NENSA Test scores compared? Records for US, the world?

Old February 24th 10, 07:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Default NENSA Test scores compared? Records for US, the world?

The NENSA has a Standardized Ski Fitness Test.

I wonder what the records are for US skiers (and other athletes) and
if top skiers from different countries have taken the test.

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...sp?NewsID=1751

Offhand, I'd think these numbers might be good precitors and that top
competitors might not want their stats to be broadcast. But ya never
know!
Old February 24th 10, 08:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Spunout

On Feb 24, 2:34*pm, jeff potter wrote:
The NENSA has a Standardized Ski Fitness Test.

I wonder what the records are for US skiers (and other athletes) and
if top skiers from different countries have taken the test.

http://www.nordicskiracer.com/cgi-bi...sp?NewsID=1751

Offhand, I'd think these numbers might be good precitors and that top
competitors might not want their stats to be broadcast. But ya never
know!

IMHO, this is outdated. Jumping off a box tests how good you'll be
at....jumping off a box.
Old February 24th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
MT Nordic

This is actually the USSA fit test. While it's not exact, it has been
shown to correlate with racing success. Obviously doesn't take into
account technique, etc. It's great for monitoring your own progress
and focusing on what your weaknesses are. Also for assessing how your
training program is helping. Personally, I've substituted the Ramp
test for the 3000 m TT because I have trouble standardizing my TT
effort (chiefly based on motivation). The ramp test is more
objective, and you can't cheat. I recommend doing the USSA fit test
on a monthly basis.
Old February 25th 10, 01:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

MT Nordic wrote:
This is actually the USSA fit test. While it's not exact, it has been
shown to correlate with racing success. Obviously doesn't take into
account technique, etc. It's great for monitoring your own progress
and focusing on what your weaknesses are. Also for assessing how your
training program is helping. Personally, I've substituted the Ramp
test for the 3000 m TT because I have trouble standardizing my TT
effort (chiefly based on motivation). The ramp test is more
objective, and you can't cheat. I recommend doing the USSA fit test
on a monthly basis.

If you want the measure xc ability, it seems you can simply measure max
VO2, while double-poling only:

A few years ago I heard about (probably here!) some research where they
had tried to find correlation between VO2 max and xc world cup results,
but didn't really find any real significant results.

However, when they re-ran their numbers/tests with upper-body effort,
they did find a strong correlation.

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 25th 10, 03:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
MT Nordic

While that's very true, it's not feasible for most skiers to measure
their VO2 max while skiing.

Old February 25th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 07:04:03 -0800 (PST)
MT Nordic wrote:

While that's very true, it's not feasible for most skiers to measure
their VO2 max while skiing.

Those tests are done on a modified treadmill. In the States, there's
one in Park City. I know Dan Heil at Montana St has one for research,
because he had it set up at West Yellowstone last year (w/o the oxygen
testing eqpt). I'll guess there's another at Lake Placid.

Gene
Old February 25th 10, 06:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

MT Nordic wrote:
While that's very true, it's not feasible for most skiers to measure
their VO2 max while skiing.

Olympiatoppen has a very wide (uphill) skiing threadmill.

I guess that still doesn't help "most skiers". :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 25th 10, 07:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

MT Nordic wrote:
While that's very true, it's not feasible for most skiers to measure
their VO2 max while skiing.

Not exactly while skiing, but you can test VO2 while striding with poles:
http://bmary.com/XCOtread1.jpg
That's an "equine" treadmill in Bend Oregon.

Bob
Old February 25th 10, 08:14 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Feb 25, 11:18*am, Bob wrote:
MT Nordic wrote:
While that's very true, it's not feasible for most skiers to measure
their VO2 max while skiing.

Not exactly while skiing, but you can test VO2 while striding with poles:http://bmary.com/XCOtread1.jpg
That's an "equine" treadmill in Bend Oregon.

Bob

Re the Bend, OR VO2 testing:

See:
http://www.xcoregon.org/home/wordpress/?page_id=17

Lab Testing
An incredibly unique element to the Oregon Fall Camp is the chance to
get a complete ski-specific physiology testing at the Central Oregon
Community College lab. The testing includes lactate zones, body comp,
and VO2max values.

Edgar