Learning at April

Old December 3rd 04, 02:27 PM
Paul Schofield

Default Learning at April

My mate has asked my advice and I thought I'd pass it on to the experts in
rsre land. He wants to take his 11 year old son skiing for the first time
this winter but doesn't have any leave until April. He was asking me about
good places to go. My immediate advice was to wait until nearer the time and
then choose a destination according to the snow conditions, but he wasn't so
happy about that as he'd prefer to have at the very least the flights booked
and would be happier with it all sorted.

How high do you need to be at that time of year for good snow conditions, I
should imagine that Val Thorens would be okay, but what about Les Menuires,
Flaine Les Arcs or even Andorra for instance. Also are there native English
ski-schools at these resorts.

Any input gratefully received

TIA
--
Paul Schofield

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Old December 3rd 04, 02:44 PM
Simon Brown

I agree with you - wait until mid-March or even the end of March and book at
the last minute.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Holidays: 07-Dec-2004 to 16-Dec-2004, full email access

.. .

Old December 3rd 04, 02:52 PM
PG

| "Paul Schofield" wrote in message
| .. .
| My mate has asked my advice and I thought I'd pass it on to the
experts in
| rsre land. He wants to take his 11 year old son skiing for the first
time
| this winter but doesn't have any leave until April. He was asking me
about
| good places to go. My immediate advice was to wait until nearer the
time
| and
| then choose a destination according to the snow conditions, but he
wasn't
| so
| happy about that as he'd prefer to have at the very least the
flights
| booked
| and would be happier with it all sorted.
|
| How high do you need to be at that time of year for good snow
conditions,
| should imagine that Val Thorens would be okay, but what about Les
| Menuires,
| Flaine Les Arcs or even Andorra for instance. Also are there native
| English
| ski-schools at these resorts.
|
| Any input gratefully received

If you have to book early, the likes of Val Thorens is your best bet. I
skied Tignes, Val Thorens and Les Arcs early May last year, through to
the 8th/9th, great conditions and each resort virtually empty too.

Pete
SNOWeSCAPE http://bsm.alpesprovence.net

Old December 3rd 04, 05:11 PM
Rob White

I agree with Simon & PG. either book now for somewhere high, or leave it
late and then decide. Don't book now for somewhere low/medium altitude.

Rob

Old December 4th 04, 04:40 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Paul Schofield" wrote in message
.. .
My mate has asked my advice and I thought I'd pass it on to the experts in
rsre land. He wants to take his 11 year old son skiing for the first time
this winter but doesn't have any leave until April. He was asking me about
good places to go. My immediate advice was to wait until nearer the time
and
then choose a destination according to the snow conditions, but he wasn't
so
happy about that as he'd prefer to have at the very least the flights
booked
and would be happier with it all sorted.

There is no way that you wont be able to get a late deal at the end of the
season.
At that time everywhere is very quiet and many chalets/hotels have closed
down. This means that supply is extremely elastic and companies will
probably sell as many places as they can at any price that will turn a
profit and that can be pretty low since flights are cheap and they rent
chalets by the season.

I took my girlfriend to Courchevel this year for the last week of the season
and the only problem was that the lower levels turned to slush in the
afternoon and they had shut a few runs. There was much more snow than when
we went at the start of the season.

Old December 4th 04, 06:17 AM
Simon Brown

Deal? Book direct at this time of year, ask for advice on the ng. It's so
easy it's untrue as there is no rush and plenty of space.
--
Simon Brown
www.hb9drv.ch

Holidays: 07-Dec-2004 to 16-Dec-2004, full email access

k...

Old December 5th 04, 07:58 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Simon Brown" wrote in message
Deal? Book direct at this time of year, ask for advice on the ng. It's so
easy it's untrue as there is no rush and plenty of space.

I've considered it but when you add in the cost and aggravation of transfers
or the driving then it doesn't seem worth the effort when compared to a last
minute package. It sounded like the OP would probably see it the same way.

Old December 5th 04, 05:53 PM
Steve Haigh

Nick Hounsome wrote:

"Simon Brown" wrote in message

Deal? Book direct at this time of year, ask for advice on the ng. It's so
easy it's untrue as there is no rush and plenty of space.

I've considered it but when you add in the cost and aggravation of transfers
or the driving then it doesn't seem worth the effort when compared to a last
minute package. It sounded like the OP would probably see it the same way.

It's a good point, but in my experience (and I think that of a few
others on this group) I'd have to say I don't agree. The "cost and
aggrevation" of transfers is not a big deal, especially for resorts
close to aiports (and there are plenty of those) and as for driving, I
rate having a car as a major feature in favour of doing it yourself.

It is *so* easy to book online & with email that I would recommend it to
anyone without reservation, regardless of language ability or ski
experience. The Tour Operators don't really care about you and your
level of skiing, they just want to sell you a holiday and make some
money. The Tourist Offices on the other hand will do far more to help
you find a place (in their resort of course), and if you want resort
ideas the web, or this group, will be a far better and more impartial
resource than a Tour Op.

That said, if you do get a good deal at the last minute I'm not going to
knock it back either. It's just that really good deals always tend to
have a catch one way or another.