Skiing etiquette for racers

Old January 23rd 05, 04:07 AM
Philip Nelson

Default Skiing etiquette for racers

While skiing in Norway this year I also skied with an american on 2 brits on
a touring day. They were unsure of the etiquette when faster skiers went by.
To me it was obvious. If a faster skier overtakes you, they are responsible
to pass and you do not need to do anything, though "hello" works nicely. If
you are climbing a hill and somebody comes down the hill from the opposite
direction, the opposite applies, the climber should get out of the way. I
later confirmed that this was typical in Norway.

Much to my suprise the american, who typically skis withing driving distance
of Boston at places like Stowe, told me she always feels intimidated by
racers. If they come up from behind, they often yell "Track" and expect her
to get out of the way. While this is common race ettiquette, I've never
thought it applied to normal days on the trails. So what is it? Who should
have the right of way on a normal non race day, the slower skier or the
faster skier?

My vote is for the slower skier. The faster person probably also has the
greater skill to manuover around the slower person, and should do so as
graciously as possible.

Old January 23rd 05, 04:15 AM
gr

Philip Nelson wrote:
[...]

As a practical matter, an awful lot of people will have no idea what to
do when they hear "track"!
gr
Old January 23rd 05, 05:00 AM
J999w

Put the shoe on the other foot ... what would you like if you were rolling up
on someone?

If I'm comming up on someone from behind (on skis, bike, skates, whatever) I'll
give a "HUP!" plenty far behind so the slower person has time to take a look
back and see what's about to happen. This becomes a "HUP HUP!!" as I get
closer. If they choose not to move over, then I pass as best I can. If they
give no room what so ever, then they get the "on your left!" and I go by. On
occasion, I'll just sit behind them until they get nervous enough to move over.

:^]

John Wilke
Milwaukee

Old January 23rd 05, 05:07 AM
JCZ

Isn't it different though when you are skiing tracks? If I come up on
someone going slow (and they have to be going pretty slow for me to
pass them) I just switch over to the left tracks unless I'm going up a
hill -- wouldn't want someone coming down on their proper side to be
surprised. Usually it isn't a huge problem for me to go around, and I
remember when I was a new skier last year and it WAS a problem for me
to move out of the tracks. A lot of those people going slow are
beginners. I say, if you want to go faster than someone in front of
you, just pass them -- same as if you're in a car. JMHO.

June

Old January 23rd 05, 10:08 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:07:32 -0600, "Philip Nelson"
wrote:

[...]

It's the way you described. The only instance in which an overtaking
skier should say anything is when there are a bunch of slower skiers
side by side taking up the width of the whole trail. Then the thing
to say is "Excuse me" and hope the slower skiers allow some space to
pass.

JFT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 23rd 05, 11:48 AM
Bruce Freeburger

Philip,
In recreational trail/pathway use (not just skiing) my personal
etiquette is that the slower person being passed is minding their own
business. I time my announcement to when I am in listening range of the
slower person. I also have found most skiers have no clue of what you
are saying if you yell "track!". I usually say "I am passing on your
left". They are often startled, but they get the message to stay to the
right side.
I also remember to thank them, usually at the point we are shoulder
to shoulder.

Cheers,
Bruce Freeburger

To reply, get rid of SNOWMOBILES and UNLEASHEDDOGS

Old January 23rd 05, 12:41 PM

Bruce,

As Race Director of the Tug Hill Tourathon 50K X-C Classic, which this year
is Feb. 5, I agree with "I'm passing on your left" for the majority of
instances. "Hup" is used in races like the Olympics, "Track" means
something to older skiers, but citizen racers and recreational skiers
usually have no idea what to do. Best to use plain ole English when there
is no reaction to "Hup" or "Track".

CB

http://mail2web.com/ .

Old January 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
David B. Redmond

wrote:

[...]

If it's a race there wouldn't be non-racers on the course. If it's a
typical recreational trail the racers aren't racers -- they are just
skiers that are moving faster than some of the other skiers. Racing
etiquette would not apply and there shouldn't be anyone yelling
"track" or any such thing.

In general the faster skier is responsible to figure out how to get
around. That is exactly the opposite of race rules where slower
skiers should yield on command of "track." When I happen to pass
slower skiers I would usually move to the other track or pass out of
the tracks and slow to exchange greetings in the process. Sometimes
it is someone you know, even.

In the event of a large group of slow skiers taking up all the space
hopefully friendly greetings and some conversation will result in
people making way and everyone moving on at their own pace.

Old January 23rd 05, 01:52 PM

Philip Nelson wrote:

To me it was obvious. If a faster skier overtakes you, they are

responsible
to pass and you do not need to do anything, though "hello" works

nicely.

Yes, this is they way it should be, 20 years ago I yelled track and the
slower skier got in my track and caused a crash, that was the last time
I said anything while approaching a slower skier.

I keep my mouth shut and try to ski around the slower skier, trying not
to come too close or disturb them. They have the same right to enjoy a
day on the tracks at their pace as I do at mine.

sk8

Tai Chi Skiing yunlong Alpine Skiing 8 December 17th 04 03:50 PM
Masters Skiing Camps Nordic Skiing Instruction Nordic Skiing 0 November 1st 04 12:47 PM
RFC - The Nordic Skiing Project the Nordic Skiing Project Nordic Skiing 2 September 24th 04 05:50 PM
Skiing with Tommy Rob Bradlee Nordic Skiing 7 December 2nd 03 08:03 PM