Question- please help - stance or ...?

Old April 14th 04, 11:45 AM
Matjaz Prah

Default Question- please help - stance or ...?

Dear friends,

recently I switched from freeride/soft boots to alpine carving/hardboots and
I find out that my first leg (I am goofy) is under much bigger load than
during previous setup (freeride/soft boots). This is specially noticed (uh,
uh, uh) when I am trying to go straight right (faced to down hill - so I am
on heels). My back foot are virtualy no under any load but front start to
give me a big pain above the knee.

Does anybody can give me a tip what I should do with stance and/or angles?
Setback? ...

Currently angles are 47 degree (first leg) 40 degree (back leg).

Thanks for any advice,

Matjaz

Old April 14th 04, 10:34 PM
Mike T

Does anybody can give me a tip what I should do with stance and/or angles?
Setback? ...

Ask over at www.bomberonline.com and/or www.freecarve.com.

It may also be technique related. If you haven't spent any time reading the
articles at www.bomberonline.com it might pay off to do that... there are
several articles that have some good things to say about both stance and
technique.

Also, what kind of boots are you using? Do they have adjustable forward
lean? What kind of bindings are you using? Do they allow you to cant and
lift or are they in a fixed position?

Mike T

Old April 15th 04, 08:14 AM
Matjaz Prah

Thanks,

I will try on suggested forums...

I am using Oxygen boots and yes, they have the adjustable forward lean (I
put in the middle odf the span).

Bindings are Nidecker (carbon) but I don't know the model. Thay are in fix
position.

All the best,

Matjaz

Old April 15th 04, 12:03 PM
Jeremiah Kristal

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 13:45:20 +0200, "Matjaz Prah"
wrote:

Dear friends,

recently I switched from freeride/soft boots to alpine carving/hardboots and
I find out that my first leg (I am goofy) is under much bigger load than
during previous setup (freeride/soft boots). This is specially noticed (uh,
uh, uh) when I am trying to go straight right (faced to down hill - so I am
on heels). My back foot are virtualy no under any load but front start to
give me a big pain above the knee.

Does anybody can give me a tip what I should do with stance and/or angles?
Setback? ...

Currently angles are 47 degree (first leg) 40 degree (back leg).

Your angles seem about right, though you may want to go about 5
degrees more on both feet. From what you're describing though, it
sounds like you're trying to force the board, and are probably
standing too tall.
I would suggest bending your knees more, maybe even widening your
stance slightly. (I generally ride an 18.5inch/47cm wide stance, but
rode significantly wider until I got comfortable with hardboots.) How
are you applying pressure when you're doing slight heelside? The best
(and probably least intuitve) way is to drive your rear (left in your
case) knee forward as if you were trying to tuck it in right behind
your front knee. Keep your weight on balanced over the board, drive
the knee forward, and notice how the pressure is off the front leg,
yet the board still goes where you want it to.
Final point, riding hardboots, especially on really hard snow, can put
a lot more pressure on your legs. Carving in softboots made my stance
flaws obvious, but when I finally switched to hardboots I couldn't
believe how much more I was working my legs. Any stance or boot fit
flaw will become obvious, and there is an adjustment period where
you're fixing the issue. Once you get it worked out, it's awesome.
Then when it's crappy slushy late spring snow, you can pull out your
old softboot setup, surf the slush, and terrorize the park/pipe.

Jeremiah

Old April 15th 04, 01:39 PM
Matjaz Prah

Thank you for your answer.

As I said, I just switched to carve board and hard boots/bindings. I tried
this only once an relatively soft snow surface (a day or two ago there was
snowing and the slopes are not hardening enough with ratrac (vehicles for
stepping the snow and prepare the slopes).

Maybe I need:
1. longer adjustment period
2. to use soft boots / freeride board for such conditions (described above)
3. practice
4. practice
5. practice
6. probably widening the stance

Your angles seem about right, though you may want to go about 5
degrees more on both feet. From what you're describing though, it
sounds like you're trying to force the board, and are probably
standing too tall.

That is my first conclusion, but I felt a little unsecure when I tried to
bend my knees a little more.

I would suggest bending your knees more, maybe even widening your
stance slightly. (I generally ride an 18.5inch/47cm wide stance, but
rode significantly wider until I got comfortable with hardboots.)

Good point!

How are you applying pressure when you're doing slight heelside? The best
(and probably least intuitve) way is to drive your rear (left in your
case) knee forward as if you were trying to tuck it in right behind
your front knee. Keep your weight on balanced over the board, drive
the knee forward, and notice how the pressure is off the front leg,
yet the board still goes where you want it to.

On first possible ocassion I will try that

Final point, riding hardboots, especially on really hard snow, can put
a lot more pressure on your legs. Carving in softboots made my stance
flaws obvious, but when I finally switched to hardboots I couldn't
believe how much more I was working my legs.

!!!!

Any stance or boot fit
flaw will become obvious, and there is an adjustment period where
you're fixing the issue. Once you get it worked out, it's awesome.
Then when it's crappy slushy late spring snow, you can pull out your
old softboot setup, surf the slush, and terrorize the park/pipe.

Jeremiah

Thanks and all the best

Matjaz