A Snow and ski forum. SkiBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » SkiBanter forum » Skiing Newsgroups » European Ski Resorts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old September 4th 03, 05:53 PM
James Hart
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

Jonathan Gogan wrote:
"BrritSki" wrote in message
...
Ace wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 09:53:15 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

"Ace" wrote in message
...
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:24:02 +0100, Sue
wrote:

snip

To make it easier to read just your comments, you might like to
change your outlook settings to prefix each line of quoted text
with a , like what most other folk do. Also you could try snipping
unneeded test in the post you're quoting.


You're wasting your time Ace, he's been doing this for years.

His wonderful "threading newsreader" is dear old Outlook Express,
but I guess he's not smart enough to use a real newsreader and check
it several times a day.

He top posts, doesn't snip as he even he says he should, doesn't
understand what a -- line does and doesn't prefix quoted lines with
a . The end result is that it's impossible to read his gems without
looking at the post he's replying to to see what wisdom he's added.

Which is just as well because most of what he writes is indeed
drivel, so he can stay in the kf with the rest of the ignorant
trolls.


Britt;
I sent your insight to some friends and they responded
http://www.owari.ne.jp/~ima2clf/womens-institute-applauding.jpg


That's the second NG I've seen that link posted on in the last few minutes,
are the WI taking over usenet or summat?

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/


Ads
  #52  
Old September 4th 03, 10:55 PM
Alex Heney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 09:06:32 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 20:51:44 +0000 (UTC), Alex Heney
wrote:

Top-posting

Among the hundreds of thousands of people posting to usenet, I doubt
if there are more than a few dozen (AT MOST) who would agree with you
here.


Sadly, there are quite a lot more than that, mostly through simple
ignorance, however. But on uk.rec.motorcycles (one of the largest
froups in the world) we see quite a few arguning this point, mostly
just trolling, mind.

But your point is still entirley true - it's only a few awkward sods
and quite a lot of ''didn't know any better' newbies who prefer to
post that way.


I wasn't talking about just thinking top posting is better, but about
him also saying that snipping everything is better.

there are people who do it out of ignorance, but that was the first
time I have ever seen somebody actually try to argue it was better.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
I remember when Saturns were rockets, not cars.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom
  #53  
Old September 5th 03, 07:43 AM
Ace
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

On Thu, 04 Sep 2003 23:55:16 +0100, Alex Heney wrote:

I wasn't talking about just thinking top posting is better, but about
him also saying that snipping everything is better.


Like what I just did? G

Anyway, yeah, I've never know anyone misguided enough to try and argue
that point either.

But I's concluded that he is, like most arguers, simply a troll, so
he's in the kf from now on.
--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)
Ski Club of Great Britain - http://www.skiclub.co.uk
All opinions expressed are personal and in no way represent those of the Ski Club.
  #54  
Old September 5th 03, 08:59 AM
MoonMan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

In , Alex Heney typed:
On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 10:42:25 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:


MoonMan
I only bottom post, because if you don't you get shouted at. If
people snipped irrelevant text it would not be such a problem, but
they don't and

I
get ****ed off by having to scroll down through reams of stuff I
have read before to find a 1 line silly comment at the bottom. if it
was top posted life would be much simpler!


As I said before, it is only laziness on your part which prefers top
posting.


you didn't say it to me and if you did I would have said it's only lazyness
that makes people not snip properly!

Top posting is more logical, if you look at a list where do you want the
items you are most interested in? If it's a to do list where do you put the
things to do first?

--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk


  #55  
Old September 5th 03, 12:30 PM
BrritSki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:
That is also true, but two wrongs do not make a right.

but three lefts make a right.

I expect you're one of those annoying people on carving skis who would
rather do a 270 turn than a 90 ?

in line comments are the most logical IMO, and I tend to delete everything
after my last comment, this has the effect of bottom posting.

Exactly, and if there's only 1 point you want to make and/or the
original was so short and generalised that there's nothing worth
snipping what do you get ? If there's nothing in the original that is
relevant, why are you replying to it ? Seems to me we're arguing the
same thing.

Bottom posting is the historical standard, it is logically indefensible,


Several people have already done it, as have I, arguing that context is
what makes it logical. You've even implied it yourself above !

but as it's the standard it will survive until teenagers take over usenet.

Won't happen, too slow for them. They prfr imdcy o txt n IRC.

If you are writing a letter replying to someone who made several
points and/or asked several questions, surely you start by saying "Re
point/? X: blah blah blah" rather than "blah blah blah (in reply to
your point/? X" ?


writing a letter? are you showing your age? I thought only Bank Managers did
that anymore ;-)


Yes I frequently write letters, admittedly usually to accountant or IFA.
I did though recently have an exchange with a certain hire-car co with
lots of claim and counter-claim that was exactly as I described above. I
won 2 refunds - not because of my logic (which was impeccable) but
because I ground them down

Or to repeat part of what I posted some days ago:
Q Top posters
A What's the most annoying thing on usenet ?


AH but

A Top posters
Q what's the most annoying thing on usenet

is just like a tv quiz show. (can't remember the name)

I know the one you mean, but the point is that it's a twist on real life
and nobody's suggesting that it is a "better" way of dealing with
things, any more than The Weakest Link is reality.

BTW IMO the most annoying thing on usenet is people who respond to rsa's pet
kook .


Which one ?

More importantly, what's the most annoying thing on a mountain?

A snowboarder ?


  #56  
Old September 5th 03, 01:38 PM
MoonMan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:
That is also true, but two wrongs do not make a right.

but three lefts make a right.

I expect you're one of those annoying people on carving skis who would
rather do a 270 turn than a 90 ?

snip

but as it's the standard it will survive until teenagers take over
usenet.

Won't happen, too slow for them. They prfr imdcy o txt n IRC.


Ur prbly Rght

snip

Yes I frequently write letters, admittedly usually to accountant or
IFA. I did though recently have an exchange with a certain hire-car
co with lots of claim and counter-claim that was exactly as I
described above. I won 2 refunds - not because of my logic (which was
impeccable) but because I ground them down


Cor do you mean you got back twice what you paid, or did they get you on two
occasions?

snip

BTW IMO the most annoying thing on usenet is people who respond to
rsa's pet kook .


Which one ?


True!

More importantly, what's the most annoying thing on a mountain?

A snowboarder ?


I was hoping for something more original, like Bars you have to walk up to



--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk


  #57  
Old September 5th 03, 01:52 PM
MoonMan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:
That is also true, but two wrongs do not make a right.

but three lefts make a right.

I expect you're one of those annoying people on carving skis who would
rather do a 270 turn than a 90 ?


oops didn't put in my comment

No I'm a Slalom skier, the idea is to turn as little as possible, but still
get round the poles.

Mind you I was practicing carved circles at Easter in Tignes.


--
Chris *:-)

Downhill Good, Uphill BAD!

www.suffolkvikings.org.uk


  #58  
Old September 5th 03, 02:27 PM
BrritSki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:
MoonMan wrote:
That is also true, but two wrongs do not make a right.

but three lefts make a right.

I expect you're one of those annoying people on carving skis who would
rather do a 270 turn than a 90 ?


oops didn't put in my comment

No I'm a Slalom skier, the idea is to turn as little as possible, but still
get round the poles.

Mind you I was practicing carved circles at Easter in Tignes.


That makes YOU the most annoying ring on the mountain then

  #59  
Old September 5th 03, 02:53 PM
BrritSki
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

MoonMan wrote:

In , BrritSki typed:

Yes I frequently write letters, admittedly usually to accountant or
IFA. I did though recently have an exchange with a certain hire-car
co with lots of claim and counter-claim that was exactly as I
described above. I won 2 refunds - not because of my logic (which was
impeccable) but because I ground them down


Cor do you mean you got back twice what you paid, or did they get you on two
occasions?

The problem was that I'd booked online, then called a few weeks later to
book a ski-rack and asked the guy to check the quote as I've often found
special deals that way and I did indeed get a much better one. When the
bill came it was for more or less the original quote plus the rack, so I
complained but they said that the phone quote didn't include things that
are part of my std. #1 Club (there's a clue as to who it was) settings.
I said that I'd asked for a comparison to an existing quote that
included these items and expressed surprise at the low quote but was
never told that there were extras.

We argued back and forth for a while during which I mentioned some poor
service at Nice airport for which I got an apology and a refund voucher
(I'd never have complained about it normally, I'm not a serial whiner
and eventually they gave me a voucher as a gesture of goodwill. The 2
refunds almost added up to the difference, so it was worth persevering,
especially as normally I get excellent service from them.

  #60  
Old September 5th 03, 07:25 PM
Neil Swingler
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default boring usenet meta discussion


"Alex Heney" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 10:53:43 +0100, "Jonathan Gogan"
wrote:

Britt had an eppo and choked up...

snip

He top posts, doesn't snip as he even he says he should, doesn't
understand what a -- line does and doesn't prefix quoted lines with a

.
The end result is that it's impossible to read his gems without looking
at the post he's replying to to see what wisdom he's added.


Ah: threading (tm)


This is where you prove your complete and utter stupidity.

You seem to think this is a good thing. As I said before, I cannot
believe that there are more than half a dozen people in the world who
think it is better to have to jump around between messages to make
sense of posts.

I wonder who the other 4 are. I always use the threading of my newsreader.

Everybody makes some good points and Jonathon isn't top posting anyway. Can
we leave it now.
This isn't very interesting guys!

- Neil


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skiing in Austria FredB European Ski Resorts 10 August 2nd 03 09:48 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 SkiBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.