Jay T's Saturday Workout and 50K Club Report 2-7,8-04

Old February 8th 04, 10:33 PM
Jay Tegeder

Default Jay T's Saturday Workout and 50K Club Report 2-7,8-04

Saturday Workout 2-7-04: Notice how I didn't say "Big" Saturday
Workout... I skated for 1 hour at the famed "Comenkollen" in Saint
Paul. I wanted to take it easy before the Sunday race, the famed Mora
Vasaloppet in Minnesota. Anyway, I skied with John O'Connell, Jay
Wenner, Bill Stuber and Fred Kueffer Jr.

50K Club Report Sunday 2-8-04: The famed Mora Vasaloppet in Minnesota.
I chose the 35K Skate with the other options being the 58K Skate, 42K
Classic and 13K Skate. The 35K is always the largest of the four
races. I had a decent race after a couple of bad ones in a row. I
placed 37th out of 554 in a time of 1:49. Grant Nelson won the event
in 1:38. Jay Wenner was 6th only a few seconds behind Grant. Anyway,
the snow was fresh, only one day old and the temp was in the low to
high teens throughout the event. However, there was a monster wind out
of the south which slowed us down as the race goes north to south. The
skiing was fine in the woods and the majority of the race is in the
woods. There are a couple of lake crossings though and about 5Ks of
open fields. With the warm-up, the total time training was a little
over 2 hours.

Jay Tegeder
"On the podium if the right people don't show up!" JT
p.s. I finished 5th in my age group which was the largest in the race
at 75 skiers...
Old February 9th 04, 01:04 AM
Bkstuber

Nice going Jay. I was starting to worry about you.

I didn't stick around to get my time but the 58 felt good. I kept the HR 10
beats below my threshold and finshed strong.

You were right about the wind, there were a few spots that were so wind blow
that you couldn't tell which way to go.

Thats skiing....all a good time.

Bill