Homewood 4-9-11

Old April 11th 11, 06:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

Default Homewood 4-9-11

On Apr 10, 6:32*am, VtSkier wrote:
On 04/09/2011 08:02 PM, Richard Henry wrote:

Clear cold morning - ice on my car windshield and frost in the grass
even down here in Auburn. *The ride up and over t he crest was clear
and easy except for the traffic - the line on SR89 heading out of
Truckee toward Tahoe stretched out ahead of me out of sight.

I didn't get quite as good parking as yesterday - I had to walk about
20 feet to the snow ramp up to the lift (and the snow ramp is about
10-12 feet up). *Snow surface was groomed powder or thin fresh powder
over groomed, or thin fresh over crud. *I tried a couple of ungroomed
trails - fresh powder over a breakable crust in the shape of last
week's skiing over 10+ feet of winter accumulation, which made
progress painful for me. *I gave up and made a long tranverse through
the trees back to groomed zoomers.

They have a nice location, right across the road from the lake, and
challenging terrain, but the base facilities are antiquated and small,
and I don't see how they survive with their small parking lot and low
ticket prices. Maybe it's just a mob money laundry. *And the lift
layout makes no sense - the best lift is up the hill and over to one
side, The best terrain is off to the south, served by old double and
triple chairs or long traverses from the top of the lifts. *After
exploring all the corners, I spent a dozen or so runs on the trails
off the HSQ, and then I gave up for the day and headed back to Auburn.

There are two entrances to Homewood. The one you and
I used right off 89. The other is a bit south and unseen
from 89 except for the driveway. I think, though I don't
know that there is another base lodge there, certainly
more parking.

Then there is a large tent, snack bar at mid-mountain.

I found the other base by skiing to it. The parking lot is bigger,
but not much, and the base lodge is about the same size. And the only
escape is an ancient triple that then requires another slow ride to
get back to the "good" side.
Old April 11th 11, 07:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

Default Spring skiing '11 (was Homewood 4-9-11)

On Apr 11, 10:32*am, Alan Baker wrote:

If you're not in it at least up to your knees, it's not powder skiing.

Do you mean the snow depth is to the knees or the snow is blowing up
to your knees?

Often I've skied snow depth to mid thigh that is so light it is not
powder skiing. Face shots, icicle mustache, snow flying everywhere,
but so light that the skiing technique is still that of packed snow.
Very Very difficult to ski off an area you know to be groomed. NO
indication whatsoever of what is underfoot. Fun but weird.
Old April 11th 11, 07:26 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

In article
,
pigo wrote:

On Apr 11, 10:32*am, Alan Baker wrote:

If you're not in it at least up to your knees, it's not powder skiing.

Do you mean the snow depth is to the knees or the snow is blowing up
to your knees?

Snow depth.

Often I've skied snow depth to mid thigh that is so light it is not
powder skiing. Face shots, icicle mustache, snow flying everywhere,
but so light that the skiing technique is still that of packed snow.
Very Very difficult to ski off an area you know to be groomed. NO
indication whatsoever of what is underfoot. Fun but weird.

I understand, but if it isn't at least knee deep, there is essentially
no chances that you're floating on it.

--
Alan Baker
Vancouver, British Columbia
Old April 11th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
twobuddha twobuddha is offline
Banned

On Apr 11, 12:24*pm, pigo wrote:
On Apr 11, 10:32*am, Alan Baker wrote:

If you're not in it at least up to your knees, it's not powder skiing.

Do you mean the snow depth is to the knees or the snow is blowing up
to your knees?

Often I've skied snow depth to mid thigh that is so light it is not
powder skiing. Face shots, icicle mustache, snow flying everywhere,
but so light that the skiing technique is still that of packed snow.
Very Very difficult to ski off an area you know to be groomed. NO
indication whatsoever of what is underfoot. Fun but weird.

Geez, Bob, from my point of view, you don't have balls to ski green
runs at Deer Valley. You know, the runs to the cabin where I have set
meets for three years running, and you weren't man enough to show up?
Maybe you should discuss lying to the cops and getting exposed as a
pathetic coward with your fellow pathetic coward Dickless Baker. How
humiliating for both of you. Do you two discuss being
ppppppuuuuusssssiiiiiieeeessssss?
Old April 11th 11, 08:07 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Richard Henry

On Apr 10, 6:31*am, snowbender
wrote:
On Apr 9, 5:02 pm, Richard Henry wrote:

I didn't get quite as good parking as yesterday - I had to walk about
20 feet to the snow ramp up to the lift (and the snow ramp is about
10-12 feet up). *Snow surface was groomed powder or thin fresh powder
over groomed, or thin fresh over crud. *I tried a couple of ungroomed
trails - fresh powder over a breakable crust in the shape of last
week's skiing over 10+ feet of winter accumulation, which made
progress painful for me. *I gave up and made a long tranverse through
the trees back to groomed zoomers.

Guess you just have to learn how to handle sierra snow/cement and ski
better.

Perfect spring skiing at Heavenly,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_xYQXWZFo

have fun,
snowbender

Why was that clip described as "flatboarding"?
Old April 11th 11, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
pigo[_2_]

On Apr 11, 1:26*pm, Alan Baker wrote:

I understand, but if it isn't at least knee deep, there is essentially
no chances that you're floating on it.

We're probably splitting hairs here but I can powder ski in about boot
top in the right kind of snow. There might be a bump at the bottom but
still ride the arc and float the majority of the turn. Especially as
speed builds.
Old April 11th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

On 4/10/11 11:23 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

clip

Guess you just have to learn how to handle sierra snow/cement and ski
better.

Perfect spring skiing at Heavenly,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_xYQXWZFo

That's not powder skiing, Chai-tea.

I don't see where he claimed it was powder skiing? I agree with you that
3D skiing is at the essence of powder skiing but you apparently are
ignoring current post content in favor of continuing a previous
discussion. Move on...let's have new arguments and blistering repartee.
Old April 11th 11, 09:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

On Apr 11, 1:40*pm, lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/10/11 11:23 AM, Alan Baker wrote:

In article
,
* *wrote:

clip

*Guess you just have to learn how to handle sierra snow/cement and ski
*better.

*Perfect spring skiing at Heavenly,

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_xYQXWZFo

That's not powder skiing, Chai-tea.

I don't see where he claimed it was powder skiing? I agree with you that
3D skiing is at the essence of powder skiing but you apparently are
ignoring current post content in favor of continuing a previous
discussion. Move on...let's have new arguments and blistering repartee.

Blistering repartee? Are you under the mistaken impression that you
are capable of repartee, asshole? There are only two things you do
he participate in an ongoing criminal conspiracy of defamation,
harassment, and threats, and pose as some sort of skiing guru.
I'd be delighted to engage in blistering repartee about you complete
lack of manhood, ethics, and decency, but I am only IT!!!!!! Your
idea of blistering repartee, I know.
Old April 11th 11, 11:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 04/11/2011 02:44 PM, Richard Henry wrote:
On Apr 10, 6:32 am, wrote:
[...]

I know. I said that I saw it, I didn't go over there.
I was having great fun riding up the two ridges and
skiing off the side wherever my fancy took me. It was
a good mid-winter day I was there.
Old April 11th 11, 11:32 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
VtSkier

On 04/11/2011 04:40 PM, lal_truckee wrote:
On 4/10/11 11:23 AM, Alan Baker wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

clip

Guess you just have to learn how to handle sierra snow/cement and ski
better.

Perfect spring skiing at Heavenly,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8_xYQXWZFo

That's not powder skiing, Chai-tea.

I don't see where he claimed it was powder skiing? I agree with you that
3D skiing is at the essence of powder skiing but you apparently are
ignoring current post content in favor of continuing a previous
discussion. Move on...let's have new arguments and blistering repartee.

Especially the "blistering repartee" part.