Too much board for me?

Old November 5th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Too much board for me?

"Serena" wrote in message news:heVYg.149430
I was getting more and more frustrated with how hard the board
was to flex. Originally I just assumed that this was due to my now

knowing
how a board should be flexing in a turn, and I just hadn't yet mastered

the
skills to do it.

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Bob

Old November 6th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

Neil
Old November 22nd 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you

might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

That's where we start. First day on the board. Because it works better
that anything else we've encountered. Kids that learn this have a lot less
falls than older methods, in my experience.

Bob

Old November 22nd 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you

might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

That's where we start. First day on the board. Because it works better
that anything else we've encountered. Kids that learn this have a lot less
falls than older methods, in my experience.

I think it's safe to say you have some skeptics. Do you know of any videos
or photo sequences demonstrating this technique? The AASI/PSIA page offered
to sell me a copy of their manual, but the form didn't work.

Old November 22nd 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

Neil

Here's a post discussing it on BOL.

http://tinyurl.com/ybgc6q

Old November 22nd 06, 08:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Jeremy

lonerider wrote:
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

Neil

Here's a post discussing it on BOL.

http://tinyurl.com/ybgc6q

Thanks. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to make a convincing argument one
way or the other.

If it ever snows here, I plan to give the technique a try.
Old November 22nd 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
chuck

Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you

might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate turns.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

That's where we start. First day on the board. Because it works better
that anything else we've encountered. Kids that learn this have a lot less
falls than older methods, in my experience.

I think it's safe to say you have some skeptics. Do you know of any videos
or photo sequences demonstrating this technique? The AASI/PSIA page offered
to sell me a copy of their manual, but the form didn't work.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That happens alot to people not using Microcrap.
Old November 23rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

If, by flex, you mean twisting the board to steer into the turn, you

might
look at your boot position. I've had a number of students that had

their
feet too close together on the board. They thus could not twist the
leading edge into the turn relative to the tail edge to initiate

turns.
Moving their feet apart on the board made a huge difference in their
riding.

Que? Twist the board to start a turn? Why would you want to even try
such a thing?

Neil

Here's a post discussing it on BOL.

http://tinyurl.com/ybgc6q

That reminded me of the 360 thing. That is one clear example
of twisting the board. It would be pretty hard to do them smoothly
without the twist.

Whenever I find myself having problems initiating a turn, I
just remember to throw in the twist and everything gets better.
I get it right earlier each season the last few years. It is a technique
that has drastically improved my riding. My turns are just easier
and more reliable.

I can't imagine a better way to initiate a turn. If skiers had this
kind of control......

Bob

Old November 23rd 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Bob F wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

[...]

I think for me I just don't visualize it as twisting the board, to me
it just a much more subtle motion where the turn is initiated by the
weighting leading edge of the board and finished by the trailing
edge... but thinking about that, that is it is essentially a "twist."
It sounds like a good way to help people initiate their turns better.

Old November 23rd 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"lonerider" wrote in message
oups.com...
Bob F wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message
ups.com...
Neil Gendzwill wrote:
Bob F wrote:

[...]

Next time you are out, just try consciensly doing that to initiate turns.
I am getting to where I do it without thinking about it some of the time,
but I have to do it on-purpose at the beginning of the season.

To anyone wanting to try this - Just start a traverse on your heel
edge. As you traverse, push down (towards the snow) with your
front foot toes while holding up your rear foot toes so the rear edge
stays up, and see what happens. Don't move your body or arms
at all - just stay aligned with your board as it turns. Then do the
opposite for a heel turn. (front toes up) As the board crosses the
fall line, the rear foot follows the front so the board goes fully onto
the new edge.

After getting that working -
The other part of this I haven't mentioned yet is to twist the front
foot in the direction of the turn as you change the front foot edgeing.
This doesn't mean pushing the board around. It just means to
apply pressure to to try to rotate the foot - for a right turn,
pressure clockwise - for a left turn pressure counter-clockwise.
This is just applying rotational force against the binding.
Then, as the rear foot changes it's edge pressure, do the same with
it. It has a subtle effect, tightening the radius of the turn. Apply as
needed.

Bob

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM