What happened (long)

Old September 13th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Verdigris

Default What happened (long)

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:26:51 +0200, Ace wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:13:57 +0100, darsy wrote:

Ace wrote:

SNIP

Yupp. After 30 years of "It'll never happen to me" I've become aware
of just how easy it can be. Or possible, just how lucky I've been to
get away with it for so long.

and as porl pointed out, a little ironic to happen the day after you
made your "I ride on the road as if it were a racetrack" comment...

Don't think I'm not aware of the irony.

Don't think we're not going to harp on about it anyway. :-)

--
Simon - UKRM~verdigris,plus,com
Tiger - A return to good sense.

Old September 13th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
ogden

Champ wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:55:51 +0100, darsy wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I wouldn't.

really? Well, I suppose it was just a hobby for him, so a nasty shock
like this might see him pick a different one, despite his obvious
enjoyment of biking.

It's just a hobby for almost all of us.

I just don't think you can really guess what anyone's reaction will be
to such trauma. I can't imagine giving up riding myself, but I won't
pretend that there's no event that would make me consider it.

I've had accidents after which I was desperate to get back on two wheels
as soon as possible, but after my last off I couldn't even face the
thought of driving a car, let alone riding a bike. A few months later
I'm fine with the car, keen to get another bike, but not in any
particular hurry. And when I do, it certainly won't be anything too
fruity, at least for a while.

--
ogden

buy tat he http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZdr.daifQQhtZ-1
Old September 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
darsy

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:19:51 +0100, Champ wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:55:51 +0100, darsy wrote:

Has Ace mentioned whether or not he'll ride again?

I'd be amazingly surprised if Ace didn't ride again.

I wouldn't.

really? Well, I suppose it was just a hobby for him, so a nasty shock
like this might see him pick a different one, despite his obvious
enjoyment of biking.

It's just a hobby for almost all of us.

of course.

I just don't think you can really guess what anyone's reaction will be
to such trauma. I can't imagine giving up riding myself, but I won't
pretend that there's no event that would make me consider it.

no, on balance, you're completely correct.

And, of course, I've spoken to Bruce recently :-)

and there is that.

Of course, he's old now, might not even be worth having another go
anyway.
--
d.
Old September 13th 06, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Verdigris

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:52:48 +0100, Champ wrote:

SNIP

Having said, that I think 99% of people will, 99% of the time, stay on
the brakes - the mental control and detachment required to realise what
is happening, release the brakes and turn into the corner would be
exceptional, imo.

I think one can learn, with practice. I don't mean simply learning that
the bike will corner faster than you thought it would, but to be a bit
detached when the **** hits the fan. I managed to avoid panic-braking
earlier this year, (even though the ultimate outcome wasn't great) and
although I may not have had the skill to recover everything I did (which
wasn't much) was deliberate. Perhaps because crashes aren't totally
unfamiliar to me and not quite as scary as they used to be?

Just how lucky have you been, Ace? Is this your first big spill, or
merely the biggest amongst many?

(Just in case anyone is feeling particularly thin skinned, I've got not
the slightest idea whether Ace or anyone else could have done anything in
his particular circumstances: I'm talking general cases.)

Old September 13th 06, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
platypus

Ace wrote:

[4] Patient controlled analgaesia. Push a button to get more morphine,
with a 12-minute delay between doses.

I had one of them overnight two years ago, but the
collarbone/ribs/shoulderblade thing didn't actually hurt that much, so I
didn't use it. By the following morning, blood leaking out of the cannula
down the pipe had it looking like a Scottoiler.

--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed

Old September 13th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
platypus

Champ wrote:
On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:03:46 +0100, "Hog"
wrote:

MoonMan wrote:
Hog wrote:

TBF that would be ok. It's the Robinson 22's that are horrible.

I had a lesson in one, suprisingly sitting on a foam pad in a
plastic bubble at several thousand feet is not terrifying

I wasn't terrified, I got nauseous from all the bobbing around while
looking down through my knees!

That's an odd thought - I usually get motion sick quite easily, and
everytime I've been in a small fixed-wing [1] I've felt ill. But I've
never felt even remotely sick in a helicopter. How strange.

[1]or even not so small - the DC3 ride I did from Douglas to Coventry,
never higher than 1500 feet, turned me green.

At 1500', if it's at all breezy, the plane will be getting pitched around by
ground bumps, ie gusts coming off ground features. Even another thousand
feet would have made a big difference.

--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed

Old September 13th 06, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
platypus

Benny wrote:
"Hog" wrote in message
Benny wrote:

He doesn't remember but he shut the power off so fast and hard that
he snapped the button that shuts the fuel off on the collective.
This stops the engine turning the rotor and the forces of rotation,
the chopper will level, but you still need quiet a bit of air speed
to get lift to the blades to do an autorotation. He must have got
that bit right.

I don't like helicopters, period.

This should put you off then. (I think it'll work, the pics that is)

http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli1.jpg
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli2.jpg not sure about
line in pic
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli3.jpg All switches are
in the off position. He swithched them off after impact!!
http://www.my-webpage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/heli4.jpg Brit sense of
humour.

The fuselage soaked up a lot of the impact, by the look of it.

--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed

Old September 13th 06, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
platypus

Dan L wrote:
Ace wrote:
So, I'm barrelling along a lovely country road on my way to work -
long straight followed by tight right-hander, so lots of beans being
applied. This is a nice road and I'm enjoying the ride in, but
somehow I get sucked into it. Mistake #1.

snip tale of woe

Really glad you're okay (ish), obviously GWS.

Your comments about your leathers etc have struck a bit of a cord
with me. Recently I have been out a few times without being fuilly
kitted up, and TBH, it didn't feel "right" to me.
Back to full garb only for me. [1]

Safety Nazi.

[1] Only for me, everyone else can do whatever they like.

Ah. Okay, Safety Masturbator.

--
platypus

ooh, how I sighed

Old September 13th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:36:17 +0100, Verdigris
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:52:48 +0100, Champ wrote:

SNIP

Having said, that I think 99% of people will, 99% of the time, stay on
the brakes - the mental control and detachment required to realise what
is happening, release the brakes and turn into the corner would be
exceptional, imo.

I think one can learn, with practice. I don't mean simply learning that
the bike will corner faster than you thought it would, but to be a bit
detached when the **** hits the fan.

Sure, one can learn. But I think it's a particularly advanced skill.

--
Champ

ZX10R
GPz750turbo
My advice as your attorney is to buy a motorcycle
Old September 13th 06, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.motorcycles,rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Champ

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:08:38 GMT, "platypus"
wrote:

Champ wrote:

That's an odd thought - I usually get motion sick quite easily, and
everytime I've been in a small fixed-wing [1] I've felt ill.

[1]or even not so small - the DC3 ride I did from Douglas to Coventry,
never higher than 1500 feet, turned me green.

At 1500', if it's at all breezy, the plane will be getting pitched around by
ground bumps, ie gusts coming off ground features.

No ****. I felt like I could read the car number plates on the few
occasions I could manage the enthusiasm to look out of the window.

Even another thousand feet would have made a big difference.

Maybe it was at it's ceiling - the bloody thing had been built in
1949.