Tight boots....

Old February 16th 06, 05:49 PM

Default Tight boots....

I've just received my Northwave Freedom boots which I bought on line (I
know... I should have tried them on first...). I go boarding next week, and
the boots feel quite tight on my big toes.

Being a novice, I just wondered how tight the boots should be anyway? If I
spend a few days wearing them around the house they are bound to stretch a
little, which may be enough to make the difference. They certainly don't
feel uncomfortable (at the moment) but I can feel my big toes touching the
end. Is this good or bad? I'm usually a size 9.5 ish, and I bought size 10
thinking this would be ok. Any advice greatly appreciated. If it comes to it
I can always sell them on and hire some out there.

Cheers!

James

Old February 16th 06, 06:10 PM

James Varty wrote:
I've just received my Northwave Freedom boots which I bought on line (I
know... I should have tried them on first...). I go boarding next week, and
the boots feel quite tight on my big toes.

Being a novice, I just wondered how tight the boots should be anyway? If I
spend a few days wearing them around the house they are bound to stretch a
little, which may be enough to make the difference. They certainly don't
feel uncomfortable (at the moment) but I can feel my big toes touching the
end. Is this good or bad? I'm usually a size 9.5 ish, and I bought size 10
thinking this would be ok. Any advice greatly appreciated. If it comes to it
I can always sell them on and hire some out there.

Snowboard boots should fit very snug with your toes just touching the
front end of the liner when you are standing up (but not curling back
of the pressure on the toes). When you bend your knees into an athletic
stance, your toes will pull back away from the front. This is in
addition to the liner streching out half a size over a few days. So it
sounds like you boot is a good fit. Again, try bending your knees and
flexing the boot and seeing if their are any pressure points or hot
spots, heel lift or if your toes bang into the front of the boot.

In general (really depends on the brand and boot) this usually means
you need to size about a half size down I'm normally a size 8 sneaker,
but I ride size 7-7.5 boots most of the time. A better test is to use
the mondo size and measure the length of your foot in centimeters, the
mondo size (I'm a 25.5) is much more accurate as again difference
companies set their US sizes kind of arbitrary.

Good luck

Old February 16th 06, 07:01 PM

Chop your big toenail down as far as you can...

Old February 16th 06, 07:20 PM

"og" wrote in news:1140118883.851909.171980
@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Chop your big toenail down as far as you can...

Generally not good advice for anyone that is susceptible to hangnails. An
infected ingrown hangnail is nasty business.
Old February 16th 06, 07:50 PM

Cheers guys, I'm now suitably reassured! You're right, when my knees are
bent they are very roomy

Thanks!

James

Old February 17th 06, 02:56 AM

"James Varty" wrote in news:dt2oid$k9h
:

Cheers guys, I'm now suitably reassured! You're right,
when my knees are bent they are very roomy

Aren't the liners also heat moldable? FWIW I've found my
Legends to not really change much at all and wear them
1/2 size small - but be warned, Northwaves can vary between
model and generally also can be a little bit narrower than
other boots.
Old February 17th 06, 12:25 PM

Your toes may just slightly touch the end of the boot. However if you
walk with them, they should be comfortable and you should not even be
aware of your toes hitting the end, unless perhaps you focus on it.
I'd wear them around the house a bit and see if they are comfortable or
annoying, as when it comes to toe room, there is a fine line between
the two.

Old February 17th 06, 02:33 PM
speede541 speede541 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Varty
Cheers guys, I'm now suitably reassured! You're right, when my knees are
bent they are very roomy
Do not forget that, like ski boots, sock choice makes a noteworthy difference!

I prefer fairly thin wool socks. You'll generally see them in a range of thicknesses: "Liners", "race", light padding, medium padding and thick padding.

When boots are new, using just liners the first couple of times out can make the initial days more comfortable. As boots break in / pack out, you'll have the option to move to thicker socks to fill the voids.
Old February 19th 06, 10:42 PM

James Varty wrote:
I've just received my Northwave Freedom boots which I bought on line (I
know... I should have tried them on first...). I go boarding next week, and
the boots feel quite tight on my big toes.

Being a novice, I just wondered how tight the boots should be anyway? If I
spend a few days wearing them around the house they are bound to stretch a
little, which may be enough to make the difference. They certainly don't
feel uncomfortable (at the moment) but I can feel my big toes touching the
end. Is this good or bad? I'm usually a size 9.5 ish, and I bought size 10
thinking this would be ok. Any advice greatly appreciated. If it comes to it
I can always sell them on and hire some out there.

Cheers!

James

Sounds to me like you have bought the perfect size. The boots will
loosen up by at least half a size once you've used them for a week or so
amd you don't want them to be too loose after that or your heel will
lift all the time.