Ski Canada

Old July 5th 03, 09:49 PM
scott

Default Ski Canada

"john" wrote in message
We went to Whistler in April and the queues were about the worst I have

ever
seen in a ski resort*. 40 minutes for the main gondola up whistler and

10 - 15
minutes at most chairlifts. Blackcomb was much better. Strangely the

pistes were
actually quite empty. It is a resort that would beifit from some serious
investment in lifts.

Sorry John but I can't let that go by without comment.

I think last trip there was Feb '03 first was back in Mar '99...over the
intervening years and subsequent three trips I've never experienced the lift
problems you describe. If it's been as busy at the chairs as you describe
you've probably been riding the main pistes and funnelling into the most
congested areas. Learn the piste map and get out away from the motorways and
you'll have empty pistes and v. short queue times.

Hope you go back and have more luck

Old July 12th 03, 05:00 PM
Darrell

I think last trip there was Feb '03 first was back in Mar '99...over the
intervening years and subsequent three trips I've never experienced the lift
problems you describe. If it's been as busy at the chairs as you describe
you've probably been riding the main pistes and funnelling into the most
congested areas. Learn the piste map and get out away from the motorways and
you'll have empty pistes and v. short queue times.

Hope you go back and have more luck

I agree with this entirely. while at the very high season long lines
are unavoidable in the beginning of the day (xmas week, spring break
for vancouver students) as you make your way up the mountain, they
become 5-10 minute lines everywhere but the base. And during those
times all but the main runs are fairly uncrowded. Every other time of
the year lines are not a problem at all. On weekends, if you're
totally line-paranoid, just stay away from the big central lifts such
as big red, emerald, whistler gondola, excellerator chair & the excel
gondola (in the morning). Everything else during those times will be
golden.

Whistler is cheaper for Americans than any other North Amer resort if
only because of the CDN to USD conversion. Many prices, will be the
same number of canadian dollars as they are in american dollars. so
lift tickets will be $55 cdn (or so) at whistler and $55 USD (or so)
in Colorado. A big savings if you're american and expensive if you're
canadian. Also, whistler offers lower rates if you've already been
there or get the express pass, among other things.

--Darrell

Canada this winter... where to? Serena Snowboarding 14 October 5th 04 12:26 AM
Advice wanted on spending a season in Canada... Ray Snowboarding 12 February 10th 04 09:40 AM
Canada Heliski nico General 1 December 5th 03 05:56 AM
Panorama, Canada - opinions? copek Snowboarding 6 November 19th 03 02:31 PM
Canada! Barney Snowboarding 10 August 8th 03 09:18 PM