun blast? You'll be sure.

That's what they thought when they tried to blow up the whale.

There is a matter of scale here.

Yeah, but I don't care HOW small the skunk-bits are, I don't want them
hanging around under my porch until they're eaten by ants or dry up and
stop stinking.

We killed a wasp nest. First the wasps fell down and died and then the
larvae (which look like slugs so I'm not at all sympathetic) fell down
and were devoured by ants within 24 hours. Nowhere near the volume of a
skunk, though.

--
Cheers, Bev
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$
Old September 12th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
Walt wrote:

It seems a skunk has crawled under my deck to die.

But he's not moving - the question is how to be sure he's actually
dead and not just ailing.

I think I'm going to try hosing him down with the garden sprayer. At
least that way I'm 15' away if he sprays again. I'll keep the group
posted as to the results...

Get one of those blaster nozzles with the 1/4" hole. Unless your water
pressure is worthless, you can be 50 or 60 feet away. Wasp spray will
shoot 20 or 30 feet.

Report back.

Well, *that* was pretty unpleasant. After spraying him with the hose I
noticed that the cobwebs all over him were glistening with water
droplets. Cobwebs on a mammal - that's a dead giveaway.

Extracting the skunk wasn't too bad, but he had apparently diareahed
himself and there was a copious amount of repulsive nasty goo underneath
him. It took about an hour to get it all up, since I couldn't stand to
be near it for more than 30 seconds at a time. Well, I'm glad I got it
now rather than waiting another couple of days, and at least there was a
fall crispness in the air with a breeze - I don't think I could have
done it on a hot humid windless August day.

The shotgun would have been a really bad idea. Blasted bits of skunk
and skunk excrement goo all over the place.

The little guy is now quadruple bagged and awaiting the trashman tomorrow.

//Walt
Old September 12th 06, 04:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Sam Seiber

Walt wrote:
Well, *that* was pretty unpleasant. After spraying him with the hose I
noticed that the cobwebs all over him were glistening with water
droplets. Cobwebs on a mammal - that's a dead giveaway.

^^^^ ^^^^^^^^
Interesting choice of words!

Sam "God I miss ski season" Seiber
Old September 14th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
bdubya

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 11:21:04 -0400, Walt
wrote:

While we're all waiting around for the snow to fly, I was wondering if
you all could help me with some advice of a practical natu

Y'know, this has been an education in the flaws of the on-line
tablature community; EVERY site has the same damn chord progression
from some guy named Danny:
http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1550895
It's not even tabs, f'chrissakes, although it's billed as such - it's
just chords. Not that the bouncing bass line is remotely hard to work
out; it's so easy I can do it myself (too lazy to tab it, though).
Just pick the alternating bass notes with a hammer-on on the up-beat.

b"technicolor, man"w
Old September 14th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Walt

wrote:

While we're all waiting around for the snow to fly, I was wondering if
you all could help me with some advice of a practical natu

Y'know, this has been an education in the flaws of the on-line
tablature community; EVERY site has the same damn chord progression
from some guy named Danny:
http://www.911tabs.com/link/?1550895
It's not even tabs, f'chrissakes, although it's billed as such - it's
just chords. Not that the bouncing bass line is remotely hard to work
out; it's so easy I can do it myself (too lazy to tab it, though).
Just pick the alternating bass notes with a hammer-on on the up-beat.

Interesting, in that local legend has it that the actual historical
physical dead skunk that was immemoralized in Louden's lyrics was
located nowhere other than right here in Tree City USA.

I'm sure mine will not be quite so famous. But at least I have this for
inspiration: http://www.scalzi.com/perspectivecat.jpg

//Walt

Dead and rotting Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 2 August 15th 06 08:56 PM
Dead and stinking Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 1 July 24th 06 09:06 PM
Still dead Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 1 June 13th 06 03:37 PM
Dead and stinking Two Buddha Alpine Skiing 0 January 3rd 06 08:26 PM
Dylan and the Dead bdubya Alpine Skiing 7 August 5th 03 08:04 PM