Jay T's BIG and I mean BIG, Saturday Workout - 50K Club Report 4-17-18-04

Old April 18th 04, 05:33 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Jay T's BIG and I mean BIG, Saturday Workout - 50K Club Report 4-17-18-04

Jay T's Big Saturday Workout 4-17-04:
I rode in the Durand Road Race in Durand, Wisconsin. The categories
were based on distance so there was some overlap. They were 1/2/3,
3/4, 4/5, 35+ and 45+. Since I'm 46, I did the two lap, 27 mile, 45+
event. One of the guys in his 50s finished 8th in the 1/2/3 which was
67 miles. Skiers in the 45+ included John Stamm in 6th, Tom Bengel in
11th, Mike Lyner in 13th. I placed 15th and hung on to the pack until
1/4th of the way through the race. Lyner picked it up on an uphill and
opened a gap. Those that could hang on did and those of us who are up
8 pounds since the Birkie had a little trouble. I got accordianed when
a couple of guys in front of me could'nt close the gap down. Once you
lose the pack, it's tough to catch up. I was 50 yards behind the pack
that contained Stamm, Lyner and Bengel after that hill. I hit 31mph
trying to catch back on but the pack kept up the pace. I finally
decided to race on my own. A little later, I caught another rider who
dropped off on the next hill. We rode the first lap together take
turns pulling, We caught another rider at the beginning of the second
lap. The three of us worked together until the last 1/4th of the race
where I hammered the the two big uphills. One of the guys hung on but
the other one faded away. Once again, the same guy from lap one and I
worked together. We had thought we were in the clear at the finish but
the rider we caught at the beginning of the second lap had latched on
to the wheel of a 4/5 rider we passed. We didn't know he was that
close until the finish when he caught us by surprise. He took 14th and
I grabbed 15th. I was very satisfied with my race though and plan to
cut down on the junk food so I can climb better...

50K Club Report, Sunday, 4-18-04:
Tom and Lee Bengel and I rode our mountain bikes on the fabulous
single track at Lebanon Hills just south of Saint Paul. We rode for 45
minutes and then had to wait out a fairly strong thunderstorm that
turned the course to mud. The course was nice and dry before the rain.
Our bikes got caked with the same mud that caked us after the storm.
Anyway, we continued to ride as the trail dried out again fairly
quickly. After we finished, we came across John Schmidt and Jeff Arndt
who were just starting. The total time for ride was 1 1/2 hours.

Jay Tegeder
"Keep training, lycra never lies!" JT
Old April 19th 04, 09:39 AM
FrontRunner

Jay,

If you cannot drop those post Birkie pounds, then the only answer is
titanium and carbon fiber.

I got two rollerskis and one bike ride in over the weekend. 25k skate
Saturday and 20k classic Sunday followed by a 20 mile bike ride on the
DeRosa.

The FrontRunner
"Back to Birkie weight, only fine Italian steel for me"

om...