MPEG audio solution?

Old November 20th 04, 11:09 PM
Brian Pauley

Default MPEG audio solution?

Hi,

Has anyone figured out the lack of audio using Windows on the
Dusseldorf Sprint MPEGs? I tried the suggested solution by Janne and
still no audio.

Thanks,

Brian
Old November 21st 04, 04:13 AM
Peter

I followed the directions at
http://www.xvidmovies.com/players/
and had no trouble getting the Dusseldorf videos to play in Windows
Media Player 10, audio included.

To me, the quality appears to be better than the DivX encoded videos
that Janne was posting previously. Let me take this opportunity to
tip my hat to Janne for the excellent service he provides to those of
us who have no access to live coverage of the World Cup races.
THANKS Janne!!!

-Peter

om...

Old November 21st 04, 01:14 PM
taywood

Peter wrote:
I followed the directions at
http://www.xvidmovies.com/players/
and had no trouble getting the Dusseldorf videos to play in Windows
Media Player 10, audio included.

Hi Peter
What do you mean when you say you followed directions.

I already have WMP 10 and I've downloaded and installed
the Xvidcodec several times but I still dont have audio when
I play the 04 vids.

Since there are no directions on the page did you download
the full Windows Media Player Version 10 which is offered?
It doesnt say in print that the Xvidcodec is in that program.

Or did you only download the Xvidcodec?
Thanks Mike

Old November 21st 04, 05:50 PM
Peter

I downloaded and installed the codec, then tried Media Player. Media
Player immediately prompted me to update to the current version (I think I
had version 9). I went throught the update installation of Media Player 10,
and when that was complete, the Xvid files played perfectly.

So, perhaps it is necessary to have the Xvid codec installed before
installing
Media Player 10?
-Peter

Old November 22nd 04, 08:33 AM
taywood

"Peter" peboATbovengDOTnet wrote in message
I downloaded and installed the codec, then tried Media Player.

Thanks Peter
But I found out last night that the Xvidcodec is only for video not
audio so its time for me to ask the local techies how to get
mp3 audio for the WMPlayer.
Mike

Old November 22nd 04, 08:37 AM
taywood

"Peter" peboATbovengDOTnet wrote in message
I downloaded and installed the codec, then tried Media Player.

Thanks Peter
But I found out last night that the Xvidcodec is only for video not
audio and it seems I need mp3 audio for the WMPlayer.
I've been told that all I have to do is find the GSpot.
(Thats the GSpot Codec Information Appliance)
Mike

Old November 22nd 04, 02:00 PM
Janne G

taywood wrote:
"Peter" peboATbovengDOTnet wrote in message

I downloaded and installed the codec, then tried Media Player.

Thanks Peter
But I found out last night that the Xvidcodec is only for video not
audio and it seems I need mp3 audio for the WMPlayer.
I've been told that all I have to do is find the GSpot.
(Thats the GSpot Codec Information Appliance)
Mike

Try gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) to check if you have the
needed codecs in your system to play the video.
Some suitable codecspacks are available at ftp://avari181.mt.luth.se/pub/
and more info at http://avari181.mt.luth.se/ in the "video tools section"
Old November 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
BarryT

Thanks Janne for these great races. Still amazed at the green leaves hanging
over the white trail...

I have upgraded to the latest DivX version recently. When I tried playing
the Dusseldorf files, I got an error message from the DivX player. I opened
the file with Windows Media Player 9 and both image and sound were perfect!
I am no Microsoft fan but, hey, if it works without 2 days of tweaking and
downsloading and installing and trying this and that, I'll use it.

BarryT

Old November 22nd 04, 03:11 PM
Adam Gale

To anyone else that is having problems,
I always use either the new windows media player or the old one
"mplayer2.exe". The use of such video players as divxplayer have never
in my eyes been the optimal player. One reason for not playing the mpeg
files well for most is that it is not a divx codec. It is an mpeg 1-2
or 4 codec usually so divx has nothing to do with it and will not be the
optimal player.

If you have problems with video playing in general, download the Nemo
Codec Pack. First, uninstall all installed codecs, reset your computer,
then install nemo. Read the disclaimer carefully, some codecs should
not be installed. Reset your computer again and you should have no
video problems again (until they devise a new codec again). If you find
some videos doing a wierd blur effect or simply a green screen or a
greenish blur, download and install also the ffdshow filter. This
filter is for xvid codecs and does the job nicely of fixing this
problem. These two programs have been livesafers to all of my video needs!

Old November 22nd 04, 06:32 PM
taywood

This is for Janne. Sorry to bother you guys.

I have up to date Gspot
Audio shows I have a compatible codec
Code 0x0055 Fraunhofer 11s MPEG Layer-3 Pro
Direct Show Render shows the Audio Path blank and the
words Partial Failure 0x00040242:VFW_S Partial_Render
Some of the streams in this movie are in an un supported
format.
Direct Show partially succeeded to play the file. The following
combination of filters were used
C\Doc and Sett.. Dusseldorf04.Sprint4.avi AVI splitter
ffdshow MPEG-4 Video decoder Video Renderer

Somewhere I read to check C\Windows\System32
and I have l3codeca.acm and L3CODECP.acm

Sorry I dont understand any of this, does it make sense to you?
Apart from 03races which play OK in my WMP10 the04 races
are the only .avi videos I have tried to play.
Mike