Summer glacier skiing?

Old September 2nd 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
pe.rhodes

Default Summer glacier skiing?

That 'snowfield' is serviced by a chairlift, which would be difficult to put
in a moving glacier. It isn't moving, and it isn't made of blue ice.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/ind...=4&newlang=ita
Does someone beside you think it's a glacier?

"JQ" wrote in message
. ..
"Phil Rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
Of course, the best skiing is in Chile or New Zealand, but if you don't
want to travel that far in August, Mt Hood in Oregon has a great
snowfield to ski on (no it's not a glacier, but then, it's not moving
either). Spend the nite at Timberline Lodge, which is a relic from the
past in itself.
http://www.timberlinelodge.com/

Timberline, Mt. Hood, Oregon the upper portion of the ski area is in the
Palmer Glacier fields and being a glacier is moving.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old September 3rd 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated
JQ

"pe.rhodes" wrote in message
. ..
That 'snowfield' is serviced by a chairlift, which would be difficult to
put in a moving glacier. It isn't moving, and it isn't made of blue ice.
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/ind...=4&newlang=ita
Does someone beside you think it's a glacier?

The mountain resort itself and the whoever designates glaciers a glacier
unless my understanding of the "Palmer glacier snowfields" is incorrect.
Besides that even your own references calls it a glacier and yes they did
add "permanent pseudo" before glacier but that was their own interpretation.
Another site to prove the point:
http://www.skimountaineer.com/Cascad....php?name=Hood
Do you really thing lifts are set on top of the ground? The lift's
foundations are set 4 to 8 feet in the ground below frost line. The
glacier's depth at the lift serviced ski area is not as deep as it is
further up the mountain.

JQ
Dancing on the edge

Old September 11th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine.moderated

Hello. I live in Norway and I'm a bit involved in the skiing scene over
here.
Glacier skiing in Norway can vary from slush to fresh snow. We're so
far north that it often can be better in Norway than in central Europe.
However, this year we've had a very warm summer in combination with
relatively little snow in the mountains during the winter. Subsequently
the skiing conditiones on Norwegian glaciers this summer have been
poor. (We've used a lot of salt during training sessions.) In fact in
August all three summer skiing centers in Norway had closed down due to
lack of snow. (You can't ski on pure ice, it will be a lot of
crevasses.)

My personal opinion is that glaciers are much more fun for
climbing/walking than skiing. So leave the skiing for the winter and
concentrate on climbing/walking in the summer.

Ketil

DZN skrev:
I just (late August) came back from Norway where I was near, but did not go
to where I could ski on a glacier. I didn't have much time and assumed it
would be lousy skiing (ice in the morning slush by midday). Has anyone
skied on a glacier in the summer there or Whistler Blackcomb or else where?
How was it?