Funnest thing about XC: waxing!

Old March 11th 06, 03:27 PM

Default Funnest thing about XC: waxing!

I actually have mixed feelings about waxing but in the end it's
basically the coolest thing about XC.

By spending a little time waxing and testing one can often come up with
skis that are HUGELY faster than the "wax on a hunch" approach.

Or at least this used to always be the case for me. Maybe there's
enough easy access info out there now to lessen the impact of
wax-testing. If so, there's still probably tons of gains to be had just
by following all the correct wax procedure.

The past few years I've had no extra time so I just slap on the wax,
scrape, brush. In my experience spending more time and care really does
pay off.

Something I've never been able to play with is ski flex. I should
probably add that to my list. The experts would put it on top, right?

So, ideally one tests the conditions then picks the ski then makes the
call on structure and wax and puts it on and preps it right then tests
it out, then tries a couple other wax combos to verify then puts on the
wax that proved fastest: then you go out and have a blast skiing on
amazing skis! --Then you make a note in your log as to the conditions
and what worked best.

The sad thing is the time it takes to do it right. Snow can change by
the time you're done! But it doesn't have to take THAT long. And over
the years the data you build up about local snow can give you quick
solutions.

--JP

--JP

Old March 11th 06, 04:12 PM

I'm not into xc skiing yet, but want to, really bad. Main things keeping me
out are lack of snow, and indeed the waxing. If it's so important to get
right, how can I ever compete half-decently if I already have a huge
technical deficit and pushing ski's that won't glide?
In my country there are hardly any XC skiers to learn from, and even less
chances a year to hit the snow, and test what kind of wax works when.
From what I read, there are more different kinds of conditions than I'll
probably even contend races to learn from. I can live with the idea that
I'll be the least fit and least technically capable skier out there, but I
can totally NOT live with the idea that I'm losing xx seconds per km just
due to my amateuristic wax job.
It's like in cyclo-cross racing, all the serious riders are on handmade
tubular tires and carbon wheels. Extremely expensive and non-durable. With
normal tires you're basically laughed at by the competition, and when the
race gets underway you know why.
To me, it seems that XC, and expecially serious racing, is a high threshold
sport, hard to get into for a newbie, even if you're a real talent. I won't
be that talent, but I don't like how you're dependant on lots of snow time
and local guru's to put in a decent race with well-waxed ski's. I honestly
wish there was no such thing as waxing, and ski's weren't so
condition-specific.
In a sport like mountainbiking, my main gig, at least bikes are rel\tively
affordable, and I ride bikes I'm 100% confident and content with, at least
on par with what the pro's are riding. And the effect of a slightly more
high-end bike isn't as much of a difference.
I hope something will be come up with to make XC skiing more accessible for
people new to the sport, away with the waxing mystery!

schreef in bericht
ups.com...

Old March 12th 06, 06:59 PM

Apologies for giving you fear of wax! My experience is that simply
waxed skis are easy to do. Just look at the can and apply. Marginally
waxed skis work great for me usually. I think I could get regular Top30
local race results on skis waxed willynilly.

(I've personally never had equipment hold me back in bike racing---but
I'm sure the higher the level of competition the more it matters. I've
raced rigid mtbike against trick fullsuspension and done just fine. But
I've often enjoyed underdog equipment. If you want an equipment
disadvantage try an old boat in a canoe race. Ouch! But even there as
long as you're in the generally right territory equipmentwise you're
OK. It's when you're off by a full generation of design advance in
canoes that you're off the back in a big way.)

Anyway, to me when I spend an extra few hours on the ski waxing it
tends to really pay off and just gives me a big thrill. But it's the
difference of going from fine skis to rocketships. I get plenty of ski
beauty with any ski I put on. One that's waxed right just puts a big
grin on my face. And one that has the superbest magic discovery wax on
seems like a miracle on snow.

Again, it doesn't take that much wax/rill/brush know-how to get top-10
worthy skis---if they're the right flex to begin with (and given
suitable skill/fitness!). If you're in the groove you could have top-10
skis ready in an hour.

But it's just so much fun for me, if I have the time, to fiddle around
and find the wax that's best among the best. Some combo often will
really stand out. But the 2nd tier soutions are still very good!

I find that I've had these thrill experiences most often when I can go
up a day early---like on a Thurs. Or if I'm living in snow country. And
I need the time!

Just going skiing is the biggest thrill. But having great skis just
makes me giddy on top of it all and is just plain fun.

Our local top skier says he has 7 waxes in his box. I suppose he means
glide waxes. Usually one basic line will work---it's possible that if
you're skiing locally/regionally that you'll find certain waxes really
like your snow and you might end up mixing lines over time, as you
test.

But then again I sometimes resent the advantage that I know can come
from great skis/wax. Especially if I don't have the time to play at
that level. But these days I'm happy to give that level of the game to
those who value it most. I bet they're having fun!

--JP

Old March 12th 06, 07:02 PM

PS: It's probably best to have 3 sets of skis each for classic and
skate. Soft, med, stiff. With fine, med, coarse base grinds to go with
them. Whew. I just have never had the overhead to do it. But maybe
someday I can piece together something via eBay... : ) Right now I
just have 1 soft classic and 1 soft skate. It's a start!

waxing broady Snowboarding 2 February 13th 05 05:44 PM
My boss suddenly claims that waxing is unnecessary... Rob Snowboarding 5 March 8th 04 07:23 PM
First home board WAXing. Did I do anything wrong here? ... toddjb Snowboarding 20 February 6th 04 05:23 AM
Questions about waxing SebB Nordic Skiing 10 December 8th 03 06:47 PM
kids' skis Dhillus Alpine Skiing 10 November 2nd 03 05:44 PM