Poles are too long on rockhard classic course!

Old February 15th 05, 02:56 AM

Default Poles are too long on rockhard classic course!

An goofy thing was that on the rock-hard Vasa trail my poles felt way
too long in the GT classic race. It's because the tracks were the usual
2" deep but when you poled alongside them, your poles didn't sink in at
all! Making poles effectively about 2" longer than usual!

It seemed quite bad the very few times I could diagonal stride. The
longer poles were no problem when DPing. But I had to plant the baskets
further back when striding and had to think about doing so and that was
lame--messes with your swing.

If a course like that had lots of moderate uphill---meaning, lots of
striding---one would be smart to use shorter poles. (If the course had
been the original instead of rerouted due to lack of snow then it
would've had much more striding.)

It's crazy all the sets of equipment this sport involves. (Maybe you'd
just use your dryland poles? Coz aren't they supposed to be shorter?)

--JP