new skis require a different skiing style?

Old January 24th 04, 09:20 PM
Alan Baker

Default new skis require a different skiing style?

In article
cGhhdHBoaWw=.6dc6d6ab113ef415c83c547b83a633cd@107 4981189.cotse.net,
"Hounddawg" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

I've stood on lots of big bumps (this will be my... ...35th season)

It's my 42nd, what does that prove?

Feet locked together is still wrong.

You really don't understand, if you are in balance than the feet can
come together naturally - not forced together. Check out Chuck

And at no time is it easiest to *maintain* balance with the narrowest
possible based.

Martin's Mogul Logic video on positioning. And I hate to tell you
this but feet wide apart in the bumps is very very wrong and at this

I wasn't advocating feet "wide apart". Just not locked together.

point I'm going have to vote with Harb, Tejada-Flores, Chuck Martin
and Nelson Carmichael (not to mention 5 visits to summer bump
camps) rather than with you.

Harb has to add a "phantom move" which would be completely unnecessary
were he to simply allow the feet to be a natural distance apart.

Admittedly, because bump turns typically don't have deep angulation and
edge angles, the feet don't need to be very far apart, but this doesn't
change the basic fact that a natural human stance isn't with the feet
locked together.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old January 24th 04, 10:01 PM
pigo

"Hounddawg" wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

[...]

I guess one *could* keep their feet locked together if they, for some
reason, wanted to stay in the troughs and do that gay little wiggly thing
that goes on. But if you are going to SKI the bumps you need to have
independant foot action. Sometimes one foot is high while the other is low,
sometimes they get pushed together in a narrow section, sometimes they're on
opposite sides of the crown of the bump. Lots of times in the bumps I ended
up on the uphill/outside edge on the downhill side of a bump. It was the
only place to get any contact with the snow.

You've got to be ready to be on either edge of either ski. You can't do that
with your feet locked together.

Old January 25th 04, 12:36 AM
The Real Bev

Karl with a K wrote:

Alan Baker wrote:

snip

Actually not enough said, Next time you are on a bump run, stand
on top of a big bump, spread your legs out. You will notice that the
physical conditions under each foot are very different. based upon
slope, snow conditions etc. Your brain cannot efficiently deal with
multiple conditions under each foot instaneously. Therefore,
efficiency is lost.

Don't know about efficiency, but if your brain can't deal with different
feet having to do different things, how do you explain tapdancing?

In a bump field regardless of whether taking the
hack track or the corridor approach, bump skiing is facilitated by
keeping the feet closer together. Watch Lito's video about
recreational skiing in the bumps. Now that' e'nuff said.

After the third bump I have to stop anyway because I can't react quickly
enough to the fourth. I can't tapdance, either.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 25th 04, 02:19 AM
Richard Henry

"Hounddawg" wrote in message
news:cGhhdHBoaWw=.6dc6d6ab113ef415c83c547b83a633cd @1074981189.cotse.net...
Alan Baker wrote:

I've stood on lots of big bumps (this will be my... ...35th season)

It's my 42nd, what does that prove?

This will be my 50th (51st) except for those few years I missed due to
military service and the ensuing extreme poverty.

Old January 25th 04, 03:06 AM
Scottabe

scottabe wrote in message news:BC36CE54.E1DA%

Well Duh! Why do you think RealSkiers(TM)live in the west? ;-)

For the same reason RealAssholes(TM) live out west? Got to be a
correlation, because every self-styled "real skier" that has posted here
also is a real asshole.
I bet there is a connection between the asshole quotient of real skiers and
people who aren't impressed by their claims of being real skiers and laugh
at their pretensions.
Of course, I could be wrong. Armin would probably be a RealAsshole (TM) if
he didn't ski. But he'd be a real asshole somewhere else.

Well Scooter, don't you live about the furthest west of anyone in this news group?
Old January 25th 04, 03:57 AM
lal_truckee

Alan Baker wrote:

I've stood on lots of big bumps (this will be my... ...35th season)

It's my 42nd, what does that prove?

This will be my 50th (51st) except for those few years I missed due to
military service and the ensuing extreme poverty.

Dam - I didn't make the connection till you mentioned that, but 2004 is
probably about my 50th anniversary on skis, too.

Course the first 20 years of once or twice a year didn't really amount
to much in skills enhancement; but they did provide me with an
opportunity to ski in leather boots on beartrap bindings mounted to wood
skis with screw-on edges using bamboo poles with leather baskets;
between that, and watching folks who could really ski in those first
years, I recognize: that isn't anything really new under the sun. Same
as the realizing the 32 Ford had everything required for a modern car.

Also I notice that running up the high traverse clicked into long heavy
Volkl GS skis makes me kindo wish I was a mere 4 decades younger. Of
course, I'm passing folks who ARE 4 decades younger, but that don't matter.
Old January 25th 04, 11:35 AM
John Moore

On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:20:57 GMT, Alan Baker
wrote:

Harb has to add a "phantom move" which would be completely unnecessary
were he to simply allow the feet to be a natural distance apart.

This is quite a striking condemnation of Harb's teaching methods. It
would have a little more force for me, though, if you'd seen him in
action, been to one of his training camps, read either of his books or
seen either of his videos, so you would have at least some idea of
what he teaches and why.

Old January 25th 04, 05:52 PM
Alan Baker

wrote:

Harb has to add a "phantom move" which would be completely unnecessary
were he to simply allow the feet to be a natural distance apart.

This is quite a striking condemnation of Harb's teaching methods. It
would have a little more force for me, though, if you'd seen him in
action, been to one of his training camps, read either of his books or
seen either of his videos, so you would have at least some idea of
what he teaches and why.

I looked at all of his lessons on the web. I know precisely what his
phantom move is (the lifting/unweighting of the new inside ski followed
by rolling the new inside knee into the turn), and it is all
unnecessarily complex.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia

skate ski home flex test question .. help! Chris Crawford Nordic Skiing 6 February 26th 04 04:00 AM
Fast skis or "courage, stamina and style"?? Jeff Potter Nordic Skiing 9 February 25th 04 10:34 PM
Skiing in Utah BRL Nordic Skiing 5 November 25th 03 06:43 PM
Best advice for a first time xc'er VISAMAN Nordic Skiing 17 November 19th 03 11:20 PM