r.s.n. face-to-face: two JT's at Lake Placid

Old December 29th 03, 11:53 AM
Ken Roberts

Default r.s.n. face-to-face: two JT's at Lake Placid

Yesterday afternoon I was coming back in thru the door of the ski center at
Mt Van Hoevenberg and I see Bob Maswick -- well-known Lake Placid NY racer
and instructor who's been supplying this newsgroup with critical
early-season snow reports. Then Bob introduces me to
Jay Tegeder -- who came all the way from Minnesota.
With Jay was Dave Mathews of Reliable Racing Supply, where Sharon and I
often stop in to buy ski equipment (just off Northway exit 19 at
Queensbury).
We went out on the snow for some talk about the great skiing and bicycling
in range of Glens Falls NY. I ran back inside and got
John Tomlinson -- all the way from New York City
who came out immediately when he heard who our visitor was.
Another couple of minutes of friendly conversation, and then I remembered
that Sharon was waiting out on the ski trail with the camera to take my next
set of videos. So I missed my chance to ski with our JT of Minnesota, but I
can report that he's a fun guy to meet and looks great in his ski suit and
that unusual cap like Victor Smirnov wears.

Ken

Old December 29th 03, 04:33 PM
Doug Taylor

"Ken Roberts" wrote:

[...]

Another rsn lurker was there as well 12/26 and 27, and was quite
thankful for the Christmas present of 4 inches of snow 12/25, without
which it would have been dismal to say the least.

So, for anyone who knows or cares, why is the Women's 5 K rated Most
Difficult and the East Loop, with that hill that I have to dismount my
mountain bike on the final grade and can barely keep momentum skating
up, only rated More Difficult? I about blew a lung.
--dt
Old December 30th 03, 04:00 PM
david emile lamy

Doug Taylor writes:

Another rsn lurker was there as well 12/26 and 27, and was quite
thankful for the Christmas present of 4 inches of snow 12/25, without
which it would have been dismal to say the least.

So, for anyone who knows or cares, why is the Women's 5 K rated Most
Difficult and the East Loop, with that hill that I have to dismount my
mountain bike on the final grade and can barely keep momentum skating
up, only rated More Difficult? I about blew a lung.
--dt

I do not know officially, but the rating difference probably has more to do
with injury potential. Yes, going up East Mountain is aerobically taxing, but
with icy conditions the descents on the Ladies 5K are more difficult. So, I
think the trial rater has more concern for broken legs than lungs.

David

GNUPG Fingerprint: 06AE 6472 EEE3 60B5 764D 110F F09F 74D8 B389 22F8