children skiing

Old February 27th 06, 03:10 AM

Default children skiing

Does anyone have any tips for bringing children skiing or snowboarding?
I'm writing a book on this subject and would appreciate any input you
have. (Can't pay you for it, but will send you a free copy of the book
if I use your story or technique.)

Some tickler subjects, to help you out:

How do you approach lessons versus skiing with you?
How do you make it easier on yourself?
What do you do after skiing?
How do you manage multiple children at once?
Do you push them, or just let their abilities unfold?
What are the best ski resorts for children? Why?
How do you keep them warm and dry?
How do you keep them entertained?
How do you save money?
How do you do lunch?
What about special needs children?
Do you do anything ahead of time, to get them excited about skiing?
Have you ever lost a child on the slopes? How did it go?
How do you approach bringing their friend(s) along?
Ever have one get hurt?
How do you approach the buy versus rent question?
What about their wearing an iPod? (Are you for it or against it?)
Do you set goals or a vision with them?
What is the best ski school ( or snowboarding school) for aspiring
children?

Regards,
Brad

(wrapping up a stretching book right now at
http://www.hallmont.com)

Old February 27th 06, 11:23 AM

Writer Author wrote:
[...]

Do you have children? Why not follow a kid as he learns
to ski.

With all of the questions you ask I ask you, do you ski?

How did you learn to ski? As an adult? Your questions
are so basic that I wonder if you actually stretched
yourself for your stretching book.

How about going to a ski area and observe how parents
deal with these questions. A direct experience is worth
a huge number of words that you may get as answers here.

You iPod question is really off the mark. Good lord
adults with iPods scare me and make me pity them too.
An outdoor experience with music blasting through
their skulls? I think not. Outdoors is a total
experience.

Old February 27th 06, 11:40 AM

Writer Author wrote:
[...]

While your stretching book has a great looking model
on the cover which should sell a lot of books, especially
if she is demonstrating the stretching, your website
designer needs a little help. The picture overlaps the
text so that you read all that is there.

Old February 27th 06, 10:28 PM

Yes, the iPod question is a bit rediculous (almost left it out). Last
week one of the kids we were skiing with had one. Her mom set the
volume low, but it makes me wonder about the safety of it all, (not to
mention masking the outdoor experience).

From teaching my kids to ski, many of the answers are familiar. But

what other practices are there, which really make a difference?

Regards,
Brad

Old February 27th 06, 10:29 PM

VtSkier wrote:

You iPod question is really off the mark. Good lord
adults with iPods scare me and make me pity them too.
An outdoor experience with music blasting through
their skulls? I think not. Outdoors is a total
experience.

I editorialized on that very topic. I am neutral on the subject and leaning
towards limited music while skiing.

I would think going down the hill to Dire Wolf (espeically the version off
of the 'Dead's Reckoning album) would be cool and while Vivaldi's Winter
concerto is an obvious I am thinking of other classical pieces that would
go well with skiing. I have a Kronos Quartet CD called "Winter Was Hard"
but it is all pretty dark music and skiing is a joyful thing.

Whatever I would be listening too would probably be interupted while riding
up the chair (unless alone).

--
Before Heading to the Hill head to Wisconsin Skis!
http://www.wi-ski.com/

Old February 27th 06, 11:08 PM

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:
VtSkier wrote:

You iPod question is really off the mark. Good lord
adults with iPods scare me and make me pity them too.
An outdoor experience with music blasting through
their skulls? I think not. Outdoors is a total
experience.

CLIP

Whatever I would be listening too would probably be interupted while riding
up the chair (unless alone).

I still miss Swiss yodels echoing off the peaks. Any other sound (like
IPods, snow making, badly maintained lifts, snowmobiles, and scraping
snowboards) is inappropriate and the offender should be drawn,
quartered, shot, and hung in the bra tree.

Old February 28th 06, 04:24 AM

The Wisconsin Skier wrote:

I would think going down the hill to Dire Wolf (espeically the
version off of the 'Dead's Reckoning album) would be cool and while
Vivaldi's Winter concerto is an obvious I am thinking of other
classical pieces that would go well with skiing. I have a Kronos
Quartet CD called "Winter Was Hard" but it is all pretty dark music
and skiing is a joyful thing.

When teaching people to start skiing in some rhythm, I often find myself
skiing to Sibelius' Waltz Trieste. Not exactly ski music.
Just a Gigolo (David Lee Roth version) is excellent for bouncing exercises
though.

--
ant

Old February 28th 06, 04:25 AM

lal_truckee wrote:

I still miss Swiss yodels echoing off the peaks.

Has been replaced in the US with YEE-HAAAAR! (yes I heard that today), and
sometimes, "DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS".

Any other sound (like
IPods,

Tacketa Tacketa Tacketa Tacketa (headphone occupant to be deaf by 30)

snow making, badly maintained lifts,

ClankClankClankCLANKClank....

snowmobiles, and scraping
snowboards) is inappropriate

My two particular dislikes. Seems every boy who can get a skidoo must roar
up and down the hill all day. doesn't anybody in uniform ski any more?

The snowboard SCRAAAAPE just behind is especially horrible, as it means they
are braking right on you. If they stuff it up, blam.

--
ant

Old February 28th 06, 02:01 PM

On 2006-02-28, ant penned:

My two particular dislikes. Seems every boy who can get a skidoo
must roar up and down the hill all day. doesn't anybody in uniform
ski any more?

Reminds me of the weird thing about skiing at grouse and larkspur at
Beaver Creek. The snowcats are stored near there, and they have a
siren that sounds like a police siren (or maybe fire truck? something
official-sounding and familiar). Every half hour or so, you hear a
siren. Very weird and rather annoying. Probably necessary, though.

--
monique
Longmont, CO