Can inline wheels works for RS?

Old March 13th 06, 07:58 PM

Default Can inline wheels works for RS?

I don't mean to depress anyone with talk of rollerskis while hopefully
many still have snow, but...

I have a pair of Jesenik classic rollerskis that I love that were only
like $70 delivered from CZ. I see that they have slots in their forks
that are deeper (and narrower) than the wide-ish, smallish classic
wheels that came with them.

I'm wondering if I could use them as skating rollerskis by putting in
some bigger inline skate wheels. It looks like they could accept a
25x100mm wheel. Is there anything special to look or ask for at the
skate shop?

I used inline wheels installed sidebyside once in an attempt at making
RS wheels and they shredded the first day. I'm guessing the lateral
forces did it---they probably want to lean more.

Any tips appreciated.

Link to the skis I use:
http://jesenik.com/rollerski_en/index.php?idktg=568

--JP
upnorthmag.com

Old March 14th 06, 03:06 AM

Jeff:
I've been using inline skate wheels on my old ski skett rollerskis for close
to eight years now. The wheels last about two years at $3/wheel x4 = $12
for wheels. I'm running a small 58mm. diameter with a 94 durometer. You
are correct in that the lateral force applied to the wheel will cause a
separation of the wheel and tire. I found smaller wheels (58mm) with a
solid wheel (no spokes) will hold up for years of skiing. The old ski skett
used a wider tire like the old V2's. I spaced and shimmed the new wheels in
and have never considered putting the original tires back on. Good
luck...Joel
ups.com...

Old March 14th 06, 03:17 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Some brands of rollerskis actually use inline skate wheels; I used to
have such a pair. Whether inline skate wheels will work with your
particular rollerskis, however, is another question -- it probably
depends upon whether the fork width is right, and whether you can
contrive a way of making sure that there is no play. Wheel hardness is
important -- with only two wheels to dissipate heat, inline wheels with
the wrong durometer (too soft) can fail from overheating, especially on
rough pavement. I'd suggest to talking to someone at Jenex (for
example) with some experience in designing rollerskis to get some
suggestions, then experiment on your own.