AT/Randonee bindings

Old February 10th 04, 11:52 PM
Jonathan Shefftz

Many skiers have setups such as this mounted w/ the Fritschi Diamir
Freeride (or Diamir III if they can fit within its 3-10 release
setting range). The boot:ski coupling is a little less rigid than
with an alpine downhill binding, but that's noticeable only on very
firm "snow." If you're not into major airtime, durability is fine
(although a backup toe piece is a good idea on long tours). It
doesn't have all the complicated release angles of high-end alpine
downhill bindings, but those technological advances have had no effect
on the ACL injury rate anyway, so a properly adjusted Diamir is
probably just as safe as any alpine downhill binding.
The Naxo is a worthy competitor to the Freeride, but the heel cocking
lever seems to be prone to breaking. See wildsnow.com for further
details -- in general, seems to be a toss-up on the Freeride v. Naxo
debate.
Old February 11th 04, 12:07 AM

Old February 12th 04, 09:45 PM
David Off

bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.rec.backcountry.Feb.

wrote:
While I don't
think the NAXO's are as safe as current alpine bindings, they're
probably a lot safer than anything I skiied on in the 70's and
80's.

To be honest they don't seem to offer a lot more than the Sk'Alp 8007s
which I was skiing in the early 90s.

Old February 18th 04, 04:13 PM
julia

If someone offers you Ramer bindings, back away slowly, then run. Run
fast, run far. Biggest pieces of unreliable crap ever foisted upon the
BC community. I saw many a skier struggle with these awful things,
myself included.

Hey, I learned to ski on Ramers in the Colorado backcountry! Never had
any problem with them. Used mine for over 10 years, lift service too.
Unfortunatly, fully automatic is all some people can deal with.

Probably the best and lightest set up you can get for mountaineeing
boots. You really don't even need the heel release/lock down for
touring, only for going up hills. They even tele OK, once you get used
to the stiff sole.
I found a pair at the local thrift shop for 10 bucks... but I'm
keeping them for parts.

Julia
Old February 20th 04, 05:34 AM
x15x15

If someone offers you Ramer bindings, back away slowly, then run. Run
fast, run far. Biggest pieces of unreliable crap ever foisted upon the
BC community. I saw many a skier struggle with these awful things,
myself included.

You must be stupid.

x15x15

Old February 20th 04, 07:10 AM
Eugene Miya

If someone offers you Ramer bindings, back away slowly, then run. Run
fast, run far. Biggest pieces of unreliable crap ever foisted upon the
BC community. I saw many a skier struggle with these awful things,
myself included.

In article ,
x15x15 wrote:
You must be stupid.

It's not a simple call.
I just got back from a trip using my, what 3rd? or 2nd pair.
Manufacturing quality occasionally left something to be desired in a few
cases (during the Motivator generation for one) many years ago.

Yet they are the binding of choice for the Antarctic Program and
Messner uses them. They are unbeatable for field maintainability (even
doing a web search recently people pine).

(julia) wrote:
Hey, I learned to ski on Ramers in the Colorado backcountry! Never had
any problem with them. Used mine for over 10 years, lift service too.

Probably the best and lightest set up you can get for mountaineeing
boots. You really don't even need the heel release/lock down for
touring, only for going up hills. They even tele OK, once you get used
to the stiff sole.
I found a pair at the local thrift shop for 10 bucks... but I'm
keeping them for parts.

Depends on your skiing abilities.
They are pretty good for combined skiing and mountaineering.
But if I really want to recreate at a resort, I will carry the Rossis.

The first pair I used were low slung aluminum things with the early
black finish (they had the springs for the heel lifts). Avoid these
as too early (may be unuseable for a few parts). The second gen that I had
were aluminum unglazed with the polyethene plugs. These got sent back
to Paul for entry into "the Museum" (maybe at Neptune's now). Then came
a couple of Motivator generations. Al was rejected and steel was
stronger for the weight and overall lighter. The last generation were
anondized steel with the finger pins (with DIN settings).

I doubt the L-bolts or some of the barrel screws would be easily
duplicatable on the earliest bindings.

Crude yeah? Paul did quite a hack job, but wonderously fixable in the field.
You can't say that about the other bindings out there.

I have a good friend suffering from brain cancer. Going to have to
divvy his gear up in time. But I think I want to keep his Ramer steel
ski poles as my rememberance of him. Sad, but true.
"But I'm not dead yet...."

Old February 20th 04, 12:33 PM
Michael Boos

General remark: ski length for general (plastic) mountaineering boots
may be chosen much shorter than regular ski length (approx. 130 cm =
51'). The boots don't support as much as regular ski boots do, so
lesser length of skis does make them manoeuvrable like regular length
skis with regular ski boots. Extra models are available but may cost!
Shorten regular skis may help because the stress for the screws fixing
the bindings on the skis do not have to be that strong as on regular skis.

The Silvretta 300 series is the lightest of the old silvretta line. It
has no side release, although with plastic boots and exactly fitting
rear heel part, it did release sideways if not too tightly adjusted.

It will be the cheapest, though hard to be found.

Ramers work as well and are the same weight class, but need a little bit
more maintenance (lubing).

The Silvretta 400 series bindings have a built-in sideways release
mechanism which adds considerably to its weight.

This written, try to find old silvrettas.

Good luck.

--
L. Michael Boos

Need some advice about bindings [email protected] Snowboarding 3 December 9th 04 10:22 PM
salomon bindings / burton boards Joe Snowboarding 6 December 18th 03 10:48 PM
Mounting alpine bindings Terry Hill Alpine Skiing 26 December 6th 03 06:51 AM
Mount Bindings Schmoe Alpine Skiing 12 November 15th 03 04:02 PM
Atomic Ski Bindings - 4.12 or 6.14 which is better for me? Christopher Luke Alpine Skiing 7 August 10th 03 03:40 PM