Snowboard tuning

Old March 11th 05, 03:29 PM
Andrej

Default Snowboard tuning

I want to order the repair tools for the basic repair of the base, edge
filing and sharpening and waxing.
What do I really need? I want to order from this shop
http://www.blue-tomato.at but I don't want to order something that isn't
good.
I've done a lot of reading but I'm still not sure exactly what products are
really needed because the explanation on the site isn't that great.
I figured that I need an iron, wax, a file guide, a plastic scraper (do I
need the metal one for the base for repairing the damage?) .
And what else?

Old March 16th 05, 11:24 PM
beekay beekay is offline
Junior Member

Glad to see you are going to start to tune. it is probably the best thing you can do to your board and your riding. properly tuned equipment is what will take you to the next level, plus save you lots of money if you pay someone to tune your stuff. IT also lets you become one with your board and know more about it.

things needed:
1. 2 abs plastic vises. I found them at Home Depot. they have a C clamp that holds them to a work surface. (picture)
2. a few 2x4's. YOu can measure your bindings and then make the length of the 2x4 to about 1 inch longer than your binding hang, then cut 4 of them and nail them together making a T. It should be evident, but you will want to make the T so that the bottom 2x4 properly seats in the vise.
3. spring clamps to hold the board in place.

Equipment for tuning:
1. Wax scraper
2. horsehair brush
3. graphite wax (black, used as a base preperation tool, more later)
4. rub on flourinated wax either temperature specific (for diff kinds of snow) or general all snow wax. also, I love Zardoz, teflon based no-wax. very fast final base coat on your board. (on the tognar site below).
5. Cork rubbing tool (cheap and useful)
6. old travel iron with no holes in it, or a new one you can get at wal-mart).
7. edge and bevel tool. http://www.tognar.com/bevel_edge_bas...owbo ard.html. I have the skivisions skisharp product at this link. it does both edges at the same time and has many different stones to put in the unit. I like it alot.
Another product that is great that I also have is the Edgetune (http://www.edgetune.com/) Very cool product that uses a Dremmel tool if you have one, or they provide one as part of the product. A bit of practice is needed, but it will sharpen your edges very well, and you can control the bevel.
You will want to have a brush like a small wire brush to brush out the grooves of the files. do not use the brush that you would use for your base or you will then start to incorporate metal filings into your base (not good for speed).
8. Buffing pads (again look at tognar to find these, or your LBS).

http://www.tognar.com/waxtips.html these guys have the stuff. They are racers and know how to tune properly. go to the homepage to see the products they sell. I could not read your site, sorry, do not speak the language.

The vise has 2 purposes:
1. IT is plastic, so you can hold the board in it without scratching your equipment when you are sharpening each edge.
2. it will hold the T you make with the 2x4 for a nice work area when you are waxing.

You can take as much of this as you want, but this is the stuff you need to do the job right. YOu can get into base leveling and stuff, but for now, use these tools for 90% of your tuning sessions and you will be happy. bring it in Once a year for a BASE GRIND that will flatten out your base and get you back to zero again. You do not get many base grinds out of a board so use them sparingly.

The general idea behind the wax is to saturate the base material with wax, which will then become the base layer to apply the wax of the day (either the low flourinated or zardoz). I use Graphite because it is slick and absorbs well. you will use a cleaning solution that will get the dirt and grime out of your base (like simple green or degreaser). then you can apply the graphite with the iron and rub it in to work it in. let it dry and then use the scraper and get it all off (figuratively) you do not want any bumps. it will look like it is all gone. you will then brush this layer and wipe off the remnants. you can then rub on the lowflo wax and use a cork to heat it in. then you use the buff cloth to get it to a smooth sheen. Or apply Zardoz directly to the Graphite and skip the corking. Fast!!!!

sharpening: you will need to find out what bevel the board comes with, the top and bottom usually have preset bevel. you can then increase and decrease from there depending on what you ride. more bevel for ice, less for powder. I learned this while snowboarding in New England (everywhere). its icy there (real ice) and you need edges or you spend a lot of time with a sore arse.

good luck

bk