NRK - Video -

Old November 28th 03, 08:21 PM
Tom B.

Default NRK - Video -

Did anyone else get the video from NRK working? I logged on with my
new userid/pw and all seems good. Connects ok. Player says "Ready".
But no video. Flashes the text "opening media". Then nothing but
black screen. I've had no trouble with other types of internet
video. Would love to see these WC races live!
Old November 28th 03, 09:26 PM
Fredrik

In Tom B. wrote:
Did anyone else get the video from NRK working? I logged on with my
new userid/pw and all seems good. Connects ok. Player says "Ready".
But no video. Flashes the text "opening media". Then nothing but
black screen. I've had no trouble with other types of internet
video. Would love to see these WC races live!

Everything works here, on windows and on mac os x...

Have you tried downloading the last windows media player?

--
Fredrik
Old November 28th 03, 10:32 PM
Terje Mathisen

Tom B. wrote:

Did anyone else get the video from NRK working? I logged on with my
new userid/pw and all seems good. Connects ok. Player says "Ready".
But no video. Flashes the text "opening media". Then nothing but
black screen. I've had no trouble with other types of internet
video. Would love to see these WC races live!

It did work for me the first time I tried, before I wrote my post, but
since then I haven't been able to get it to work. :-(

Maybe they misjudged the amount of interest they would get?

Terje

--
-

Old November 28th 03, 10:39 PM
J999w

OH oh !

Fill me in ... I can get NRK on the big C band satellite dish. I thought it was
all news ???

jw
milwaukee
Old November 29th 03, 08:45 AM
shreddir

It has to be NRK "1", Norways main domestic channel. If this C band feed
is their international feed to North America, it's probably not the good
stuff. A bunch of talking head news shows and documentaries. Just like
when we get BBC America over here, it's not the real deal like BBC-1 so we
don't get the England Team football qualifiers and friendlies.

If you can get the live WC broadcasts ( go to the NRK website and open the
daily broadcast schedule, then use the World clock site to see what time it
is in Oslo) then let me know. Not that I have a C-band dish. Sucks for
me.

Old November 29th 03, 11:08 AM
shreddir

Do any of you who watch from North America get the full high bit rate
stream? When I try watch at 653kb or even the lower 308kb video, the player
immediately buffers out and I end watching a bunch of still screen shots
while I still get the audio. BTW the sound is really good at the high
stream. You can hear the distinct voices, athletes gasping, the snow
squeaking, and stereo spatial effects if you're on headphones,.

I blame my crap ISP, so called Comcast Broadband. Wlhat a bunch of
corporate lying propaganda. High speed connection? What a total joke! The
stream has to jump thru so many of their slow routers that when I try to
ping NRK's server address all I get is a bunch of "timed out messages". I
know there are some regional broadband providers in the US that have better
downloading speeds but out here in the SF Bay Area of Northern Calif. we are
stuck with the Comcast monopoly, unless you want to pay $$$ for high speed
DSL.

Those of you in Europe using corporate T1 lines at work probably have no
problem at all.

Actually I, would rather not too many other schmoes like me not know about
the NRK stream because it might less likely for me to hook onto a watchable
video stream, e.g. excessive server requests. Besides most of you guys
don't really want to stay up ridiculous hours of the night., 2am-5am to
watch this stuff, right?

Old November 29th 03, 04:02 PM
J999w

It has to be NRK "1", Norways main domestic channel.

I plead stupid. I was thinking NHK.

Doh!

I _WISH_ I could see NRK.

jw
milwaukee
Old November 29th 03, 06:16 PM
Frontier News Server

I have a slower DSL connection. All the NRK video comes across at
99Kb/sec
as seen in the properties (right click on playing video). Not great for
full screen.
But ok in small screen.
I've played around with various setting and can't get better..
(Norwegian TV2 comes across at 98Kb/sec) But still pretty cool to watch
live Norwegian
TV. It's a plus that I understand Norwegian.
Now, the question is, do I get up REALLY early to watch the "jakstart"
t-row? :-).