Some questions about Kirchberg, Kitzbühel, St. Johann in Tirol, Söll, Westendorf, etc.

Old November 13th 03, 03:39 AM
Usenet user

Default Some questions about Kirchberg, Kitzbühel, St. Johann in Tirol, Söll, Westendorf, etc.

I am planning on going to this area in February. I was wondering if it is
easily possible to stay in one town and take the bus or train to all the ski
areas listed above. Which would be the cheaper and more convenient place t
ostay?

Also, I heard that this whole area was slated to be linked into one big massive
interlinked area like Les Portes du Soleil. Is this true? Is is linked now?

Thanks
Danke

Old November 14th 03, 06:46 AM
Steve

"Usenet user" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
hlink.net...
I was wondering if it is easily possible to stay in one town and take the

bus or train to all the ski areas listed above.

Maybe not easily possible to get to all from all, but possible. Your most
convenient bet may be to take advantage of the occasional "ski trips"
organised by ski schools, bus companies or local travel company reps.

Which would be the cheaper and more convenient place tostay?

Cheaper tends to mean less convenient, either as a resort or as
accommodation. Probably the best combination of price and convenience for
the whole area would be found in the resorts of Brixen or Hopfgarten
(although I don't find them attractive and their local skiing is on the
sunny side).

Also, I heard that this whole area was slated to be linked into one big

massive
interlinked area like Les Portes du Soleil. Is this true? Is is linked

now?

It is supposed to be with the addition of linking lifts between Kirchberg
and Westendorf. Having also spent some seasons in the Portes du Soleil, I
don't think you could compare them even if the linking did happen. The
joining up of the Skiwelt with Westendorf, the Kitzbühel area and St Johann
would create a giant C instead of a circuit (unless some major lift-building
took place at the other end of the Skiwelt) with the Kitzbühel area out
towards Pass Thurn on a limb - and that's not particularly well-linked at
the best of times.

The last I heard, the Kirchberg-Westendorf plan was stalled on landowner
disputes (what's new?). Just to comment on Ian's post: the environmental
movement is strong, growing (due to EU traffic problems) and angry (due to
past ski area betrayals) in the Tyrol. However, a major part of the
influence against ski area expansion is brought by ski tourers from all over
(but especially from population and political centres like Innsbruck), who
wish to keep their favourite touring areas untouched by lifts.

--
Steve

http://www.skiseefeld.com/