Amtrak Board Handling

Old January 4th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
chuck

Default Amtrak Board Handling

A groups of us are planning a week at Winter Park traveling Amtrak. I
was wonder if anyone has had any problems with Amtrak and their boards.
Old January 6th 07, 07:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

chuck wrote:
A groups of us are planning a week at Winter Park traveling Amtrak. I
was wonder if anyone has had any problems with Amtrak and their boards.

The only problem I had was trying to check a snowboard from NYC to
Rutland/Killington VT. They don't accept checked luggage on that
route. And the signs at Penn Station NYC clearly say that luggage of
that size can't be carried on. I asked them at baggage handling at
Penn what I was supposed to do and they said it was up to the
conductor. He let me on, which only makes sense, since skiing is the
main reason for the final stop in Killington. You would think they
would have something to make this clear, online, etc, not leave you
standing at Penn Station wondering if you'll be able to take the board.

But, once was enough for me. For all the hassle and the time it takes,
and the cost, it just isn't worth it. In most cases, you;re better off
taking a plane.

Old January 6th 07, 02:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
chuck

On 2007-01-06, wrote:

chuck wrote:
A groups of us are planning a week at Winter Park traveling Amtrak. I
was wonder if anyone has had any problems with Amtrak and their boards.

The only problem I had was trying to check a snowboard from NYC to
Rutland/Killington VT. They don't accept checked luggage on that
route. And the signs at Penn Station NYC clearly say that luggage of
that size can't be carried on. I asked them at baggage handling at
Penn what I was supposed to do and they said it was up to the
conductor. He let me on, which only makes sense, since skiing is the
main reason for the final stop in Killington. You would think they
would have something to make this clear, online, etc, not leave you
standing at Penn Station wondering if you'll be able to take the board.

This is my concern. The Winter Park station is unmanned. I figure they
must let you checkout the boards at the last manned station before
Winter Park.

But, once was enough for me. For all the hassle and the time it takes,
and the cost, it just isn't worth it. In most cases, you;re better off
taking a plane.

With a 150 mile drive to Chicago then a bus/car rental out of Denver
it's a toss up. There's also the fact that 2 of the past 3 weekends it
seem the airport has been closed.
Old January 7th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Nobody

chuck wrote:
was wonder if anyone has had any problems with Amtrak and their boards.

Just as with travel by airplane, it partially depends upon how you pack
the board and who handles the board. The only variable you can control
is how you pack the board. I recommend a padded bag (with wheels) for
travel by airplane and train, especially after watching the baggage
handlers at the Vancouver airport who seemed to be having a contest to
determine who could throw a board/ski the farthest.

Due to the high temps and lack of snow in the Midwest, you should be
able to get a good discount on a padded bag at a local shop.

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 12:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 02:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 05:22 PM