water melting on the go?

Old April 14th 04, 11:17 PM
Andrew Nairn

Default water melting on the go?

I need about 2 litres of water on a day trip. It would be nice not to have
to carry all that weight, especially when you consider you are surrounded by
water (sort of) and walking on the stuff all day. It would be good if you
could scoop up a cupful of snow and have it melt in a while for you to
drink. That way you would only have to carry a little water.

Has anyone worked out a good way of doing this?

Old April 14th 04, 11:52 PM
Terry Morse

Andrew Nairn wrote:

I need about 2 litres of water on a day trip. It would be nice not to have
to carry all that weight, especially when you consider you are surrounded by
water (sort of) and walking on the stuff all day. It would be good if you
could scoop up a cupful of snow and have it melt in a while for you to
drink. That way you would only have to carry a little water.

Has anyone worked out a good way of doing this?

I considered using a Platypus with a zip-open end for this purpose
on a fast all-day Sierra crossing, but I never did it. Open up the
Playtypus, fill it with snow, close it up and store it in an inside
jacket pocket. I don't see why it wouldn't work, there's plenty of
body heat to melt the snow.

Then again, if all you need is 2 liters, that's only 2 kg.
--
terry
Old April 15th 04, 06:25 PM

Old April 21st 04, 10:57 AM

I usually fill a 1 L wide mouth Nalgene water bottle with hot water.
After every drink I add snow to fill it up again. At some point the
water gets too cold to melt the snow fully, but by that time,
depending on air temperature and how hot the water was in the morning,
I have drunk around 2 L of water.

This method works well in the spring although I use it throughout
winter as well with a varying degree of success. One reason I have
been doing this for long time is that you get warm drink in the
morning when the air temperature is low and progressively colder drink
throughout the day as air temperature rises. One drawback is the taste
of hot water. I don't mind, many do. In that case try adding powder
Gatorade or some other flavored powder.

Hope this helps. See you in the mountains.
Martin Naroznik