Ski / cargo box opinions

Old March 16th 05, 01:57 AM
F. Plant

Default Ski / cargo box opinions

Considering getting a cargo box and wondering about opinions. Thule or
yakima are probably what I'm looking at in 18cu ft size. Yakima looks like
it may be easier to put on/off. Also is it worth going for the higher end
box material for the extra stiffness?

TIA

F.Plant

Old March 16th 05, 02:26 PM
uglymoney

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 21:19:00 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:57:51 -0600, "F. Plant" wrote:

Considering getting a cargo box and wondering about opinions. Thule or
yakima are probably what I'm looking at in 18cu ft size. Yakima looks like
it may be easier to put on/off. Also is it worth going for the higher end
box material for the extra stiffness?

I don't know anything about the Thule's. But I've owned a Yakima
Rocket Box for several years now, no problems with heavy use, and I've
had up to five pairs of skis and poles in it with room to spare.

With my Subaru Outback it's a snap to put on or remove in just a few
minutes.

I have both rack systems. Thule and Yakima. I've idled the Thule
because it was just too much trouble after around five years of salt
and sun the locks and rubber and everything just didn't want to work
turn or connect..

I buy only Yakima stuff based on that experience. Your experience may
vary, and I only have three years with Yakima.

On the box, my experience echoes Astro's, except I think he has had
his box a couple years longer than me. I redrilled my box so that I
could mount if far enough forward that the hatch opens completely on
my Outback, and I fiberglassed the old holes shut. The Yakima
literature specifically says only to use the oem holes, but I've had
no problems with the new holes.

Some of the Thule boxes look like they mount farther forward from the
factorty. That might be a consideration for you..

nate

Old March 17th 05, 02:21 AM
uglymoney

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:55:18 -0600, AstroPax
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:26:52 -0600, uglymoney
wrote:

I redrilled my box so that I
could mount if far enough forward that the hatch opens completely on
my Outback

Sounds like a good idea. Early on, I hit my head a few times until I
adjusted to the lower hatch opening.

I see that the new 2005 Outback's have a spoiler on top of the hatch
which appears to exasperate this problem.

Man, I would really like a new 250hp turbo Outback to rip around the
mountains in, but I figure I can put at least another 150k miles on
the underpowered 2001 that I have now.

It is so tempting. My older legacy owning friend went and test drove
a five speed 2005 turbo and reports that it is awesome. It would
truly be a great ski car. I refuse to test drive one knowing that it
would be a very costly spin around the block.

Oh well. My old car died three years too soon. I figure I've got 7
more years left in the 02 which has all the options that are cool
(like the limited slip rear diff). Its cheap to run and inexpensive
to insure, and does everything I need it to do, it just isn't fast (:

nate

Old March 17th 05, 01:52 PM
F. Plant

wrote:

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:57:51 -0600, "F. Plant" wrote:

Considering getting a cargo box and wondering about opinions. snip

On the box, my experience echoes Astro's, except I think he has had
his box a couple years longer than me. I redrilled my box so that I
could mount if far enough forward that the hatch opens completely on
my Outback, and I fiberglassed the old holes shut. The Yakima
literature specifically says only to use the oem holes, but I've had
no problems with the new holes.

Some of the Thule boxes look like they mount farther forward from the
factorty. That might be a consideration for you..

I've got a 2001 Legacy wagon, so it is an issue. The Thule fits better due
to shorter mounting centers from what the store says. I'll have to check if
the current model looks like it can be modified. I do like the proper
opening handle on the yakima though.

F.Plant

Old March 17th 05, 08:01 PM
MattB

AstroPax wrote:
snip

Man, I would really like a new 250hp turbo Outback to rip around the
mountains in, but I figure I can put at least another 150k miles on
the underpowered 2001 that I have now.

-Astro

I recently picked up an 04 Forester XT (turbo) used and it's a blast.
It has the same 2.5l engine as the STi. It's a great ski car! I haven't
picked up a box yet, but the integrated rack mount rails are really cool
too. I think my favorite thing about it is the sleeper factor. It just
looks like a standard lesbian/family/whatever Forester
(except for the hood scoop) but it hauls ass! (0-60 in 5.3)

Matt

Old March 18th 05, 05:08 PM
bdubya

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:01:33 -0600, MattB
wrote:

AstroPax wrote:
snip

Man, I would really like a new 250hp turbo Outback to rip around the
mountains in, but I figure I can put at least another 150k miles on
the underpowered 2001 that I have now.

-Astro

I recently picked up an 04 Forester XT (turbo) used and it's a blast.
It has the same 2.5l engine as the STi.

You sure about that? I thought it had the "base" WRX turbo engine,
not the 300 HP STi version... hot car regardless.

bw

Old March 18th 05, 05:46 PM
MattB

bdubya wrote:
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 15:01:33 -0600, MattB
wrote:

snip

I recently picked up an 04 Forester XT (turbo) used and it's a blast.
It has the same 2.5l engine as the STi.

You sure about that? I thought it had the "base" WRX turbo engine,
not the 300 HP STi version... hot car regardless.

bw

It's the same 2.5l basic engine, but has a smaller turbo and is a
"de-tuned" 210 HP version. For the mod enthusiasts this is great
because you can just bolt on just about any stock (or aftermarket) STi
part for easy upgrades.
It seems plenty fast for me so I doubt I'll do those anytime soon. If
anything I may get some STi sway bars which are also an easy bolt-on
upgrade.

Matt (my brother has an STi and it's not bad either!)

Old March 21st 05, 11:38 PM
Mary Malmros

I've got the cheapest Yakima box out there...well, just about; it's the
cheapest one that you can fit skis in. your concern about ease of
on/off, t's not something you typically take on and off frequently --
typically, people leave 'em on all winter -- but it's not an Epic
getting it on and off. I can put it on in about ten minutes, remove it
in less.

--
Mary Malmros
Some days you're the windshield, other days you're the bug.