Jacket Recommendation

Old February 28th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Jacket Recommendation

Hello,
I am going to Heavenly Resort in Lake Tahoe to try out snowboarding.
I have read there are North Face, Burton and Quicksilver shops near
Heavenly and I was thinking of buying the jacket and pants out there.
I don't really know much about jackets so I am looking for some
recommendations. The main key for me is breathability.

Any help is much appricated.

Old March 1st 07, 12:05 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hello,
I am going to Heavenly Resort in Lake Tahoe to try out snowboarding.
I have read there are North Face, Burton and Quicksilver shops near
Heavenly and I was thinking of buying the jacket and pants out there.
I don't really know much about jackets so I am looking for some
recommendations. The main key for me is breathability.

Any help is much appricated.
If you're coming up 50, there is an REI in Folsom right off the highway. If you're coming from Reno, there is a Sierra Trading Post outlet store a few exits south of the Hilton. Both are sure to have much better prices than you'll find in Tahoe, especially now that there is snow on the ground.

I just got rid of a Sessions waterproof shell because of its tendency to collect and hold moisture on the interior, soaking my layers.

This wasn't particular to the brand; most waterproof fabrics will do this.

However, I've had good luck with lightly insulated North Face HyVent pants, so purchased a similar TNF jacket with light insulation and have been pretty happy with it in a variety of temperature conditions.

My impression is that this jacket collects moisture just like the shell, but the light insulating layer holds it away from my base layers so the don't remain damp. In agreement with what Walt wrote, pit zips are important for temperature regulation.

For base layer, I like a close fitting wicking T-shirt followed by a wicking long-sleeve T or mock-T, and a thin fleece vest as a reserve. You're bound to experience hot and cold extremes throughout the day (based on your level of activity, followed by a chilly chairlift ride), and the synthetic wicking layers will make the sweat manageable by transporting it away from your skin. Cotton, on the other hand, retains moisture and becomes very cold.
Old March 1st 07, 10:11 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
nicotine

On Feb 28, 7:55 am, wrote:
Hello,
I am going to Heavenly Resort in Lake Tahoe to try out snowboarding.
I have read there are North Face, Burton and Quicksilver shops near
Heavenly and I was thinking of buying the jacket and pants out there.
I don't really know much about jackets so I am looking for some
recommendations. The main key for me is breathability.

Any help is much appricated.

I recently purchased a Burton field jacket, mostly due to reasons
cited above (It has pit zips, is mostly a shell) - my previous jacket
also had a big problem with retaining moisture, so I chose the field
jacket because it barely has any insulation, just a shell and some
mesh. I haven't had a chance to use it since purchasing, however.

I myself will be headed to Stateline, NV in about a month here
(praying there will be snow left).

nicotine