Will it damage my board on a dry slope?

Old July 19th 03, 04:59 PM
Tstungo

Default Will it damage my board on a dry slope?

Hi,

I live in High Wycombe and we have a long dry slope which I intend to visit for
practice.

Will it damage my board at all - I thought I heard something about this on here
once?

What should you wear to be protected against burns?

Any tips? Obviously it's not snow, but will it be useful for a fairly new
boarder like me to get some valuable training in before Winter?

Thanks,

Tom, High Wycombe, UK.
Old July 21st 03, 12:52 AM
Tstungo

If you intend going to a dry slope regularly (good luck to you

What's up with dry slopes - is there anything in particular I should know? I
realise it's not going to feel like snow but with the slope being so local it
seems ideal to get in a bit of practice, work on basic balance and posture
etc.?

Any thoughts?

Tom
Old July 21st 03, 10:05 PM
Tstungo

Many thanks for the detailed info, Liz. I'll have a think about all that.

Tom
Old July 22nd 03, 06:18 AM
lizbubb

What's up with dry slopes - is there anything in particular I should know?

Yes - it can really hurt! Wear long sleeves + wristguards, and if you're
considering any tricks as much padding as you can fit under your clothes!

realise it's not going to feel like snow but with the slope being so local

it
seems ideal to get in a bit of practice, work on basic balance and posture
etc.?

Well, it's much slower and "grabbier" than snow so you can't really use your
edges properly - if you don't have the posture + moves in your muscles
already you're likely to develop bad habbits like steering by pushing your
back foot around. Also I'd reckon the chances of hurting yourself and going
off the whole idea are quite high. You will learn to ride the button pull
though as each run will be over in about 30 secs :-)

OTOH you could take the view that since you've got more access to the dry
slope than the snow it makes sense to learn dry slope skills and not worry
about good snow technique! They have a snowboard club I think, and put out a
jump sometimes. Dry slopes do seem to get a little community of dedicated
riders around them, though often they (wisely) spend as much time hanging
out as riding.

I used to go to High Wycombe to try to practice freestyle skills (of which I
have none). They don't let you jump on hire stuff through.

HTH

Liz

Old August 4th 03, 09:59 PM
phil

I think it's harder because you can't carve. When
you're carving the board does most of the work for
you. On dry slopes I find I'm doing lots of
violent twisting/counter rotating to try and make
the board go where I want it to. Lots of people
look right at home on dry slopes so I guess it's
just a question of getting used to it.

I think it is; if you can't carve on snow then you're dead meat on the
plastic.

I don't have the whole of this thread, but yes, it will damage your board.
Most people just use an old board. Sharp edges help on plastic; sharpen them
every time.

Phil