Talcum Powder for Klister Removal

Old March 12th 04, 11:49 PM
Gary Jacobson

Default Talcum Powder for Klister Removal

Anyone ever try this. Cornstarch or any powder could work too, I suppose.
I haven't tried it but heard some old timers talking about it.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 13th 04, 03:01 AM
David Dermott

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Gary Jacobson wrote:

Anyone ever try this. Cornstarch or any powder could work too, I suppose.
I haven't tried it but heard some old timers talking about it.

I use flour and it works quite well for removing klister.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email:

Old March 21st 04, 01:51 PM
taywood

Anyone ever try this. Cornstarch or any powder could work too, I

suppose.
I haven't tried it but heard some old timers talking about it.

I use flour and it works quite well for removing klister.

I've just had to look at the calendar, its not April 1st yet.

If this is for real could you just explain a little more about the
techniques to use.
Mike

Old March 21st 04, 03:27 PM
David Dermott

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, taywood wrote:

I use flour and it works quite well for removing klister.

If this is for real could you just explain a little more about the
techniques to use.

Klister is difficult to remove with just a plastic scraper. It globs
up. Solvents (turpentine, citrus de-greaser etc) can be used but in my
experience it takes a lot of solvent to remove the klister. Then the
solvent residue must be removed from the ski.

Talcum powder works, I've also tried baking soda with poorer results.
But flour is cheaper and more available.

Dust the flour on the klistered part of the ski. Gently rub it in.
The resulted flour-klister mix scrapes off very easily. Then brush the ski
off with a clean cloth.

Old March 21st 04, 06:44 PM
Gary Jacobson

Default Fish Sauce. Was:Talcum Powder for Klister Removal

"David Dermott" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, taywood wrote:

I use flour and it works quite well for removing klister.

Dust the flour on the klistered part of the ski. Gently rub it in.
The resulted flour-klister mix scrapes off very easily.

Then take the klister/flour mixure and slowly introduce it into a pan with
melted butter. Just as it begins to bubble turn the heat down. Now remove
the Lutefisk from the oven, and pour the sauce over the fish at the table.
Your guests will never know that your faux gooseberry sauce is actually
yesterday's red floro klister.

Seems to me that my wife does this kind of stuff all the time.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY

Old March 21st 04, 09:25 PM
Erik Brooks

This gets my vote for post of the month.

Erik

Old March 21st 04, 10:13 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Gary Jacobson" wrote in message

| "David Dermott" wrote in message
| On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, taywood wrote:
|

| I use flour and it works quite well for removing klister.
| Dust the flour on the klistered part of the ski. Gently rub it in.
| The resulted flour-klister mix scrapes off very easily.
|
| Then take the klister/flour mixure and slowly introduce it into a pan with
| melted butter. Just as it begins to bubble turn the heat down. Now remove
| the Lutefisk from the oven, and pour the sauce over the fish at the
table.
| Your guests will never know that your faux gooseberry sauce is actually
| yesterday's red floro klister.
|
| Seems to me that my wife does this kind of stuff all the time.
|
| Gary Jacobson
| Rosendale, NY

The above 'recipe' reminds me of something I just read:

http://us.cnn.com/2004/US/West/03/20/obit.maxwell.ap/

The second well known 50-something athelete in about as many months...
I don't like it.
Regards to the family and friends.

ED3... who is 51

Old March 22nd 04, 03:57 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

Reminiscent of the oregano alternative that went around in the late
'60s...

When I worked at Garnet Hill, a couple of staffers mentioned using
baking soda, but I could never get it to work. I never saw them do it
either.

Gene

Old March 22nd 04, 09:42 AM
taywood

Talcum powder works, I've also tried baking soda with poorer results.
But flour is cheaper and more available.

Dust the flour on the klistered part of the ski. Gently rub it in.
The resulted flour-klister mix scrapes off very easily. Then brush the ski
off with a clean cloth.

Thank you David for the reply, Gary's sauce menu got an interesting
response!

But what bothers me is - how can I get to this advanced age and not known
until today about the use of a powder to aid klister removal?
I've spent a ski career hating the aftermath of using klister, even raced on
waxless skis to avoid those klister days.
Oh Boy, if only I'd known.

So, over the next few weeks when you are cleaning tweaking prepping
and putting gear away for the summer months, would you reflect on any
unusual methods you or your friends may be using and drop us a note.
We might find your tweak to be novel and interesting.
Thanks Mike

more "universal" powder board BigFoot Snowboarding 40 May 8th 04 05:58 AM
Toko X-cold powder? JMC Nordic Skiing 4 January 16th 04 04:44 PM
Toko Cold Powder klistersister Nordic Skiing 5 January 10th 04 12:54 AM