running skiers

Old February 27th 10, 09:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

Default running skiers

Tough to compare a Nordic combined skier, to a biathlete, to a "just" xc
skier. How fast is Demong compared to Lars Berger the biathlete, or
OEBjordalen, or a US ski team guy like Freeman?

Just read that Demong can crank out a sub 4:30 mile and has gone 14:52 for
5k running.
Wonder where that ranks against our best XC skiers that run? Freeman is a
good runner, anyone know his best 5k? Also Daehlie, Alsgaard, Northugg are
runners and have done some track running/racing... anyone know their bests?

Old February 27th 10, 09:56 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

some more running info on skiers that i found interesting.

Bjorn Daehlies bests
8.17 (3000m)
9.01 (steeples)
14.25 (5k)
30.30 (10k)

Anders Aukland's bests
Anders Aukland has a personal best of 29.45.82. He is norwegian champ on 10k
also and has run 5k under 14min and steeples about 8.50.

Old February 27th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"outsideinmi" skrev i melding
Tough to compare a Nordic combined skier, to a biathlete, to a "just" xc
skier. How fast is Demong compared to Lars Berger the biathlete, or
OEBjordalen, or a US ski team guy like Freeman?

Just read that Demong can crank out a sub 4:30 mile and has gone 14:52 for
5k running.
Wonder where that ranks against our best XC skiers that run? Freeman is a
good runner, anyone know his best 5k? Also Daehlie, Alsgaard, Northugg
are runners and have done some track running/racing... anyone know their
bests?

Don't know, but I remember that Oddvar Brå was running 10k at about 29.30.
--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old February 28th 10, 12:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
jeff potter

On Feb 27, 4:45*pm, "outsideinmi"
wrote:
Tough to compare a Nordic combined skier, to a biathlete, to a "just" xc
skier. *How fast is Demong compared to Lars Berger the biathlete, or
OEBjordalen, or a US ski team guy like Freeman?

Do the various disciplines ever ski race head to head in the US?

Are their times typically significantly different in whatever their
common distances are? Like a 10km ski race? or 4x10 relay? Maybe
conditions make a bigger difference. ?

I was thinking that maybe the various disciplines all skied, say, a
10km in Whistler at some point in similar conditions, so that we might
have a point of comparison.

If Johnny and Bill had skied any "just plain" XC 10km events in these
Olys (or whatever distance comparable we can find), how would they
have done?

--JP
Old February 28th 10, 12:33 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
outsideinmi

like i said on the other post of yours Jeff, I think Demong did ski against
a bunch of regular USST XCers and beatt hem last spring. Not Freeman, but
like our 2-3-4-5-6ish guys. can't remember what race, some spring race out
west.

JKal.

Old February 28th 10, 09:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

outsideinmi wrote:
Tough to compare a Nordic combined skier, to a biathlete, to a "just" xc
skier. How fast is Demong compared to Lars Berger the biathlete, or
OEBjordalen, or a US ski team guy like Freeman?

Just read that Demong can crank out a sub 4:30 mile and has gone 14:52 for
5k running.
Wonder where that ranks against our best XC skiers that run? Freeman is a
good runner, anyone know his best 5k? Also Daehlie, Alsgaard, Northugg are
runners and have done some track running/racing... anyone know their bests?

Not extremely fast for either of them afaik.

I have actually run against Bjørn D once, on the steepest uphill leg of
the 15-leg Holmenkollen Relay which starts and ends downtown at Bislett
Stadium.

I did quite well that year, passing quite a few teams, but I was still
amazed by the amount of cheering from the spectators and other
competitors who had already run their leg.

Amazed that is until I saw that the one guy who had been slowly
overtaking me for the last 100-200 m or so was Bjørn. :-)

Do note that this happened after he had retired as a world cup skier!

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no
Old February 28th 10, 09:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_2_]

jeff potter wrote:
On Feb 27, 4:45 pm,
wrote:
Tough to compare a Nordic combined skier, to a biathlete, to a "just" xc
skier. How fast is Demong compared to Lars Berger the biathlete, or
OEBjordalen, or a US ski team guy like Freeman?

Do the various disciplines ever ski race head to head in the US?

Are their times typically significantly different in whatever their
common distances are? Like a 10km ski race? or 4x10 relay? Maybe
conditions make a bigger difference. ?

I was thinking that maybe the various disciplines all skied, say, a
10km in Whistler at some point in similar conditions, so that we might
have a point of comparison.

If Johnny and Bill had skied any "just plain" XC 10km events in these
Olys (or whatever distance comparable we can find), how would they
have done?

Somewhere between 40 and 70 on the 15K skate is my guess.

Terje
- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no