women's 30k

Old February 27th 10, 07:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default women's 30k

http://www.stream2watch.com/watch/7464/1/
Old February 27th 10, 08:25 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Also http://www.fromsport.com/video-178971.html

Old February 27th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

more switches: http://www.atdhe.net/7407/watch-xxi-winter-olympics

Old February 27th 10, 09:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

What a race! Missed the breakaway due to changing streams but my gosh
did the two drop everyone else. Kowalczyk's skis seemed to be gliding
a little better on the downhills, giving her moments of rest. And she
really made Bjoergen work. In the final meters, I wonder if Bjoergen
broke into a stride because her back started hurting too much -
sometimes a strider's dilemna - or because of drag DPing. That quick
change was the difference. Poor Steira pushed the pace while Marit and
Justyna switched skis, and I wonder if that cost her in the last K or
so. Salvation for Finland, especially with Kuitunen's skis being bad
from the get-go. And quite the race for Evi Sachenbacher and Masako
Ishida of Japan. Ishida seems to do well in these classic 30k's. Look
forward to the Eurosport English video.

Gene

Old February 27th 10, 11:10 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Heikki Kantola

informed
rec.skiing.nordic with the following:
What a race! Missed the breakaway due to changing streams but my gosh
did the two drop everyone else. Kowalczyk's skis seemed to be gliding
a little better on the downhills, giving her moments of rest. And she
really made Bjoergen work. In the final meters, I wonder if Bjoergen
broke into a stride because her back started hurting too much -
sometimes a strider's dilemna - or because of drag DPing. That quick
change was the difference. Poor Steira pushed the pace while Marit and
Justyna switched skis, and I wonder if that cost her in the last K or
so. Salvation for Finland, especially with Kuitunen's skis being bad
from the get-go.

I don't think her skis were bad, why she dropped so far from the podium
was primarily because around 8 km she did fall (this was not shown on
the TV). And in the post-race interview she also revealed that this will
be her last season.

The skl change element in these races is indeed quite interesting, and
for example Saarinen's last change initially looked to be less
beneficial especially as she bit fumbled with the bindings, but
eventually those skis appeared to have superior glide compared to the
others who were fighting for the bronze.

--
Heikki "Hezu" Kantola,
Lähettämällä mainoksia tai muuta asiatonta sähköpostia yllä olevaan
Old February 28th 10, 12:28 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

Yes, WOW what a race!

I was so happy to see the CRUX of the event.

Of course the finish was jump-around-the-room with tension. My wife
actually fell down and cried! : ) True! She's not even a big sports
fan but she was spellbound and overwrought!

But the CRUX was RIVETING!

When JK went around Bjoergen at the top of that last hill we could see
the TRUTH. JK had FIRE in her eyes and an expression of steel.
Bjoergen was starting to loll her eyes and drool.

B's breakaway just didn't work. I sure thought that it would! She
dropped JK so hard. A minute into the break and B was FLYING up a hill
with huge glide in her strides--making the snowmobile gun it!--but JK
was bogged down. I thought it was a no-hoper. But JK bridged up! Wow!

But that EXPRESSION when she made her move at the last hilltop said it
all. --"I'm gonna win that first winter gold for Poland NOW!"

....Then the see-sawing in the final meters...YOW!

It wasn't just your usual sprint finish moochfest with someone coming
around and stealing it. It went back'n'forth until it seemed that a
true VICTORY emerged. It was like a swordfight or something. The gap
at the end was tiny but it clearly told the WHOLE STORY!

Fun! --JP
Old February 28th 10, 01:08 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

On Feb 27, 4:02*pm, wrote:
more switches:http://www.atdhe.net/7407/watch-xxi-winter-olympics

On Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:54:07 -0700

wrote:
http://www.stream2watch.com/watch/7464/1/- Hide quoted text -

None of these links ever seem to work for me. I just wasted a bunch of
time watching curling at the link above. All the others just didn't
work. What am I doing wrong? I'd LOVE to watch the last couple km of
this race again! --JP
Old February 28th 10, 04:56 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Do you have broadband? Mine is something like 8+mbps down. The first
link worked for awhile in FF, then switched to snowcross parallel
slalom. The second worked with Opera and FF, but eventually switched to
soccer. Finally, after a break during the breakaway, someone posted an
alternative that worked through to the end with Opera. NBC also showed
much of the race with lots of breaks longer than the race parts. Guess
it takes lots of commercials to finance x-c skiing announcers.

Gene

Old February 28th 10, 04:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Yeah, it apparently turned out to be vital that four of the top five
finishers switched skis at 20k and Saarinen again at 25k. I'm
forgetting what Sachenbacher did.

Old February 28th 10, 09:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

wrote:
What a race! Missed the breakaway due to changing streams but my gosh
did the two drop everyone else. Kowalczyk's skis seemed to be gliding
a little better on the downhills, giving her moments of rest. And she

Those skis were the real difference between them:

When Justyna were behind, she could sit in a tuck and gather in Marit on
every downhill, while with the the opposite situation Marit had to work
hard just to keep up, even with the followers advantage.

really made Bjoergen work. In the final meters, I wonder if Bjoergen
broke into a stride because her back started hurting too much -
sometimes a strider's dilemna - or because of drag DPing. That quick
change was the difference. Poor Steira pushed the pace while Marit and
Justyna switched skis, and I wonder if that cost her in the last K or

It obviously did, but if she had just sat with the small leader's group,
she might have ended up with her 5th fourth place olympic finish.

so. Salvation for Finland, especially with Kuitunen's skis being bad
from the get-go. And quite the race for Evi Sachenbacher and Masako
Ishida of Japan. Ishida seems to do well in these classic 30k's. Look
forward to the Eurosport English video.

Terje

Gene

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no