Balland skate?

Old January 22nd 04, 07:40 PM
Bob Larson

Default Balland skate?

Can someone give me a brief description of what the
"Balland" skate is? It was mentioned in a few threads here,
but I haven't found a description. Better yet, a
pointer to a video would be great.

I gather, fom what I found, is it is a V-1 stride
named for Herve Balland (France). I am guessing
(along the lines of new skate) that it is a
higher turnover V-1 with more emphasis on
legs and less upper body motion. Is that close?

-Bob
Old January 23rd 04, 06:19 PM
JMC

"Bob Larson" wrote in message
om...
Can someone give me a brief description of what the
"Balland" skate is? It was mentioned in a few threads here,
but I haven't found a description. Better yet, a
pointer to a video would be great.

You will find Laurent Duparchy's videos of the Balland skate at
http://lo.dup.chez.tiscali.fr/
And look up this thread started last Jan 11: WC Skating Influence - Herve
Balland, Mogren, Gunde, DeZolt, and Alsgard.

I gather, fom what I found, is it is a V-1 stride
named for Herve Balland (France). I am guessing
(along the lines of new skate) that it is a
higher turnover V-1 with more emphasis on
legs and less upper body motion. Is that close?

-Bob

This is how Laurent describes it:
- Keep speed as constant as possible by avoiding
accelerations/decelerations (did you heard about the "balland"
technique. Named after Guy Balland (vice world champion in the early
90's) who popularizes this intermediate uphill technique which is
desynchronized uphill technique. Arms and legs are only slightly
desynchronized : push with the leg, then push with arms. Since then V2
took the lead. But where V2 requires strong upper body, "balland"
requires strong legs but less "brute" force by keeping a quite
constant speed. Best suited for most of us.

JMC
(who's been smiling all day because he just bought himself a new pair of
classic Fischers!)

Old January 24th 04, 04:33 PM
Bob Larson

Thanks Jay T. and JMC! My guess, in my original post,
was wrong in almost every regard.

There are three videos at the site JMC pointed to, named
"balland01", "balland02", and "V1", rollerski demos.
My first impression: I see a stroke
that I would call a "V2-alternate" (based on the way
skate skiing is taught here). Interesting idea, though,
to apply that sort of timing to an uphill grade.

-Bob

Old January 24th 04, 05:34 PM
Laurent Duparchy

"JMC" wrote in message m...
"Bob Larson" wrote in message
om...
Can someone give me a brief description of what the
"Balland" skate is? It was mentioned in a few threads here,
but I haven't found a description. Better yet, a
pointer to a video would be great.

You will find Laurent Duparchy's videos of the Balland skate at
http://lo.dup.chez.tiscali.fr/

I'll keep you posted when I have some real ski (not rollerski) videos
of the balland skate.

BTW : I wrongly mentionned Guy Balland instead of Hervé Balland ; they
are brothers, and Guy was also a great skier. Hervé was one the
greatest marathon skater ever. When he was young he even had some FIS
point in downhill ski ! Just to say that early age specialization in
not necessary, nor efficient some would say.