atomic waxless g2--any experiences or alternative suggestions

Old March 1st 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john

Default atomic waxless g2--any experiences or alternative suggestions

I'd like to own a pair of waxless skis for days when the waxing is a
headaches like today (warm wet snow with powder blown into the
tracks).

The RCS seems nice, I saw a closeout Atomic G2 that looks nice--would
this ski be a good bet for a training knock around ski for groomed
tracks? I doubt I'd race on it, so it doesn't have to be the top of
the line, just something with a flex like a normal race ski--any other
models I should look at?
Old March 7th 10, 08:16 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KneeGuy

Am eager to hear what you learn, as I was checking out that same ski.
I've got a pair of Fischer RCR crowns, which are about 8 years old
now. Supposedly they were the same as the regular RCR skis but with
fish scales, designed for racing on those impossible-to-wax days. I
found them to be pretty slow compared to regular racing skis and have
used them when I'm feeling lazy or it's too hard to wax. Not sure if
the slowness is a fit/flex issue or just the nature of the beast. I
know there are more alternatives on the market now, including with
rubber kick zones.

Old March 7th 10, 08:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
KneeGuy

Anyone know anything about the Madshus Terrasonic Classic Zero?
Old March 8th 10, 12:43 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Feb 28, 7:14*pm, john wrote:
I'd like to own a pair of waxless skis for days when the waxing is a
headaches like today (warm wet snow with powder blown into the
tracks).

The RCS seems nice, I saw a closeout Atomic G2 that looks nice--would
this ski be a good bet for a training knock around ski for groomed
tracks? *I doubt I'd race on it, so it doesn't have to be the top of
the line, just something with a flex like a normal race ski--any other
models I should look at?

I got my third day of skiing on my new pair of Atomic "Vasa Race" G2s
today. I picked up the Vasa Race G2s while on holiday in the Methow
Valley late February, skied on them one day in the Methow, then
yesterday and today at Mt. Shasta Nordic.

My Vasa Race skis are marked at 201 cm. The grip zone is about 62 cm
long, 36 cm forward of the balance point (first Pilot bar). The grip
section is a "negative" pattern in that the pattern is machined into
the base and does not project above the base. The grip zone being
about a third of the rated length and not too much longer than the
grip wax zone of my waxables, and the negative pattern give the ski a
pretty good glide for a "no kick wax" ski. That said, it feels a bit
slower than what I would expect out of my waxable Atomics.

Given that the reason for buying the G2s is fun skiing, I did not A-B
compare the G2s glide against any of my waxables. They did feel a bit
slower than the Atomic RC9s that is switched between in yesterdays
ski.

The day of skiing on the Vasa Race G2s in the Methow were during a
"classic" no-wax ski day (sorry for the pun). Some new but wet snow
and air temperatures in the low plus range (30s F) on groomed and
track set trails. (The Methow groomers did a great job on the snow we
had.) As expected of a "no grip wax" ski, grip was pretty good on
climbs and glide was pretty good but not as good as waxables on a
"blue extra" day. Double poling on the flats was easy. Glide was
certainly better than wax that iced.

Yesterday's ski at Shasta Nordic was on slow snow (even skate skis
felt slow). Shasta had two feet of new mid-week with grooming with
the heavy equipment on Friday. Saturday was warm so the combination
of moist snow and only the factory grind on the Vasa Race skis, and a
slightly soft track resulting in compression energy loss resulted in
everyone's skis feeling slow, including my fun skate skis. Setting
kick was easy under these conditions.

Today's trails froze overnight and yesterday's glaze resulted in
smooth hard tracks (the skate lanes were regroomed but the classic
tracks were not reset). Grip on the hard tracks was marginal and I
expect that klister would have been a better choice on tracks that are
not compliant for patterned skis. Grip improved as the track
softened.

The weight a little more than my Atomic waxables, but not a whole lot
more.

Bottom line is that the G2s are pretty much as advertised - pretty
good glide and pretty good grip for a "no grip wax" ski and a good
choice for no hassle fun skiing. If racing, well waxed skis or zeros
as appropriate would be faster unless its a long race with changing
difficult to wax conditions.

Old March 14th 10, 12:54 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
john

On Mar 7, 9:43*pm, Edgar wrote:
On Feb 28, 7:14*pm, john wrote:

[...]

I ended up buying a pair of the rcs crown no wax, an outfit had a
single pair of the longest skis in med flex, I weigh 180 so hopefully
they will be stiff enough. we have a little snow left here so i'm
going to try them today, we have wet old snow and mixed precip over
dog crap and leaves, should be a perfect day for them
Old March 15th 10, 10:27 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

On Mar 14, 9:54*am, john wrote:
On Mar 7, 9:43*pm, Edgar wrote:

On Feb 28, 7:14*pm, john wrote:

[...]

So?? Did the RCS Crowns work out for you??

I have a pair of rcs crowns that I never liked until I spent about 2
hrs with a file and sand paper and shorted the grip pocket by nearly
20cm. Now they work quite well for me.
Old March 15th 10, 02:31 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Edgar[_2_]

On Mar 15, 4:27*am, Jim wrote:
On Mar 14, 9:54*am, john wrote:

On Mar 7, 9:43*pm, Edgar wrote:

On Feb 28, 7:14*pm, john wrote:

[...]

I thought that Fisher cuts a negative pattern into their "no-wax"
base. You would have to do a lot of cutting to flatten the grip zone
ends, then would have an uneven base. Did you do it by filling the
grip pattern first with P-tex repair material?
Old March 16th 10, 10:16 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Jim[_3_]

On Mar 15, 11:31*am, Edgar wrote:
On Mar 15, 4:27*am, Jim wrote:

On Mar 14, 9:54*am, john wrote:

On Mar 7, 9:43*pm, Edgar wrote:

On Feb 28, 7:14*pm, john wrote:

[...]

The RCS Crowns, at least the ones I have, are not a negative base -
they have a rather aggressive positive structure. I mostly used sand
paper with a hand sanding block since I was afraid of taking too much
off with the motorized sander.