skier's edge

Old November 18th 04, 06:47 PM
frank

Default skier's edge

anyone out there own a skier's edge exercise machine, and use it? is it
worth all of that money?

Old November 18th 04, 09:31 PM
Walt

frank wrote:

anyone out there own a skier's edge exercise machine, and use it? is it
worth all of that money?

I've got a friend who has one, and it's certainly worth going over to
his house to use it for free. It definitely works some of the muscles
you use for skiing, but since it doesn't get all of them you'll still be
sore the first day out. It's clearly better than no conditioning at
all, and is one of the better ways to build up your leg muscles during
the off season. Many serious ski racers us it for conditioning.

The problem with these kind of exercise machines is that people tend to
buy them and not use them, as if you could buy physical conditioning by
handing over your credit card. But if you actually use it, it will do
some good. Whether it's worth the money is highly dependent on how much
money you have to burn. If it's a question of lift tickets or airfare
vs. exercise machine, go skiing.

Note that one of their selling points is that it will help you learn to
ski. I really really have a hard time believing that it'll do much of
anything for somebody who doesn't know how to ski. If you're looking at
it for that purpose, fuggitabodit.

So, the short answer is: probably not worth the money, depending on how
much disposable cash you've got on hand. Yes, it works, but only if
you actually use it. And if cash is an issue, there are exercises you
can do without spending money on a machine.

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 18th 04, 10:31 PM
lal_truckee

Walt wrote:
frank wrote:

anyone out there own a skier's edge exercise machine, and use it? is
it worth all of that money?

I've got a friend who has one, and it's certainly worth going over to
his house to use it for free. It definitely works some of the muscles
you use for skiing, but since it doesn't get all of them you'll still be
sore the first day out. It's clearly better than no conditioning at
all, and is one of the better ways to build up your leg muscles during
the off season. Many serious ski racers us it for conditioning.

Do you know this? Or is it advertising?

The problem with these kind of exercise machines is that people tend to
buy them and not use them, as if you could buy physical conditioning by
handing over your credit card. But if you actually use it, it will do
some good. Whether it's worth the money is highly dependent on how much
money you have to burn. If it's a question of lift tickets or airfare
vs. exercise machine, go skiing.

I think you can get the same side to side leg excercise in many better
ways for free (although you may draw some strange looks.) Just go
running and bound side to side; even better (and it adds a bit of a
thrill) is tree running. Run through close trees where you have to make
rapid direction changes to protect the noggin. Or creek running - run
down a creekbed (dry, preferably) and bound from rock to rock, side to
side. Or for a more direct ski-like excercise (which WILL improve your
skiing) try inline skating - highly recommended.

Old November 19th 04, 01:01 AM
Marty

"lal_truckee" wrote in message

I think you can get the same side to side leg excercise in many better
ways for free (although you may draw some strange looks.) Just go
running and bound side to side; even better (and it adds a bit of a
thrill) is tree running. Run through close trees where you have to make
rapid direction changes to protect the noggin. Or creek running - run
down a creekbed (dry, preferably) and bound from rock to rock, side to
side. Or for a more direct ski-like excercise (which WILL improve your
skiing) try inline skating - highly recommended.

Yup. Good old dry land training. It works, it's fun, it's free, and you're
outside. I've been running around the new trees that the parkies put in the
park by my house. Too bad most are in a straight line. I think I'm gonna
go work for the Park and Rec. Then, when new trees need to go in, they'll
have a nice GS rhythm to them.

I'd like to try one of these (way less than a Skier's Edge and you're
outside):
http://www.fitter1.com/TR-B.html

My only concern with that thing is that the people using it appear to be
banking too much. Maybe that's just them, but maybe it's a matter of the
machine?

I wish I were skiing, since that is the best way to become a better skier,
but it just won't get cold here in MN. :-(
--
Marty

Old November 19th 04, 01:50 PM
Walt

lal_truckee wrote:
Walt wrote:
frank wrote:

anyone out there own a skier's edge exercise machine, and use it? is
it worth all of that money?

I've got a friend who has one, and it's certainly worth going over to
his house to use it for free. It definitely works some of the muscles
you use for skiing, but since it doesn't get all of them you'll still
be sore the first day out. It's clearly better than no conditioning
at all, and is one of the better ways to build up your leg muscles
during the off season. Many serious ski racers us it for conditioning.

Do you know this? Or is it advertising?

Do I know what? That my friend has one? Yeah, I'm pretty sure of that.

That it works some of the major ski muscles? Yeah, having used it, I'm
pretty sure of that too.

That it's better than nothing at all? Likewise.

That serious racers use it for conditioning? Um... no first hand
knowlege here, but I don't have any reason to doubt the testimonials on
their website. Maybe Sonia Nef and Stephen Eberharter are lying, but my
take is that any FIS skier is going to spend a grillion hours cross
training in the exercise room, and this product is one of many exercise
machines that they use.

--
//-Walt
//
Old November 19th 04, 04:25 PM
downhill

Skiers Edge is one of the sponsors of the Summer Fun National Masters
race at Mt Hood in July. Many of the master use it as one of the tools
to stay in shape. Many of the international ski teams and US Ski Team
use in in there training. There has been several manufacturing attempts
in the past to create a machine that duplicates downhill skiers needs,
but the Skiers Edge seems to be the one that has remained. They also
have a slope simulator that fits the world cup version and there are
routines that you can use to work on balance.
I use the machine 2 to 3 times a week and it definitely helps with
conditioning, it also makes a good anchor for rubber band pull cords
used in other exercises.

Walt wrote:

Old November 19th 04, 05:39 PM
Walt

downhill wrote:

Skiers Edge is one of the sponsors of the Summer Fun National Masters
race at Mt Hood in July. Many of the master use it as one of the tools
to stay in shape. Many of the international ski teams and US Ski Team
use in in there training. There has been several manufacturing attempts
in the past to create a machine that duplicates downhill skiers needs,
but the Skiers Edge seems to be the one that has remained. They also
have a slope simulator that fits the world cup version and there are
routines that you can use to work on balance.
I use the machine 2 to 3 times a week and it definitely helps with
conditioning, it also makes a good anchor for rubber band pull cords
used in other exercises.

Yeah, it's a pretty solid piece of machinery. It's not some flimsy
piece of crapware designed to be used twice and then stashed under the
bed. Hence the cost. (which is a bit much for my inner cheapskate)

--
//-Walt
//