Basic Carving Question/Puzzle

Old March 29th 06, 12:45 PM

Default Basic Carving Question/Puzzle

I'm starting to get interested in carving and one thing has me puzzled.
I've seen the nice continuous carve lines in the snow. At least I
think they looked continuous, but I'll have to look closer next time I
see some, because here's what puzzles me. I understand how the board
creates a nice clean line when it is on one edge or the other and only
moving in the direction of that edge. But what happens in the period
as the board shifts from one edge to the other? In carving this
happens gradually, so how does the carve line get made during that
period? I would think that the line would disappear as the board goes
flat, then reappear when the other edge is in the snow.

Why don't I see that or is it there and I missed it?

Old March 29th 06, 03:18 PM

Neil, is exactly correct as I wondered the same thing for quite a while. I
could see the tracks that the few carvers I had seen had put down, but never
really saw them well enough to see the transition until I was able to look
straight down from a lift and there they were... very graceful parallel
lines slightly overlapping where one disappeared and the other began. I was
amazed at how close together they actually were. I was looking for them to
be the width of the board or something. I think that was why they were so
hard to see. Look for them they will be there.

Stan.

"Neil Gendzwill" wrote in message

Why don't I see that or is it there and I missed it?

It's there, you just missed it. If the guy is good, the new line will
start before the old one is finished, so the two lines will run roughly
parallel for a half-board length or so. This is because we can transfer
edges quickly with no skid.

Neil

Old March 29th 06, 05:16 PM

Since I've switched focus to softies, I like the look of the carved
arcs with about 10' of clearance between each curve.
Makes me think I'm using more than just edges, as hard turns can
equal rebounds and air time between turns.
But the good carvers do keep continous arcs, as described above.

Old March 30th 06, 12:13 PM
www.oldsnowboards.com www.oldsnowboards.com is offline
Banned

Location: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeD
http://www.oldsnowboards.com/pics/album123/aaq
Old March 31st 06, 04:12 AM

Thanks guys, that explains it!

Curtosy of oldsnowboards, I even have a pic now where I can see it and
sure enough, it is there.

Old March 31st 06, 09:16 PM
www.oldsnowboards.com www.oldsnowboards.com is offline
Banned

Location: Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Thanks guys, that explains it!

Curtosy of oldsnowboards, I even have a pic now where I can see it and
sure enough, it is there.
Here is a link to a video we recently shot at Mt Rose. (12 meg) The two riders in red jackets are using a style typically referred to as "Extreme Carve" or "EC" and the rider in a blue and white jacket (me) using a style more likely catagorized as "Toes to the Nose" or "Bomber" style. Although I personally think it is somewhere in between. Points out there are many , at least 5 , different alpine snowboarding styles. The EC is not something I would suggest you attempt from the early stages of learning. Visit www.bomberonline.com and
www.carversalmanac.com for more info. The links are all on my "Links Page" at www.oldsnowboards.com along with allot of photos on the gallery.

FYI. Most of the "Alpine" and modern snowboarding items will at some point be moved to another site so as not to distract from the oldsnowboards theme.

Hope this helps. Bryan