Shawangunk Snow, and Lapland Lake Report

Old December 19th 03, 01:44 AM
Gary Jacobson

Default Shawangunk Snow, and Lapland Lake Report

First, the Shawangunks still have a good base after the rain that hit much
of the mid-Atlantic east yesterday. Here at 300 feet there is plenty base.
Probably the xc ski areas need some fresh snow on top, or need to find
trails that they haven't groomed yet in order to mine the powder beneth. I
doubt there will be skiing here this weekend. But then too, it is possible
that Minnewaska will try to break stuff up for skating by dragging something
around.

At Lapland Lake today the racer type skiers were frustrated. Classic could
have been good if the trail was packed before the track setting sled set
tracks. But the tracks were off to the side of the trail and often canted,
and to the side snow packed by the weight of the snowmobile. The tracks
looked nice, but for the first couple of times around I was basically
walking. Still it was nice to be in a snowy forest in comfortable
temperatures. Then it came together as other skiers and time consolodated
things. Weird and tough wax. Klister would have been slow even with hard wax
over it. Shearing was a problem. 1c and snowing hard. Couldn't get anything
to work for kick until I covered with Start Tar zero. Then no glide until it
got colder? Weird. Got in 4.25 hours of level two. Skaters found narrow
trails that were lumpy and in need of grading. Not enough snow for snow cat
grooming I assume. Maybe they don't have grading equipment for their
snowmobiles.Significantly less trail tracked than advertised. Early season
skiing that could have been better if grooming had been attended to, but
also could have been way worse than it was. I'd think that more effort will
be put into grooming for this weekend. A good bet for this weekend I'd say.

I heard that Prospect didn't groom at all for today. If true, then maybe
they just got too much rain. Their website, when I last checked hadn't been
updated in the last couple of days.

Hey, it's mid-December.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY