Osin, fish, malolo, or something else

Old February 25th 06, 07:49 PM

Default Osin, fish, malolo, or something else

I you were getting a board for deep powder days and tree runs what
would it be?

--Matt

Old February 25th 06, 11:05 PM

Nice long flexi board, with a low, long nose, bindings setback is you
need in pow, a little wider than your normal board.

Old February 27th 06, 01:42 AM

hmm.. It sounds like my Phoenix 163w is about the best I am going to
get for powder. I am still curious about what sort of difference the
narrower tail of the fish would make, and if it does help in powder
would that be offset by the lowwer amount of surface area relative to
the Phoenix?

--Matt

Old February 27th 06, 02:01 AM

Less area less float, eh?
More nose area, more float, but you can setback the stance to get
more nose area.
Big guys need more float in pow.
Little guys can get by with smaller boards for pow.
I'm 148 lbs. ,normally ride a 152/157 for pipe and all around.
My pow boards are 169x26.2 and 163x24.5, depending how the carving
conditions are that day.....

Old February 27th 06, 01:44 PM

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
I you were getting a board for deep powder days and tree runs what
would it be?

--Matt

Matt,
I have the Fish 156 which has a wider nose, large set back, and tapered
tail. Does VERY well in the deep powder and with trees. Setback helps with
minimizing rear leg burn. BTW, I am 6-1, 165 lbs. Shorter length helps with
manuevering in the trees.
I am looking at the Malolo for next year as a combo board. I find the fish
front rides up very well, especially at speed, making turning a smooth easy
flow. In tight trees, shorter length makes for quick turns - just remember
to aim for the white spaces!

Old February 27th 06, 03:56 PM

Matt wrote:
hmm.. It sounds like my Phoenix 163w is about the best I am going to
get for powder. I am still curious about what sort of difference the
narrower tail of the fish would make, and if it does help in powder
would that be offset by the lowwer amount of surface area relative to
the Phoenix?

--Matt

I have the Phoenix 155 and the Fish 156. The Phoenix 155 does a pretty
good job of floating in the powder from a regular board. However, the
fish with the big wide nose and the narrow tail surges to the top of
the powder as soon as you start moving a little because of the
difference between nose and tail surface area. There is a LOT of
setback and a lot of taper to the Fish, so it has very quick/slashing
turns that release quick, good for swishing between trees at speed. The
drawback is that it isn't as fun on groomed - which isn't what it is
designed for (powder and tree powder!). The Burton Malolo and the Prior
Khyber as less severe versions of the same design (all excellent powder
boards, a little less fun on the groomed runs)

Old February 27th 06, 05:41 PM

That sounds pretty sweet. I will definitely have to try to pick one up
on the cheap. I
love a powder a bit to much not to give one of these a try. I fear I am
on the path to
becoming a real board whore.

Thanks for all the info guys.

--Matt

Burton Custom X, Malolo, Nitro m Snowboarding 25 February 6th 06 11:01 AM
Want to Trade: New 156 Fish for 160 Fish G.Kirkwood Snowboarding 8 November 5th 05 03:10 AM
Burton Malolo?? Jim Snowboarding 1 January 29th 05 05:19 PM
Wow, Scott really does jump like a fish rising to my bait The Real Bev Alpine Skiing 1 August 7th 04 03:52 AM
Sad & a bit OT; was Fish Sauce. Was:Talcum Powder for Klister Removal Chris Cline Nordic Skiing 4 March 22nd 04 07:43 AM