YAHOO !!

Old December 18th 05, 02:51 PM

Default YAHOO !!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051217/..._ivan_s_choice

babikov is big when his name shows up on yahoo !!

JK

Old December 20th 05, 05:27 PM

32 degrees wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051217/..._ivan_s_choice

babikov is big when his name shows up on yahoo !!

JK

Yes, Babikov is the real deal, as anyone on this continent suspected
for the last year or so watching him perform.

Who is responsible for training him ? Is he self-coached ?

Truly inspiring personal story. His wife & child are STILL in Russia. I
was assuming they would come to Canada when he achieved citizenship,
however, he has done that now.

Old December 20th 05, 10:45 PM

Well Ivan is pretty much self coached but he has been going back to
Russia the past two summers where his family is and does his training
over there.

He is very capable of making good training programs for himself as he
has a coaching degree. I am not quite sure about the specifics of his
degree but he told me he could be a coach for a multitude of sports
(skiing, soccer, etc...). Speaking of soccer, he ain't half bad with
the ball either.

One thing I find with Ivan is that he is very adapt to improving his
technique and changes in equipment. When trying out his new Salomon
skis last year he gave the most technical description of them possible,
where I was only able to say that they felt good. He seems to possess a
feel for things on the snow.

Cyrus

Old December 20th 05, 11:32 PM

On 20 Dec 2005 09:27:47 -0800, "delltodd" wrote:

32 degrees wrote:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051217/..._ivan_s_choice

babikov is big when his name shows up on yahoo !!

JK

Yes, Babikov is the real deal, as anyone on this continent suspected
for the last year or so watching him perform.

Who is responsible for training him ? Is he self-coached ?

Truly inspiring personal story.

Yeah, that's hard core and inspiring. I hope everyone works out for
him in life.

I wonder if he's happy to not have to wear those ugly XC.com suits?
(though XC.com is cool, just not the suits)

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old December 21st 05, 12:04 AM

Truly inspiring personal story.

Yeah, that's hard core and inspiring. I hope everyone works out for
him in life.

I wonder if he's happy to not have to wear those ugly XC.com suits?
(though XC.com is cool, just not the suits)

JT

JT,

I know your joking. Villneuve, who runs that team, said that Babikov
showed up on his doorstep 2 yrs ago in rags. The truth is, I am sure,
that he was VERY grateful for the new team, support & gear from both
teams (Factory Team), well all 3 teams now (Canadian Dev Team). Can you
imagine leaving Russia, your wife & child, and your national
development program - in rags - to come to North American to chase your
nordic dream ...and 2 yrs on he is the fastest Russian at the World
Cups ? Thoroughly inspiring.

Cyrus, Thanks for that input - are you friends w/Ivan ?

Dell

Old December 21st 05, 03:59 AM

Dell, You're quite enthusiastic. Babikov did wonderfully in Canmore
and appears to have a bright future, but fastest Russian at the World
Cups, I think not. In Canada, Novikov and Alypov posted as good if not
better results overall, and the top two Russians until proven
otherwise, Vassili Rotchev and Eugeni Dementiev, didn't make the trip.
Let's give Babikov the chance to earn the acclaim you offer in Europe.

Gene

Old December 21st 05, 05:02 AM

I agree, Ivan's story is quite inpirational.

I am a member of X-C.com and met Ivan through the team. We roomed
together at various events accross Canada last year and I learned alot
from him; he is a interesting fellow.

I think a story about Ivan that didn't really get any attention was
when he won two races in one day at Mt Orford in Quebec 2003 (i think).
He dusted the field in a 15km Classic loppet in the morning (there was
a respectable field for this race), then won a 10km skate Nor-Am race
in the afternoon. The Nor-Am race had a huge stacked field as this was
trial race for U23 world and a world cup circuit trip. It was quite a
show of dominance.

JT, I myself didn't quite like the ski suits X-C.com had last year
either and I am very happy with the switch we made this year. We are
racing with Swix suits (the same as the Norwegian Sprinters I think,
but with X-C.com silk screen). I think we might have some pics up on
the website soon. The swix suits are way more comfortable and a bit
more understated, which I like.

Cyrus

Old December 21st 05, 01:37 PM

Well hey, Ivan B was 4th in an event, and I believe he was the top
Russian in that event, perhaps not the top of all the Canadian events
combined. I didn't mean to overstate the case. Anyway, I'm not the
expert on any of this stuff but the young man is skiing out of his mind
despite it all. I am putting him in the acclaimed category already ! I
also note that the Estonians were at La Sgambeda, so not all the top
skiers were there but, you gotta show up to play, and he did extremely
well, so I applaud the guy.

Cyrus - thanks for the inside scoop. Glad the new suits are working out
better. They look cool. I thought I saw some XC.com suits that looked
like the Norge sprint suits. Thats cool.

Old December 21st 05, 09:35 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree, Ivan's story is quite inpirational.
...I think a story about Ivan that didn't really get any attention was
when he won two races in one day at Mt Orford in Quebec 2003 (i think).
He dusted the field in a 15km Classic loppet in the morning (there was
a respectable field for this race), then won a 10km skate Nor-Am race
in the afternoon. The Nor-Am race had a huge stacked field as this was
trial race for U23 world and a world cup circuit trip. It was quite a
show of dominance...

Cyrus

I do remember these races (Jan '04). I was writing down bib numbers at the
finish, and the temperature was barely above -20C . Babikov truly dominated.
Results are still online at this address
http://www.zone4.ca/results.asp?id=268

BarryT