261 inches

Old April 8th 06, 09:07 PM

Default 261 inches

That's NOT total snowfall

That's compacted, dense, hardpack snow ON THE GROUND right now at the
mid mountain snow stake.

And another 6-8 inches of fresh cement last night for skiing pleasure.
Takes about 2 runs to adjust to the sierra cement and then it's all
good. Sometimes I think sierra cement is my favorite condition - never
really gets tracked out because so many folks avoid it; fresh tracks are
available all day.

It's amusing - these guys with their new, wide, short "all mountain"
skis standing around perplexed by the conditions. I'm tempted (but
restrain myself, so far) to stop and tell them to 1) get old school,
long, firm, skinny GS race skis and 2) be an old retired fart; the whole
mountain would open up if they would just accept sound advice.

Bye
Old April 8th 06, 10:56 PM

Sven Golly wrote:
lal_truckee wrote in news:ACVZf.65618$Jd.23322
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

It's amusing - these guys with their new, wide, short "all mountain"
skis standing around perplexed by the conditions.

You're good with the old school routine Lloyd but the truth is, I ski
Sierra Cement (TM) all the time on my wide, short "all mountain" skis. They
beat the crap out of my old school, skinny, firm GS and slalom skis --
especially when the conditions go from concrete to corn to slush and back.

Like today? It was all represented; and all good. Doncha just love it?

Still: I observed a lot of standing around perplexed.
Old April 9th 06, 02:39 AM

Sven Golly wrote:

I wouldn't know since I'm stuck in Lodi again.

Did Janice ever show you her Porsche?
Old April 9th 06, 03:12 AM

lal_truckee wrote:

Sven Golly wrote:

lal_truckee wrote in news:ACVZf.65618$Jd.23322
@newssvr25.news.prodigy.net:

It's amusing - these guys with their new, wide, short "all mountain"
skis standing around perplexed by the conditions.

You're good with the old school routine Lloyd but the truth is, I ski
Sierra Cement (TM) all the time on my wide, short "all mountain" skis.
They beat the crap out of my old school, skinny, firm GS and slalom
skis -- especially when the conditions go from concrete to corn to
slush and back.

Like today? It was all represented; and all good. Doncha just love it?

Still: I observed a lot of standing around perplexed.

You KNOW that's got nothing to do with the gear.

Old April 15th 06, 04:44 PM

lal_truckee wrote:
That's NOT total snowfall. That's compacted, dense, hardpack snow
ON THE GROUND right now at the mid mountain snow stake.

And more falling right now -- plus more cold powdery stuff tomorrow.
If lifts are open, Dodge Ridge will have good conditions at the base.

It's amusing - these guys with their new, wide, short "all mountain"
skis standing around perplexed by the conditions. I'm tempted (but
restrain myself, so far) to stop and tell them to 1) get old school,
long, firm, skinny GS race skis and 2) be an old retired fart; the whole
mountain would open up if they would just accept sound advice.

What is it you especially like about long, firm, skinny GS race skis?
There are still plenty available at flea markets, and hanging on walls
as trophies of the "old school" daze.

I see why you like retirement. Life it too short for a fulltime job.

And another 6-8 inches of fresh cement last night for skiing pleasure.
Takes about 2 runs to adjust to the sierra cement and then it's all
good. Sometimes I think sierra cement is my favorite condition - never
really gets tracked out because so many folks avoid it; fresh tracks are
available all day.

Having used long skinny skis in sierra cement, I have no idea how you
do this. I go off piste, I get ****ed off. Good exercise, though.

Old April 15th 06, 09:00 PM

"Bill Tuthill" wrote in message

Having used long skinny skis in sierra cement, I have no idea how
you
do this. I go off piste, I get ****ed off. Good exercise, though.

Doesn't sound like you "used" them very well.

Old April 17th 06, 02:24 AM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

[...]

Actually he does this rather well. He took me over to the sunny side
at Alpine where I floundered around in 12" of the above mentioned
material and he just glided through it. I think it's a matter of
taste. I got him to take me back in the shade as soon as I could.
Old April 17th 06, 04:48 AM

VtSkier wrote:
Bill Tuthill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:

Sometimes I think sierra cement is my favorite
condition - never really gets tracked out because so many folks avoid
it; fresh tracks are available all day.

Having used long skinny skis in sierra cement, I have no idea how you
do this. I go off piste, I get ****ed off. Good exercise, though.

Actually he does this rather well. He took me over to the sunny side
at Alpine where I floundered around in 12" of the above mentioned
material and he just glided through it. I think it's a matter of
taste. I got him to take me back in the shade as soon as I could.

Hey! You did PDG for a certified Eastern Ice[tm] guy. It was that
massive tree well below Bernie's that did you in...

Another good thing about California Sierra Cement is all the time you
save for beer drinking cause you don't have to sharpen your edges.

I will admit Sierra Cement isn't for dilettantes. FWIW, it takes
appropriate experience. The real secret is you have to be of a certain
sufficiently advanced age to have had time to accumulated that
appropriate experience with all the myriad possible conditions.
Geezerdom has it's minor benefits. For you youthful kids of 50 or so:
keep at it - you'll learn eventually.

PS - still time to schedule a visit.
Old April 17th 06, 05:58 PM

lal_truckee wrote:

I will admit Sierra Cement isn't for dilettantes. FWIW, it takes
appropriate experience. The real secret is you have to be of a certain
sufficiently advanced age to have had time to accumulated that
appropriate experience with all the myriad possible conditions.
Geezerdom has it's minor benefits. For you youthful kids of 50 or so:
keep at it - you'll learn eventually.

Any hints for us dilettantes? Do you turn where it's maximally cut-up,
or in the untouched (virgin) cement? When the slope gets really steep,
how do you get those long skis around fast enough? E.g. coming off the
right side of Disney toward Lincoln chair at Sugar Bowl.

The only hint I can offer is that with new-school moguls, chopped off
by snowboarders, it's easier to turn on the top where the snow is loose,
than on the backside where it's icy. Used to be the other way around.

Old April 17th 06, 08:48 PM

Bill Tuthill wrote:
lal_truckee wrote:
I will admit Sierra Cement isn't for dilettantes. FWIW, it takes
appropriate experience. The real secret is you have to be of a certain
sufficiently advanced age to have had time to accumulated that
appropriate experience with all the myriad possible conditions.
Geezerdom has it's minor benefits. For you youthful kids of 50 or so:
keep at it - you'll learn eventually.

Any hints for us dilettantes? Do you turn where it's maximally cut-up,
or in the untouched (virgin) cement? When the slope gets really steep,
how do you get those long skis around fast enough? E.g. coming off the
right side of Disney toward Lincoln chair at Sugar Bowl.

Advice? Miles.

For Cement (and other difficult softer crap snow) pressure the outside
shovel and ride the ski around patiently; commit completely to the next
turn by putting your CG AHEAD and DOWN the hill and patiently pressure
the new outside shovel.
Sometimes locked, paired, feet (like for bottomless powder) will work
and is mucho fun.
On the steep, COMMITMENT DOWN the hill is vital (you don't make the
turn, you land on your head type commitment,) coupled with a blocking
pole plant, gets you from side to side faster. In impossible snow
reverting to the 1950s era Austrian heel-thrust technique can work.

The only hint I can offer is that with new-school moguls, chopped off
by snowboarders, it's easier to turn on the top where the snow is loose,
than on the backside where it's icy. Used to be the other way around.

Big sweeping GS turns ignoring the moguls using lots of avalement
(French for "swallow the bump" i.e. absorption) is a kick - and a longer
ski will bridge the bumps better.

Long skis bridging the irregularities is a key to lots of difficult
snow. Another thing longer skis provide, that shorter ones can't no
matter what the design and sidecut, is greater angular momentum. Higher
angular momentum in a ski resists getting knocked aside by
irregularities in the snow, hence the ski tracks more accurately.

Bottom line is I just like them. I try as many new design skis as I can,
and even own some (oddballs like an S-SKI - remember those? and
standards like X-Screams) just for variation; but I only take them out
about as often as I take out my 224cm DHs.