Photos from Stockholm and Falun

Old March 31st 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
oskarlin

Default Photos from Stockholm and Falun

Hi, I took some photos at the sprint race in Stockholm and also up in Falun.

Stockholm
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarli...7600038194383/

Falun
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarli...7600037926536/

/o

Old April 1st 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
David Dermott

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 wrote:

That video on your home page is a hoot (
http://www.oskarlin.com/).
Interesting maps too.

rm

oskarlin wrote:

Hej Oskar,

Nice new skates too! Hopefully, next winter will be a better,
longer ice skating season for you.
I had a nice skate on Mar 25. photos at:
http://www.dermott.ca/ice07/icefotos.html

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
WWW pages: http://www.dermott.ca/index.html

Old April 1st 07, 10:29 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Good pics Oskarlin! Thanks. I'd love to see a World Cup race in
person.

Old April 2nd 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
32 Degrees B

Excellent pics, especially up at Falun ! Looked like a fast track
there with lots of snow still. Its nice to watch a race and walk
through the woods...

JKal.

On Mar 31, 6:15 pm, oskarlin wrote:
Hi, I took some photos at the sprint race in Stockholm and also up in Falun.

Stockholmhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarlin/sets/72157600038194383/

Falunhttp://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarlin/sets/72157600037926536/

/o

Old April 2nd 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Oskar Karlin

Hi, nice photos!

Yeah this season was short...
But i manage to take some photos though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarli...7594588854291/

/o

Old April 3rd 07, 03:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

"Oskar Karlin" skrev i melding

Hi, nice photos!

Yeah this season was short...
But i manage to take some photos though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarli...7594588854291/

It's still season here. -6 C this morning and new-fallen snow.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes

Old April 3rd 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen

Default Great skiing conditions in Telemark!

Terje Henriksen wrote:
"Oskar Karlin" skrev i melding
Hi, nice photos!

Yeah this season was short...
But i manage to take some photos though:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskarli...7594588854291/

It's still season here. -6 C this morning and new-fallen snow.

Season? Oh, Yes Indeed!

We're currently in the middle of the 10-day Norwegian Easter, which
traditionally should be celebrated with xc skiing from a mountain cabine
(or by skiing from lodge to lodge, maybe across Hardangervidda or
Jotunheimen).

We're in Rauland now, the first Easter since we switched mountain cabin,
and conditions simply couldn't be any better. :-)

We have crust conditions everywhere, the track setters run in the
evening so that the trails will be perfect in the morning, but with the
crust you can basically ski anywhere.

I ski with a small backpack (for food & drink) and a Lowe waist pack for
my camera gear, this works out nicely since I can twist the camera pack
around to quickly grab some photos, then store the camera and twist the
pack around again.

Today I skied with my brother Knut and his youngest son, Hans-Petter,
using skate gear: The first 8 km (as measured by GPS, and according to
the official distance markers) took me just 22:28, which for me was a
personal best on that trail. From that point (Sveige Bridge) we followed
the (unplowed) summer road for a km, then started the serious uphill part:

We climbed from 900 m to 1450 m altitude in just 3.5 km, but to do so we
were willing to do sacrilege: We put 'Universal Klister' on our skate skis!

This allowed me to basically walk straight up the hillside, and by the
time we made it over the 1460 m watershed and could start skating again,
90% of the klister had been abraded away.

At this point we skied another 3.5 km of gentle (10-40 m) up&downs
across a plateau, before the final 170 m of altitude to the target of
today's trip: Husnuten which at 1609 m above sea level is the highest
mountain in our area.

Total distance to the top was 17.5 km, and we had used 2.5 hours on the
last 9 km, compared to less than half an hour on the first half.

The return trip was interesting: The sun didn't manage to melt the
surface today, so it was still icy when we skied down the steep
hillside: We had to make so many traverses back and forth that my GPS
claimed we'd skied four more km going down than we'd used to get up!

The final 8 km of the return trip took 27 minutes, my legs were so
wasted by the icy mountain skiing that I had to more or less double-pole
everything. :-(

Terje
PS. We saw a bunch (6-8) guys with heavy duty telemark/alpine gear in
the morning: They had tied their skis to their backpacks and pole-walked
up the same hill we skied up (& down) in our skate gear. :-)
--
-