first double black!

Old February 13th 04, 12:43 AM
Traveler

What's a "reverse camber turn"? What would a plain "camber turn" be?

susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber turn, and the
lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I skied there.

Old February 13th 04, 04:34 AM
MattB

Traveler wrote:
What's a "reverse camber turn"? What would a plain "camber turn" be?

I think it's what I'd call an off-camber turn.

Picture a race track with banked turns. Now reverse the direction of the
slant, so it would make the cars want to slide off the track. That's
off-camber.

Matt

Old February 13th 04, 01:47 PM
pigo

"Traveler" wrote in message
What's a "reverse camber turn"? What would a plain "camber turn" be?

susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber turn, and the
lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I skied there.

Used to be that when you set a ski on a flat surface, the tip and tail would
be touching and the area of the binding would be up off of the surface an
inch or so. That's camber. Also used to be that to turn you would step on
the ski in a way to bend it in the other direction and ride that arc. That
is reverse camber.

That's a very simplified version. A snowplow turn is about as close as you
could get to your "plain camber" turn I think. But you still flatten a ski
by standing on it.

pigo

Old February 13th 04, 03:48 PM
lal_truckee

pigo wrote:
"Traveler" wrote in message

What's a "reverse camber turn"? What would a plain "camber turn" be?

susqehanna was my favorite. It has a nice reverse camber turn, and the
lift it drops you off at was never crowded any time I skied there.

Used to be that when you set a ski on a flat surface, the tip and tail would
be touching and the area of the binding would be up off of the surface an
inch or so. That's camber. Also used to be that to turn you would step on
the ski in a way to bend it in the other direction and ride that arc. That
is reverse camber.

That's a very simplified version. A snowplow turn is about as close as you
could get to your "plain camber" turn I think. But you still flatten a ski
by standing on it.

SOunds like in some parts of the country they've tried to transfer
"camber" to slope shape features. So "compressions" and fall-aways now
have "new" names.

Old February 13th 04, 04:07 PM
MattB

lal_truckee wrote:
pigo wrote:
"Traveler" wrote in message

[...]

I guess you're referring to my comments. I'm taking this terminology from
mountain biking, which may not really apply here (but I suspect maybe it
does). In the MTB world that's a pretty commonly used term for that type of
feature.

Matt

Old February 13th 04, 04:45 PM
lal_truckee

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

pigo wrote:

"Traveler" wrote in message

[...]

Not in skiing, since "camber" already has a meaning. It might be
instructive to watch some televised ski racing. Some of the commentators
sometimes make coherent comments, and sometimes even discuss terrain
freatures, like compressions and fallaways (and flushes, etc.) It's
actually low percentage that they say anything useful or even logical,
but I noticed the recent Hannenkam broadcast was good (as far as
American ski race broadcasts go) in this particular.

Of course the "freestyle" folks are busy trying to pretend they've
invented skiing and might be applying newbie names to everything, just
as if skiers haven't been doing for decades everything they're doing now.

Old February 13th 04, 06:27 PM
Chuck

lal_truckee wrote in
:

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

pigo wrote:

"Traveler" wrote in message

[...]

Whatever. All I was trying to say was that the bank of the turn falls way
from the center, not towards it.

--
Chuck
Remove "_nospam" to reply by email

Old February 13th 04, 06:48 PM
lal_truckee

Chuck wrote:

lal_truckee wrote in
:

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

pigo wrote:

"Traveler" wrote in message

[...]

I understand - and a good race course-setter would deliberately set the
gates so that the racer would have to try and turn at speed, on an
ice-hard surface, on the fallaway. It's a typical course-setter trick.
Basically, you can't turn without contact with the snow, so you'd need
to set up early with early initiation (followed by absorbtion of any
lip) and extension to maintain/regain contact to finish the turn. Lot's
of fun. If you watch racing, it's a common situation where races are
lost, and crashes occur.

Old February 13th 04, 10:31 PM
The Real Bev

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

SOunds like in some parts of the country they've tried to transfer
"camber" to slope shape features. So "compressions" and fall-aways now
have "new" names.

I guess you're referring to my comments. I'm taking this terminology from
mountain biking, which may not really apply here (but I suspect maybe it
does). In the MTB world that's a pretty commonly used term for that type of
feature.

OK, "off-camber" (also a dirt motorcycling phrase) means "fallaway,"
right? So what's a compression? A normally-banked turn?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 13th 04, 11:08 PM
lal_truckee

The Real Bev wrote:

MattB wrote:

lal_truckee wrote:

SOunds like in some parts of the country they've tried to transfer
"camber" to slope shape features. So "compressions" and fall-aways now
have "new" names.

I guess you're referring to my comments. I'm taking this terminology from
mountain biking, which may not really apply here (but I suspect maybe it
does). In the MTB world that's a pretty commonly used term for that type of
feature.

OK, "off-camber" (also a dirt motorcycling phrase) means "fallaway,"
right? So what's a compression? A normally-banked turn?

Don't forget skiing is vertical, not horizontal. Turning isn't banked.
(except for these wusses in terrain park cross-x-doublety doodah
courses.) Compressions are when the terrain changes slope angle to less
steep, while moving fast enough to pull some Gs. Think of when someone
jumps off a cliff and lands on flat rocks - he compresses into a
pancake. If he lands on a slope maybe his strength is sufficient to
withstand the compression and he can ski out.