Too much board for me?

Old November 23rd 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
lonerider

Default Too much board for me?

Bob F wrote:
"lonerider" wrote in message

Next time you are out, just try consciensly doing that to initiate turns.
I am getting to where I do it without thinking about it some of the time,
but I have to do it on-purpose at the beginning of the season.

Cool... will do. I think I'm already doing this unconsciously (although
not as much since the board I ride are rather stiff torsionally) as I
do a lot of "front foot edging" while leaving the backfoot in it's
"previously" position (which could be on the opposite edge). I read
that double tracks in the snow is a sign of board twist. I have seen
that in my tracks, but didn't really think much of it at the time (I
was more focusing on making my carved tracks pencil thin and deep).

To anyone wanting to try this - Just start a traverse on your heel
edge. As you traverse, push down (towards the snow) with your
front foot toes while holding up your rear foot toes so the rear edge
stays up, and see what happens. Don't move your body or arms
at all - just stay aligned with your board as it turns. Then do the
opposite for a heel turn. (front toes up) As the board crosses the
fall line, the rear foot follows the front so the board goes fully onto
the new edge.

After getting that working -
The other part of this I haven't mentioned yet is to twist the front
foot in the direction of the turn as you change the front foot edgeing.
This doesn't mean pushing the board around. It just means to
apply pressure to to try to rotate the foot - for a right turn,
pressure clockwise - for a left turn pressure counter-clockwise.
This is just applying rotational force against the binding.
Then, as the rear foot changes it's edge pressure, do the same with
it. It has a subtle effect, tightening the radius of the turn. Apply as
needed.

I definitely do a lot of "front foot" steering as you mentioned. I
don't have any recent video of me. Here's some stuff from 4 years ago
(I'm a little stiff and not as dynamic I like to be, as I was
recovering from a torn ACL). One thing that I see that I do wrong is
that I pop up as the start of each carve. Recently I have been doing
better on keeping my head and shoulder level and executing the
"cross-under" or "cross-through" manuevers more cleanly.

http://tinyurl.com/snfbr

--Arvin

Old November 23rd 06, 01:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 03:02:33 GMT, "Bob F" allegedly
wrote:

To anyone wanting to try this - Just start a traverse on your heel
edge. As you traverse, push down (towards the snow) with your
front foot toes while holding up your rear foot toes so the rear edge
stays up, and see what happens. Don't move your body or arms
at all - just stay aligned with your board as it turns. Then do the
opposite for a heel turn. (front toes up) As the board crosses the
fall line, the rear foot follows the front so the board goes fully onto
the new edge.

Yup, I've been doing this for years. Legendary (to us) freerider Neil
McNab has been teaching this for a long time and gets people going quicker
than the old twist your body technique.

I just found that I had progressed into doing that over the years having
taken a carving lesson from a dude in Red Mountain back in '99. He
advocated pushing the knee towards the toe or heel edge which initiated
the turn, which amounts to the same thing.

- Dave.

http://www.vpas.org/ - Snowboarding the worlds pow pow.
Donek Sasquatch 162, Prior Pow 181, Burton Canyon 162

The Snowboard FAQ lives here - http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/
Old November 23rd 06, 02:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Neil Gendzwill

wrote:

[...]

I just roll the thing over on its edge and let the sidecut do the work.
You feed the turn front to back, so I suppose the "twist" is a way of
making you do that, even if there is no actual twist. Or maybe there is
a twist, but after so long, it's something I do without thinking about
it. Next time I'm on the snow I'll try to think about it. I don't know
how much actual twist there would be, I suspect for my boards very
little if any.

Neil
Old November 24th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Switters

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 14:59:37 GMT, Neil Gendzwill
allegedly wrote:

Or maybe there is
a twist, but after so long, it's something I do without thinking about
it.

Exactly. Same as anything that we do long enough really.

Next time I'm on the snow I'll try to think about it.

No don't do that. It'll all go pear shaped :-)

Old January 11th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Sean Martin

That's where we start. First day on the board. Because it works better
that anything else we've encountered. Kids that learn this have a lot less
falls than older methods, in my experience.

Bob

Twisting or peddling the board is a common practice although most riders are
not aware they do it. In teaching beginners it can be a very effective way
of ending a turn or getting the board to point back down the hill. As most
of us know the more we angulate the board to the snow in a slide, the more
drag or breaking force we generate. By twisting the board it is possible to
alter the amount of drag at the tip or tail of the board. This results in
rotation.

When teaching people I often use this technique to help them get the board
pointed back down the hill before initiating another turn.

--
Sean Martin
Donek Snowboards Inc.

http://www.donek.com/
phone:877-53-DONEK

Old January 11th 07, 07:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

"Sean Martin" wrote in message
[...]

I describe it as "initiating the turn" since it starts the turning process.

Bob

new board time? Yup Snowboarding 6 May 21st 05 07:30 PM
Board spec question and the Burton Baron Frank L Lynn Snowboarding 2 April 11th 05 05:42 PM
advice on board? Mario Snowboarding 10 January 11th 05 01:00 AM
Board flex and fast powder turns id Snowboarding 10 December 14th 04 03:08 PM
Burton Dominant Sizing------Please help Lee Snowboarding 5 November 21st 03 06:22 PM