Nordic Skiing in Rochester NY

Old December 6th 03, 03:51 PM
Ron Andrews

Default Nordic Skiing in Rochester NY

I started by looking for an FAQ or group charter for this news group
and did not find one. I believe this post is on topic, but I'm sure I'll
hear if it is not.
As a recreational skier and father of a high school racer, we are
frequently looking for decent snow on which to ski. Each weekend we ask: How
far do we have to drive to find decent snow? Sometimes there will be a lake
squall that will dump 8 inches of snow by the lakeshore and leave us (5
miles away) with just a dusting. Other times we will be bare, but Harriett
Hollister (south of us) has a foot of snow. I've collected several websites
that often have useful information, but I'm hoping to expand the knowledge
base. I will encourage other skiers in the Rochester area to contribute to
this thread with up-to-date reports on snow conditions. Meanwhile, here are
some of the sites I consult:

Snow conditions at Harriet Hollister Spencer recreation area
http://www.nordicextreme.com/HarrietHollister.html

Snow conditions reported by the Pittsford high school Nordic ski team
http://www.pittsford.monroe.edu/staf...skicondits.htm

Rochester Nordic Ski club snow condition reports
http://www.rochesternordic.org/Reports.htm

Customized trail map of Mendon Ponds Park
http://homepage.mac.com/randrews4/.P.../MendonMap.jpg

BTW, snow conditions for Brighton/Penfield area (near Ellison Park) on 12/6:
not quite enough crusty snow to cover the grass.

--
Ron Andrews
http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html

Old December 7th 03, 01:56 AM
Mitch Collinsworth

Hi Ron,

Yes, we have the same snow-chasing challenge down here in Ithaca
when snow is marginal. One hill can have a foot or more when
another a few miles away is scraping rocks. And it's not always
consistent though there are patterns that are common to find.

At least in this area we haven't had success with the website
solution for tracking latest snow conditions. Folks have tried
it but it just doesn't get updated frequently enough to be
accurate.

What has worked best for us is an e-mail list. There folks are
encouraged to post condition reports, especially during snow-chasing
times when everyone is looking for enough snow to just be able to
ski. But it's also useful after big snows to find out what trails
have been skied in (very little machine grooming in these parts),
and after ice storms that take down trees and we have to coordinate
volunteers to open trails back up.

-Mitch

Old December 7th 03, 05:46 PM
Ron Andrews

Thanks for the response. I found out the Rochester Nordic Ski Club has
an email list server for snow conditions. I have subscribed and will give
that a try.

--
Ron Andrews
http://members.hostedscripts.com/antispam.html